Author Topic: You wany how much for that?  (Read 3174 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
You wany how much for that?
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
While checking Amazon for a new shower head diverter valve I stumbled across this: http://www.amazon.com/2013-2018-Outlook-Three-Handle-Three-Valve-Diverters/dp/B00B3M7QWO/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1384700380&sr=8-25&keywords=shower+diverter+valve

This econometric study covers the world outlook for two- and three-handle bathtub and shower three-valve diverters across more than 200 countries. For each year reported, estimates are given for the latent demand, or potential industry earnings (P.I.E.), for the country in question (in millions of U.S. dollars), the percent share the country is of the region and of the globe. These comparative benchmarks allow the reader to quickly gauge a country vis-a-vis others. Using econometric models which project fundamental economic dynamics within each country and across countries, latent demand estimates are created. This report does not discuss the specific players in the market serving the latent demand, nor specific details at the product level. The study also does not consider short-term cyclicalities that might affect realized sales. The study, therefore, is strategic in nature, taking an aggregate and long-run view, irrespective of the players or products involved.

This study does not report actual sales data (which are simply unavailable, in a comparable or consistent manner in virtually all of the 230 countries of the world). This study gives, however, my estimates for the worldwide latent demand, or the P.I.E., for two- and three-handle bathtub and shower three-valve diverters. It also shows how the P.I.E. is divided across the world's regional and national markets. For each country, I also show my estimates of how the P.I.E. grows over time (positive or negative growth). In order to make these estimates, a multi-stage methodology was employed that is often taught in courses on international strategic planning at graduate schools of business.
Product Details
Paperback: 194 pages
Publisher: ICON Group International, Inc. (January 7, 2013)
Language: English
ASIN: B00B3M7QWO
Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 8 x 0.4 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
Did we miss any relevant features for this product? Tell us what we missed.

$4.10 per page for somebody's SWAG on a topic that is not going to improve the slicing of bread?   :facepalm:

Can you say chutzpa?

Better yet, can you say WTF?

We are all obviously in the wrong line of endeavor.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: You wany how much for that?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:45 AM »
I hope he makes a boat load of money of of that.
Those that would but it deserve to be parted from their money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Looks to be a report either by or for one of the large manufacturers. Delta or Pfister would probably pay for a study like this.
 Self publishing in  the purest sense. More direct, don't need your own website, don't even need Amazon.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
If I was into credit card fraud I would use this report in my crimes just for the WTF reaction when people check their monthly bill.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
No Amazon rank means no sales on Amazon yet.  Though you can still write a review...  If I didn't have my own account to worry about on Amazon I'm sure I could come up with an epic, snarky review for this book.  Any takers?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »
No Amazon rank means no sales on Amazon yet.  Though you can still write a review...  If I didn't have my own account to worry about on Amazon I'm sure I could come up with an epic, snarky review for this book.  Any takers?

First thing I looked for was reviews, similar to Three Wolf Moon Shirt and Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (probably the most expensive Cat5 cable on the planet).

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-T-Shirt-Three-Wolf/dp/B003UT7AVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384748305&sr=8-1&keywords=three+wolf+moon+t-shirt

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Cable-Version/dp/B000I1X6PM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384748110&sr=8-1&keywords=denon+ethernet+cable

Sadly, none.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
Somebody's Doctoral Thesis?  Trying to pay off student loans?

Wow.  Chutzpa in caps.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
A lot of those economic micro sector reports are priced like that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/2009-Report-Contract-Cleaning-Services/dp/0546441319/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384876008&sr=1-7
$2,420.43

In what follows, I summarize the economic potential for the world's major cities for "contract cleaning services" for the year 2009. The goal of this report is to report my findings on the real economic potential, or what an economist calls the latent demand, represented by a city when defined as an area of dominant influence. The reader needs to realize that latent demand may or may not represent real sales.

The Methodology
In order to estimate the latent demand for contract cleaning services on a city-by-city basis, I used a multi-stage approach. Before applying the approach, one needs a basic theory from which such estimates are created. In this case, I heavily rely on the use of certain basic economic assumptions. In particular, there is an assumption governing the shape and type of aggregate latent demand functions. Latent demand functions relate the income of a country, city, state, household, or individual to realized consumption. Latent demand (often realized as consumption when an industry is efficient), at any level of the value chain, takes place if an equilibrium in realized. For firms to serve a market, they must perceive a latent demand and be able to serve that demand at a minimal return. The single most important variable determining consumption, assuming latent demand exists, is income (or other financial resources at higher levels of the value chain). Other factors that can pivot or shape demand curves include external or exogenous shocks (i.e., business cycles), and or changes in utility for the product in question.

Ignoring, for the moment, exogenous shocks and variations in utility across countries, the aggregate relation between income and consumption has been a central theme in economics. The figure below concisely summarizes one aspect of problem. In the 1930s, John Meynard Keynes conjectured that as incomes rise, the average propensity to consume would fall. The average propensity to consume is the level of consumption divided by the level of income, or the slope of the line from the origin to the consumption function. He estimated this relationship empirically and found it to be true in the short-run (mostly based on cross-sectional data). The higher the income, the lower the average propensity to consume. This type of consumption function is labeled "A" in the figure below (note the rather flat slope of the curve). In the 1940s, another macroeconomist, Simon Kuznets, estimated long-run consumption functions which indicated that the marginal propensity to consume was rather constant (using time series data across countries). This type of consumption function is show as "B" in the figure below (note the higher slope and zero-zero intercept). The average propensity to consume is constant.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/2009-Report-Metal-Containers-Segmentation/dp/0546443486/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384876146&sr=1-6

The Methodology
In order to estimate the latent demand for metal containers on a city-by-city basis, I used a multi-stage approach. Before applying the approach, one needs a basic theory from which such estimates are created. In this case, I heavily rely on the use of certain basic economic assumptions. In particular, there is an assumption governing the shape and type of aggregate latent demand functions. Latent demand functions relate the income of a country, city, state, household, or individual to realized consumption. Latent demand (often realized as consumption when an industry is efficient), at any level of the value chain, takes place if an equilibrium in realized. For firms to serve a market, they must perceive a latent demand and be able to serve that demand at a minimal return. The single most important variable determining consumption, assuming latent demand exists, is income (or other financial resources at higher levels of the value chain). Other factors that can pivot or shape demand curves include external or exogenous shocks (i.e., business cycles), and or changes in utility for the product in question.

Ignoring, for the moment, exogenous shocks and variations in utility across countries, the aggregate relation between income and consumption has been a central theme in economics. The figure below concisely summarizes one aspect of problem. In the 1930s, John Meynard Keynes conjectured that as incomes rise, the average propensity to consume would fall. The average propensity to consume is the level of consumption divided by the level of income, or the slope of the line from the origin to the consumption function. He estimated this relationship empirically and found it to be true in the short-run (mostly based on cross-sectional data). The higher the income, the lower the average propensity to consume. This type of consumption function is labeled "A" in the figure below (note the rather flat slope of the curve). In the 1940s, another macroeconomist, Simon Kuznets, estimated long-run consumption functions which indicated that the marginal propensity to consume was rather constant (using time series data across countries). This type of consumption function is show as "B" in the figure below (note the higher slope and zero-zero intercept). The average propensity to consume is constant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
I wonder about the latent demand for econometric studies  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
You need to do a study for that, Tallpine!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »
And then publish it.

And then offer it on Amazon for several hundereds of dollars per copy.

Let us know when the book signing is - we'll be there if you provide refreshments and booth babes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
You are all being unfair.  The shipping is free!  :laugh:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 12:10:59 AM »
I wonder about the latent demand for .22 LR.  That's all I care about.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.