Author Topic: Where were the Oulde Phartes?  (Read 2904 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Where were the Oulde Phartes?
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »
1965 – Several U.S. states and parts of Canada are hit by a series of blackouts in the Northeast Blackout of 1965. It affected Ontario, Canada and Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, and New Jersey in the United States. Around 25 million people and 80,000 square miles (207,000 km²) were left without electricity for up to twelve hours.

I was in Framingham MA, home from NC State for the holiday, and ended up volunteering at the state's new EOC - the one that went dark.  Can you say "stand-by generator"?  They had no idea what one was.  Someone went out and busted in to a hardware store and "appropriated" about half a dozen generators.  Then others spread out around the area and did likewise.  They probably had 40 running by the end of the event.  But it was too late - the bulb at the top of the radio mast had burned out and some poor schmuck (not me!) had to climb about 250 feet in the dark and wind to replace it.

The next July/August was really hard on a lot of guys.  Nothing like a pregnant lady in the summer.  (Or so I've heard.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Where were the Oulde Phartes?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »
I was just a wee pup in '65 but I do know about the event.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
I was just a wee pup in '65 but I do know about the event.

I was in California, sitting in front of the black and white TV watching Mighty Mouse.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »
I was roaming around in my police cruiser jackbooting anyone I could get my nightstick on. [ar15]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
I laughed.............................................................chris3

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
I was @ 10 years old living in Westport Connecticut.  Yup, we lost power....everyone lost power.   
I remember it but not as anything particularly traumatic, except for there being, of course, no TV.  :'(
Yeah, boo hoo.    :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Twelvish in Levittown, Long Island. I remember the biggest moon I've ever seen. Before or since.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
Had moved out to Colorado by then.

Concerned about my mother in NYC suburbs.

All OK.

Including relatives in Levittown, Wantagh, LI.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:45:30 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
Yeah, I remember that on the news.

I also remember there was a big rush on hospital delivery rooms about nine months later  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »
I was @ 10 years old living in Westport Connecticut.  Yup, we lost power....everyone lost power.   
I remember it but not as anything particularly traumatic, except for there being, of course, no TV.  :'(
Yeah, boo hoo.    :rofl:

You had a TV?  We had no stinkin' TV in '65.  I want compensation! 

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
I was in Framingham MA, home from NC State for the holiday, and ended up volunteering at the state's new EOC.

Is that the bunker?  I've been there a bunch of times.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
You had a TV?  We had no stinkin' TV in '65.  I want compensation! 

We'd had a B&W for a couple years by then.  I remember being home sick the day of JFK's funeral.  Nothing else on, woe was me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
I remember the 2003 blackout. I was at work, we had a couple of on and offs, then a sag. I killed the main breaker. Waited about 10 minutes and turned it back on. We had power. Did not hear the news for about an hour, then we realized how big the little glitches we had were.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »
Is that the bunker?  I've been there a bunch of times.

Yes, the bunker.  Did you ever use the showers?  Nice place, no?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
I was only there during the day.  I got a glimpse at those old living quarters and I'm pretty sure they were unfit for use.  It was quite a contrast with the spiffy new EOC - somehow I think they leave certain parts of that place off of the VIP tours.  ;)
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
I vaguely remember it. I lived in the Saint Louis area though.