Author Topic: Is this just an oulde pharte problem?  (Read 4677 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Is this just an oulde pharte problem?
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
I was talked into watching a network television show - the first time I have done so in years.

Hory clap, Batman!  The background music is louder than the dialog!  If there was dialog.  All I got was snippets of words when the music paused for a second or two.

So, is this merely an oulde pharte problem caused by hair growing out of my ears and generally losing the ability to hear certain tones?  Or have the networks (ABC in this case, Agents of Shield* to be particular) never bothered to listen to their productions?

stay safe.

* - I refuse to acronymize it and put periods in between all the letters.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Is this just an oulde pharte problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »
Dunno.  I haven't watched significant amounts of notwork TeeVee since Babylon 5 came to its finale.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
I think it's an old fart problem. My wife and I have no problem hearing the dialog on that show.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »
Agree that many shows have background music and effects that swamp the dialog - in fact, about a year or two back, the local rag's TV critic mentioned in his column that this was the single most frequent complaint he sees from TV viewers. In fact, some hardware manufacturers are adding sound modes like "Clear Voice" to their TVs to try and deal with this issue.

And it's not just TV - programs, it exists on DVD and Blu0Ray movies, too; some players have a setting that boosts the center channel (which contains most dialog) by 3dB in an effort to make speech intelligible.

Sometimes it's so bad on certain programs I have to bypass the TV speakers and put the sound through my home theater system - that does a better job of separating out the dialog than the pseudo-surround from the TV's own stereo speakers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
I'm losing my hearing so I know what you are going through.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »

Is this just an oulde pharte problem?

Yes.  And I'm on your lawn, too.   :P
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
I have a hard time with it as well.  I tend to watch TV and movies with captions on even when I can hear the dialog just to make sure I don't miss anything.

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »
I was just watching Ronin and having a real hard time understanding the dialog. I rationalized that movie soundtracks are super dynamic, I dont have a proper center speaker, and I need bigger speakers. I'm not even 30 yet so it can't be my hearing.

Seriously though, I wish they mastered DVDs with a "nighttime mode" compressed soundtrack.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
I have the same problem. Not so much since I got a Samsung sound bar with the dedicated center "voice" speaker. Even then, it has several modes, and if I put it on movie mode, I still have the problem. I end up listening to a lot of stuff in "news" mode, or else I put on my wireless headphones, which seem to alleviate the problem to a great degree, but can get uncomfortable towards the end of a long movie.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
I haven't noticed this problem, and I tend to watch that stuff on old TV sets and mediocre PC components. I don't have especially good hearing, either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 01:05:24 AM »
No problem here. I sold my last tv on a yard sale 18 years ago when we moved out to the farm.
What little exposure I've had to network teevee since seemed the parts I could hear were a crappy waste of time and energy and the parts I couldn't hear were worse.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 06:58:41 AM »
zahc:

Seriously though, I wish they mastered DVDs with a "nighttime mode" compressed soundtrack.

Me too, great idea.  I was toying with the idea of experimenting with putting clipper diodes on the inputs of my external powered computer speakers.  Another problem is the widely-varying volume when switching from one you-tube video to another.  Example:  I like to watch vids of engine startups.  I set the volume for one and the next one blows my ears off.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
has anyone tried using a good EQ?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
Huh? what'd you say?

I've got a bit of high frequency loss. Not sure how extensive it is but a few years ago wife was watching some documentary where they were showing hearing tests. When they got to the high freq sounds I couldn't hear it. My daughter in the next room could.
I also can't hear the alarm on my Casio G-shock unless it's right next to my ear.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »
I wonder if its a problem of speaker settings (whether the mixing settings in the original material or in the user's equipment).

Maybe the audio channels for the broadcast / cablecast is mixed for a modern 5.1 system?
Maybe the audio settings on the TV are set for 5.1 system that isn't hooked up?

I notice on my Netflix streams that Netflix defaults to 5.1 audio, even though I only have built in TV speakers. Switching it to std stereo makes the audio much cleaner. I've seen this many time with my setup that mismatched settings or incoming signal will wash out the dialog and cause the music and background effects to overwhelm it.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
I end up listening to a lot of stuff in "news" mode, or else I put on my wireless headphones, which seem to alleviate the problem to a great degree, but can get uncomfortable towards the end of a long movie.

What brand do you use and what kind of price are you talking about? I been thinking about a set for watching the tube after the wife goes to bed. How's the quality, etc?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
What brand do you use and what kind of price are you talking about? I been thinking about a set for watching the tube after the wife goes to bed. How's the quality, etc?

I started out with some expensive Sennheisers, which, while they produced really great sound, also delivered static, apparently from other wireless devices (I live in a condo complex), even though I would continually cycle through wireless channels. There were a couple of places in the house that I could sit without getting interference, but it was unacceptable to me. That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend them to someone in a different environment, less prone to interference - they are a great headphone.

I'm currently using the Sony MDR-RF985RK. They also deliver great sound, but I don't get any interference with them.

I really like headphone sound, because I seem to be able to pick up everything in the sound range of whatever I'm watching much more clearly than over the speakers, especially voices. The only downside for me, as I mentioned above, is they can get a little tiresome to wear for longer periods. A two hour movie isn't bad at all though. There might be some acceptable ultra lightweight headphones out there, I just didn't find any that would plug into my TV's optical.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »
I started out with some expensive Sennheisers, which, while they produced really great sound, also delivered static, apparently from other wireless devices (I live in a condo complex), even though I would continually cycle through wireless channels. There were a couple of places in the house that I could sit without getting interference, but it was unacceptable to me. That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend them to someone in a different environment, less prone to interference - they are a great headphone.

I'm currently using the Sony MDR-RF985RK. They also deliver great sound, but I don't get any interference with them.

I really like headphone sound, because I seem to be able to pick up everything in the sound range of whatever I'm watching much more clearly than over the speakers, especially voices. The only downside for me, as I mentioned above, is they can get a little tiresome to wear for longer periods. A two hour movie isn't bad at all though. There might be some acceptable ultra lightweight headphones out there, I just didn't find any that would plug into my TV's optical.

Wow, thanks for the great info! It's just what I was looking for. The price on them is really decent too!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »

I pulled the trigger on a set of those.

They are great for the price! Thanks for the recommendation Ben!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30:47 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a set of those.

They are great for the price! Thanks for the recommendation Ben!

No problemo!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »
I'm in my 20s and I've got the same problem - especially an issue with newer films. I just have TV speakers, no special sound system. I have to jack up the volume to hear what the hell people are saying, then comes the insanely loud gunshots and explosions, and I've got to drop volume again. Quite annoying, so many times I just stick with older movies and TV shows.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »
I think it's an old fart problem. My wife and I have no problem hearing the dialog on that show.

I have to partially retract that statement. Although we have no problem with dialog on Marvel's AOS, a lot of other shows do present that problem.
I just got a sound bar, which sounds really good. However, I wish I'd referred to Ben's post about his before I bought this one. Mine has no "News" setting and such.  =(

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »
What is this "television" of which you speak?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 10:16:30 PM »
If I could just find a way to mute the laugh track on some of those sitcoms, they might be watchable. The Big Bang Theory, for example...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
I wonder if its a problem of speaker settings (whether the mixing settings in the original material or in the user's equipment).

Maybe the audio channels for the broadcast / cablecast is mixed for a modern 5.1 system?
Maybe the audio settings on the TV are set for 5.1 system that isn't hooked up?

I notice on my Netflix streams that Netflix defaults to 5.1 audio, even though I only have built in TV speakers. Switching it to std stereo makes the audio much cleaner. I've seen this many time with my setup that mismatched settings or incoming signal will wash out the dialog and cause the music and background effects to overwhelm it.

Another vote for checkng your system's settings. Make sure the center channel is enabled. If it isn't, you'll get the exact problem you described... little or no dialog and tons of ambient/music/fill.

Also, if you have a cable box of some sort, make sure it's set properly for your TV setup (2 channel stereo for a TV-only system, 5.1 for a home theatre system, etc)

Brad
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:02:57 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB