Author Topic: This will piss off BSL (among others)  (Read 4243 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
This will piss off BSL (among others)
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:47 AM »
Someone slip BSL some Valium before she reads this.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OR_SHEEPDOGS_SHOT_OROL-?SITE=ORMED&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BEND, Ore. (AP) -- A retired Oregon State Police trooper and his brother have been sentenced to probation and ordered to pay $500 fines after pleading no contest to charges stemming from the killing of three Great Pyrenees sheepdogs in the Ochoco National Forest.
The Bulletin newspaper of Bend reports ( http://is.gd/xoHiRG ) that Craig and Paul Johnson shot the dogs in August 2012 while hunting elk. ....
But wait - it gets worse.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20131029/NEWS01/310290373/1001/NEWS01&nav_category=NEWS01#

In court, the brothers claimed they shot the dogs because they were chasing elk, were aggressive toward them, and that they never saw the band of about 1,000 sheep grazing nearby, Vitolins said. “They then blamed the victim, Gordon Clark," Vitolins said.
She said the brothers faulted Clark for failing to post the proper signs that his flock was grazing nearby and for failing to properly mark the dogs and keep them close to the flock. Clark and Vitolins said the sheep owner had posted signs.

A call to Paul Johnson was not returned Monday. A number for Craig Johnson was disconnected.

Contacted at their hunting camp Aug. 27, 2012, by sheriff’s Deputy Brian Bottoms, Craig Johnson said the “dogs screwed up their hunt by chasing the elk out of the area," Bottoms wrote in his report. “‘Quite frankly, we were going to shoot every one of them,’ meaning what they believed to be the wild dogs that they saw."

The two, at first, allowed Bottoms to leave the camp without telling the deputy they knew anything about the shootings, according to the deputy. When Bottoms returned later in the day, Craig Johnson owned up to the shootings, the deputy wrote. “Craig also informed me it was not until I had mentioned the sheepherders guard dogs were shot that his heart sank, and he knew at that time they had screwed up," Bottoms’ report states.

Attorney Jon Springer, of Bend, said Monday he’s known Craig Johnson “the better part of 30 years." Springer represented the former trooper on the shooting charges. “I find Craig Johnson to be one of the most honest people I’ve ever met in my life," Springer said. “When he came to me, telling me this is the story, I believed him."

If that's the most honest person lawyer Springer has met in his life,  :facepalm:

The dogs were chasing elk out of the area.  The dogs were not attacking the elk, trying to bring them down.  And the day was ruined for these two intrepid hunters, so they got even.  Where is the I'm-gonna-beat-you-with-a-baseball-bat smiley?   " :mad: " just does not convey my thoughts adequately.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
Re: This will piss off BSL (among others)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »
I'm at a loss for words. 

That Shepherd is a calmer man then I for sure.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
Never mind. Can't post what my opinion is. Suffice it to say, I'm not at all surprised at the actions of these badged idiots
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »
three dogs down,  who's watching the sheep now?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
Seems cops don't like "sheepdogs" too much.  Gosh, I would have never have guessed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
Ive seen hunters think its hilarious to shoot any dog they come across.

Trespassing poachers will shoot landowners dogs that are just out on their property, too.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
Thats a good way to disappear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
BEND, Ore. (AP) -- A retired Oregon State Police trooper and his brother have been sentenced to probation and ordered to pay $500 fines after pleading no contest to charges stemming from the killing of three Great Pyrenees sheepdogs in the Ochoco National Forest.
The Bulletin newspaper of Bend reports ( http://is.gd/xoHiRG ) that Craig and Paul Johnson shot the dogs in August 2012 while hunting elk. ....

So they paid fines to the state? The state isn't the one who was damaged by the actions.

Can't a judge order restitution to the owner for his loss, or will he have to hire a lawyer and sue for his losses, which are about $400 or so each for puppies, which will require some training? That would be worth some $$ as well. Unless the offenders could be forced to pay his legal fees the rancher is screwed.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
^^^^with the cost of training?  that wont be cheap.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »
What is the law on this sort of thing? 

