Author Topic: International air travel before TSA  (Read 1234 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
International air travel before TSA
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/what-international-air-travel-was-like-in-the-1930s-1471258414

Just imagine - London to India in just 6 days!

20 intermediate stops between London and Singapore, and for some unknown reason your luggage arrrives along with you.  Where did they go wrong?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: International air travel before TSA
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
A flight from London to Brisbane, Australia, for instance, (the longest route available in 1938) took 11 days and included over two dozen scheduled stops. Today, people can make that journey in just 22 hours, with a single layover in Hong Kong, and pay less than $2,000 for a round trip ticket.

Of course, back then you got a seat with a real table, and enough legroom for an adult human to breathe. Today you get so little legroom that anyone over about 5'-5" can't survive a flight of more than 45 minutes.

Yes, you can fly first class and get a bit more space -- but then you're back up in the $20,000 price range.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
Today, people can make that journey in just 22 hours

Not counting hours in traffic to get to the airport, plus getting through TSA  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 05:07:49 PM »
I remember old Elmer Keith writing that on his African hunt he carried a .500 NE double rifle (broken down) and some ammo on the plane, just in case his checked bag was lost.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
I remember old Elmer Keith writing that on his African hunt he carried a .500 NE double rifle (broken down) and some ammo on the plane, just in case his checked bag was lost.

Don't remember if it was that rifle but he had some issues, and had to pay bribe money, in one country to get it across.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
Longest flight I ever took was Manila to Honolulu via Tokyo. Had about a 10 hour lay over in Tokyo/Narita airport and still made it to check in at Pearl Harbor an hour after I checked out of Manila Naval Station. The ship's Yeoman hooked me up in Clipper Class. Pan-Am was a classy way to fly.
I actualy had to fight about getting my days travel per diem.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
My longest was from San Diego to Tomakomai Japan, 12 hour flight.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
My longest flight was from Moffett Field CA, to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and back to Moffett Field. 14.7 hrs.  ;)  The longest commercial flight I can remember is the flight from McGuire AFB to Frankfurt, Germany via Newfoundland and Shannon. A lot of the trip is very fuzzy, I was just a pup. This was before jets made it to the big time. Coming home 4 years later via jet was about 6.5 hrs IIRC, we were diverted to Charleston AFB.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
Chicago to Hong Kong.

There wasn't near enough booze to keep us as well lubricated as we needed to be.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »
Anyone know what the plane in the fourth picture is?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:06:29 PM »
LAX to CHC.  13 hours non-stop.  Hate the trip, love the destination.  Just wish, with 4 kids, that I could afford to do that again.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »

If you are talking about the biplane, I think I have it narrowed down to  a Handley Page 42 / 45

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/handley_hp-42.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_H.P.42E

bob

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »
If you are talking about the biplane, I think I have it narrowed down to  a Handley Page 42 / 45

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/handley_hp-42.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_H.P.42E

bob

Ah, thank you. I've never seen a biplane that big before. Thing's a beast.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »

If you right click on the image you can "Search Google for this image" to get the description of the image. It can make almost anyone look like an aviation genius!

The plane in the fifth picture is the G-ADSR, Armstrong Whitworth AW27 Ensign 1, C/N: AW1156.

See!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 09:58:24 AM »
If you right click on the image you can "Search Google for this image" to get the description of the image. It can make almost anyone look like an aviation genius!

The plane in the fifth picture is the G-ADSR, Armstrong Whitworth AW27 Ensign 1, C/N: AW1156.

See!

What browser are you running? I don't get that option in IE.  =|

But, tineye can also be very helpful, it just takes a little more searching most times.

bob

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
What browser are you running? I don't get that option in IE.  =|

But, tineye can also be very helpful, it just takes a little more searching most times.

bob

I'm using Chrome.

I checked I.E. and Firefox, and it doesn't work for me either.

I guess we all have to succumb to Google's attempt at world domination.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:19:39 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
What browser are you running? I don't get that option in IE.  =|

bob

Don't have to be a genius to look like an aviation genius, but you do have to dump IE.

Don't remember if it was that rifle but he had some issues, and had to pay bribe money, in one country to get it across.

He was going to Africa. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton