Author Topic: But I thought science was all about seeking the truth  (Read 900 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
But I thought science was all about seeking the truth
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=study-linking-genetically-modified-corn-to-cancer

Bowing to scientists' near-universal scorn, the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology today fulfilled its threat to retract a controversial paper claiming that a genetically modified (GM) maize causes serious disease in rats, after the authors refused to withdraw it.

The paper, from a research group led by Gilles-Eric Séralini, a molecular biologist at the University of Caen, France, and published in 2012,  showed “no evidence of fraud or intentional misrepresentation of the data,” said a statement from Elsevier, which publishes the journal. But the small number and type of animals used in the study mean that “no definitive conclusions can be reached.” The known high incidence of tumors in the Sprague–Dawley strain of rat ”cannot be excluded as the cause of the higher mortality and incidence observed in the treated groups,” it added.

Today’s move came as no surprise. Earlier this month, the journal’s editor-in-chief Wallace Hayes threatened retraction if Séralini refused to withdraw the paper. Hayes announced the retraction at a press conference in Brussels this morning. Séralini and his team stand by their results, and allege that the retraction derives from the journal's editorial appointment of biologist Richard Goodman, who previously worked for biotechnology giant Monsanto for seven years.

So rats hat are prone to getting cancer because anything got cancer.  And the fact that they were fed corn grown from seeds engineered by mega-agra Monsanto had no influence on anything the new editor might be under for having once been employed by Monsanto.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: But I thought science was all about seeking the truth
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »
Science is all about seeking the grantz moniez!!!11!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
so, how did Richard goodman get an editorial appointment?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
So... the JoFCT found out that the study was questionable and force-retracted it after the author refused a request to do so.  Seems like the system worked.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
And no agri-companies in France (or Europe in general) would like another reason to reduce sales of US products containing GMO materials... wink...wink.
The only surprising part is that the study would be so poorly designed from the outset...again...wink...wink.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
So... the JoFCT found out that the study was questionable and force-retracted it after the author refused a request to do so.  Seems like the system worked.

Ayep
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
If it's the study I'm thinking of, they also gave the rats eating the GMO corn a steroid known to produce/enhance cancers in rats, while the non-GMO rats were not given the steroids.   Sorry, but if you are doing an experiment you control for all factors expect the one you are testing for.

This is the study that all the "EBIL Monsanto, GMO is the DEBIL!!" folks that I know on FB quote.  But if you simply read the study it jumps right out at you that it's fatally flawed and designed to produce the "GMO=Cancer" result. 

Found it:  http://gmoseralini.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/GES-final-study-19.9.121.pdf

He gave them Estradiol, and then was "Shocked !!  Shocked, I tell you." at the results.

Not to mention that he's been one of the more outspoken Anti-GMO "scientists" that there are.  All the "research" that he's done have shown GMO's to be da ebil, yet no one has been able to duplicate his results.   He's a hack. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »

Brad

Abolutely! Not a typo, I meant to spell it that way!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G