Say this happened to your dog that had a massive time investment into training for what it does (herding, hunting, whatever) and you ended up suing.  Are damages limited to the cost of the dog, or is the training and associated expenses compensated too?  If you did all the training yourself, it is not like you could come up with receipts.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
What is the law on this sort of thing? 

Say this happened to your dog that had a massive time investment into training for what it does (herding, hunting, whatever) and you ended up suing.  Are damages limited to the cost of the dog, or is the training and associated expenses compensated too?  If you did all the training yourself, it is not like you could come up with receipts.

Some dogs are more equal than others  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
What is the law on this sort of thing? . . .
Laws vary from one state to another; here's a table:  http://www.animallaw.info/articles/arusdogschasewildlifetable.htm

Here's what it says about Oregon:
No person shall hunt or trap on a wildlife refuge.  A dog found unlawfully hunting or tracking any game mammal or bird (subject to specific enumerated hunting provisions) may be killed if not licensed and wearing a collar or if while wearing a collar, the owner is notified and the dog continues to hunt or track the game animal.

IANAL, but I take this to mean you can't shoot a dog that's licensed and wearing a collar, even if it is hunting or tracking game, unless you notify the owner first; an UN-collared dog chasing game would seem to be a legal target. And you can't just shoot any dog just because he's out and about unless he's chasing game. The reference to "hunting provisions" may include specifics for certain types of hunting with dogs (Birds for sure - maybe mountain lions, too?) which may or may not apply to elk and deer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »
Stock Guardians require much less training then hunting and herding dogs. Much of what they do is instinctual rather then learned.

However, good stock guardians can be worth quiet a bit more then $400.

I'm not even going to bother to comment on this incident, as there really is nothing that hasn't already been said.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
I see messages on gun boards all the time by hunters claiming to shoot any dog on sight while they are hunting.  :mad:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=9124740&postcount=147
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:33:42 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
Ive seen hunters think its hilarious to shoot any dog they come across.

Trespassing poachers will shoot landowners dogs that are just out on their property, too.

I have never understood why there isn't an open season on poachers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »
I have never understood why there isn't an open season on poachers.

Or for people who go around shooting other peoples dogs.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
I'm really surprised that GP's would be chasing game instead of staying with the sheep  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
I'm really surprised that GP's would be chasing game instead of staying with the sheep  =|

They'll chase off anything that isn't stock.

An owner told us about how her Anatolian was protecting his paddock from intruding turtles. She had to walk the feild and pick up all the empty turtle shells everytime she mowed.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
They'll chase off anything that isn't stock.

That makes sense but I don't think they would chase too far away from the herd.

I don't have much tolerance for stray dogs especially in packs.  There was a pack running around here a while back and killing chickens, etc.  Lots of people shot at them but I never saw them on our place.  I assume someone finally connected (without mentioning it  ;) ) because they suddenly seemed to no longer be running about. 

But you sorta hope people are smart enough to tell livestock guard dogs from the feral dogs that are harassing the herd  :facepalm:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »
Or for people who go around shooting other peoples dogs.

Aggressive dogs on my property no matter it's size are fair game.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »
Aggressive dogs on my property no matter it's size are fair game.

Yeah, but aggressive dogs on their property are not.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »
Yeah, but aggressive dogs on their property are not.

^^^ This....

....come on my property and mess with my dogs, and you'll see that their master bites hardest of all.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
Wva about 1980 a guy killed neighbors dog , outa meaness. Next afternoon he got shot in his driveway in front of witnesses. Shooter walked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
But you sorta hope people are smart enough to tell livestock guard dogs from the feral dogs that are harassing the herd  :facepalm:

That's your problem, right there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »
Wva about 1980 a guy killed neighbors dog , outa meaness. Next afternoon he got shot in his driveway in front of witnesses. Shooter walked

As he should have.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design