Author Topic: New, insulated gas tube for M-4  (Read 1538 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
New, insulated gas tube for M-4
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:17:24 AM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/11/06/armor-development-group-insulon-m4-thermal-shroud/

Extends the time it takes to melt the gas tube during sustained fire, which was a cause of catastrophic failure.

Now if only we had a war to test it out.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: New, insulated gas tube for M-4
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:36 AM »
Too bad it's just thermal images, and AR's/M4's didn't have a last-ditch "lightsaber option" for CQB/Melee fighting, where the handguards fell away, and you could swing the ultra-hot barrel, making a "Voom" noise that went "Fisssssssss" when you cut some charging hadji in half.
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »
Well, there's always the time honored practice involving a red-hot poker...  :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
How many rounds of sustained fire does it take to cause a normal gas tube to fail?

I have dumped 8 to 10 mags of 5.45 through my 5.45 AR with the bump fire stock.  It was hot, but it still worked. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »
If you're toasting gas tubes in a firefight the solution is not a better gas tube, but a water-cooled Vickers and a lake.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
If you're toasting gas tubes in a firefight the solution is not a better gas tube, but a water-cooled Vickers and a lake.
:rofl:  OK not VERY funny, but I got a good chuckle out of that! :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
Gas piston, FTW.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56:39 PM »

At Verdun one British machine gun section fired over one million rounds in , IIRC, one day. The guns were so hot they were urinating in the water cans as they had no water left.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 01:35:47 AM »
Yep, if you're toasting gas tubes in a firefight, you are clearly not using enough Artillery and Close Air Support.

Never toasted any M16 gas tubes, but we did ruin an M60 barrel by linking far, far too many 100 round belts of 4/1 ball/tracer mix together.  To the point where it became highly noticeable that point of the impact had significantly dropped from earlier even though the gun was mounted on a tripod with the T&E mechanism locked down.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:44:21 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
Yep, if you're toasting gas tubes in a firefight, you are clearly not using enough Artillery and Close Air Support.
Don't today's ROE's preclude a lot of that due to the risk of "collateral  and infrastructure damage?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain