Author Topic: The movie 300 -- debuts Friday  (Read 5582 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Re: The movie 300 -- debuts Friday
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 07:10:46 AM »
What's the male equivalent of a catfight???  laugh

I don't know, Ben, but I suspect it has something to do with your avitar and pies...or 2x4's...

I am really, really excited for this movie to come out.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 07:13:06 AM »

Dog fight.

It's funny, but a lot of people for some reason think broadly of dogs as male and cats as female. My two dogs (one now) were both female, but I would often think of them in the broad sense in masculine terms.

"I spit on the rest of you poor fools who don't bother to go back in time and relive actual history as it occurs."

That happens every frigging Friday morning at our staff meeting...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 08:31:45 AM »

I don't know, Ben, but I suspect it has something to do with your avitar and pies...or 2x4's...

I am really, really excited for this movie to come out.

I just can't get excited about the trailers. NONE of the filming was done on location, it was all done in front of bluescreens, like Sky Captain, which completely blew.

Whereas Gladiator was filmed across a number of countries, and shows it.

This looks like an xbox game, not a movie, IMO.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »
Because it's supposed to look that way.  It's supposed to look like a live action graphic novel, for which Frank Miller is famous.

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2007, 08:51:18 AM »
Because it's supposed to look that way.  It's supposed to look like a live action graphic novel, for which Frank Miller is famous.

Chris
Should really keep a tally of how many times this has had to be said.

I'll probably see it, but I'm a little bemused by all the Sparta fans that seem to be appearing. Molon Labe and all that, but I'm not a fan of Sparta in general.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 08:55:09 AM »
Yea, I don't really go into it expecting to compare it to something like Gladiator, it's apples and oranges. This is a different take, a different perspective, on a very important event. I'm not looking for something 'creepily realistic'. I will enjoy the unique style and appreciate that they are trying to underscore the human experiences and emotions that were (possibly?) going on, with basis on historical fact.

For example, I can enjoy Pulp Fiction and still enjoy something like Sin City.  I could enjoy both cubism and romanticism, or dare I say it, non-fictional literature AND The History Channel.  shocked
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »
"non-fictional literature AND The History Channel."

You book hater, you!  cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 12:15:19 PM »

Chris
Should really keep a tally of how many times this has had to be said.

I'll probably see it, but I'm a little bemused by all the Sparta fans that seem to be appearing. Molon Labe and all that, but I'm not a fan of Sparta in general.

Comparative evils.

Some of the Spartans were full citizens, some had fewer rights and some were helots (slaves).  They were fighting alongside more democratic cities as well, but all of which had slavery of one form or another.

However reactionary and tainted those first democratic city-states were, it cannot be denied that they provided the foundation for the better more equal forms of democracy we have now.

In contrast Persia under Darius and Xerxes was a totalitarian society whose king was the only free man and was self-proclaimed the avatar of Ahura-Mazda.  Even his top generals and provincial governors were described, by him and themselves, as his slaves.

Helots or not, I'd rather root for Greece.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »
You know, I think I'm seeing something here...

I think you hate TV, and people who enjoy TV.

cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

And you're touchy.  I will now continue to laugh at you. 

cheesy  cheesy  cheesy

You're full of it if you think that you could get the same type of survey overview from any book (other than Cliffnotes, perhaps) in the same time that it would take to watch the show on the history channel.

Oh my.  Go to a bookstore, then.  I'm sure you'll find some.  If not, you could definitely get a better, quicker overview from Wikipedia, or certain history websites. 

Ron

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 01:06:49 PM »
Michael Medved loved it, he couldn't have been more complementary towards the movie. He said he believes it is going to be a huge hit. Any propaganda about it being about Bush and against the war is silly he said, if anything it is a movie that lionizes values conservatives champion.

As a side note a good friend of me and my sister did the soundtrack for the movie.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »

What's the male equivalent of a catfight???

Pissin' contest.

*pulls up chair, pops a beer, prepares to enjoy the show*

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 03:18:33 PM »
I may end up breaking down and seeing the thing.  The more I say to myself how bad it will be, the fewer expectations I'll walk in with I guess.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
Has anyone seen it as of yet?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 08:04:46 PM »
I just realized how great a day this is for certain gun nuts.  The DC gun ban story earlier today, then going to see the Molon Labe movie on Friday night.  Woo-hoo.   smiley

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »
I just saw it.  It was every bit as good as I expected.  Though I am not sure why they decided to portray Xerxes as a flaming transvestite. undecided

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
I just saw it.  It was every bit as good as I expected.  Though I am not sure why they decided to portray Xerxes as a flaming transvestite. undecided

I think that was decadence writ large.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 11:38:54 PM »
Michael Medved loved it, he couldn't have been more complementary towards the movie

Then he's the first.  Everything I've heard is that this one will sweep the Golden Razzberries.  It's not even "so bad it's good".

Still may go see it-because it's debut is at the local IMAX.  bigger is better, right?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2007, 10:56:51 AM »
Michael Medved loved it, he couldn't have been more complementary towards the movie

Then he's the first.  Everything I've heard is that this one will sweep the Golden Razzberries.  It's not even "so bad it's good".

Still may go see it-because it's debut is at the local IMAX.  bigger is better, right?

Rotten Tomatos has it fairly evenly split last I checked, and many of the negatives really are reflecting dislike solely of the visual style, they either like it or don't.  Also some of the reviewers can't seem to wrap their heads around it being an adaptation of a graphic novel.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »

Ask any modern Greek, because all Persian scum are.   grin

I liked it.  The visuals were very interesting.  Sword handling wasn't bad.  Phalanx tactics were ok.  Could have been better, but I can't think of anything strongly off the top of my head I'd improve. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »
I saw it. Pretty good, albeit not perfect.

Visuals and style are the best quality. Eloquence was there but not as good as it could be (I guess Spartans are laconic, hehe, pun intended). Being a comics adaptation makes certain scenes really good, others not so much. I felt it would have been better if it were about 15 min shorter by tightening the exposition a bit. Historical accuracy is necessarily sacrificed (Artemisium, Themistocles, Salamis) for artistic improvement, but not too badly.

From a perspective of political connotations, I did not see Xerxes being made Bush, more like Dems and "anti-war" crowd being the priests and the corrupt politician. Then again, eye of the beholder...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »
http://www2.irna.com/en/news/view/line-22/0703138916193445.htm

Movie called `300' insults culture of world countries, Elham
Tehran, March 13, IRNA

Iran-Elham-Culture
Government spokesman, Gholam-Hossein Elham said Tuesday that the movie called `300' insults the culture of world countries.

The statement was made in response to the question raised about the anti-Iran movie dubbed `300'.

The government spokesman referred to the movie as part of the extensive cultural aggression aiming to degenerate cultures of world states.

Elham noted that the Iranian nation and those involved in cultural activities will respond to such a cultural aggression.

The new movie `300' was produced in Hollywood based on Frank Miller's graphic. It was directed by Zack Snyder.

The movie has fabricated the history with depicting a war between Iran and Greece, whereas, no Greek king dared to stand up to the Persian Empire or the Emperor Xerxes.

Though Sparta's King Leonidas cherished such a dream, but, he lost his head and Iranian fighters threw his head before Emperor Xerxes's feet and told him that he had attempted a suicide attack to Persian Army.

2326/1416

---> Iran-Elham-Culture
Okay, I just might go see it after all.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »
The movie has fabricated the history with depicting a war between Iran and Greece, whereas, no Greek king dared to stand up to the Persian Empire or the Emperor Xerxes. Though Sparta's King Leonidas cherished such a dream, but, he lost his head and Iranian fighters threw his head before Emperor Xerxes's feet and told him that he had attempted a suicide attack to Persian Army.

Historical "re-writing" like that tells you all you need to know about Iran and its "democracy".

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 05:00:52 PM »
Obviously what he says is true, it explains why we're all speaking Persian today.

Wait...  rolleyes

This is a perfect example of the Eastern tradition of not being able to disassociate truth from politics and religion.  No heritage of free exploration of ideas.

Thank you Greeks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 07:41:58 PM »
King Phillip II cherished such a dream.  His son accomplished that dream. 
I think there were also hill tribes and such that the Persians never conquered that Alexander did. 

Oh well.  The Persians have gone downhill ever since Cyrus the Great died.  Smiley

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
The critics certainly got this one wrong, didn't they?   grin

300 was exactly what it promised to be: a cool, violent action movie with excellent and unique graphics, and no pretenses about it being a documentary.

Go see it, y'all will like it.  It's definitely worth th cost of admission (and how many modern movies can boast that?)  Just remember enjoy the movie for its entertainment value.  If you wanna know what really went down the grab a good history book.