Author Topic: Richmond, California pays thugs to not shoot each other  (Read 1521 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Richmond, California pays thugs to not shoot each other
« on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:39 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dangerous-california-city-young-men-money-expense-paid/story?id=38190781

"This Once Dangerous California City Gives Young Men Money, All-Expense-Paid Trips in Exchange for Not Shooting Their Rivals
In 2007, the city brought in DeVone Boggan, a youth development policy professional with an expertise in chronic violent offenders and the founder of the Office of Neighborhood Safety, who came up with a controversial solution: Pay young men like Rice not to pull the trigger. The better the behavior, the better the paycheck.

This month, Rice got the maximum -- $1,300."

Hey, I've never murdered anyone.  Where is my check?

Between 2009 and 2014, the number of homicides have dropped 76 percent across Richmond, according to FBI Uniform Crime Reporting program. It’s a number that can’t be attributed to ONS alone. ONS said its proof their approach is working: The vast majority of fellows, 94 percent, are still alive, according to National Council on Crime and Delinquency.

The homicide rate has indeed declined, but coincidence is not causation.  Moreover, it may be on the increase once again.

From http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Richmond-California.html

Richmond's homicide rate was around 18 back in 2001, then ramped up to over 40, then declined to around 16 again in 2013.

11 homicides in 2014: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/west-county-times/ci_27240649/richmond-crime-down-2014-homicides-reach-yet-another

21 homicides in 2015: http://www.eastbaytimes.com/breaking-news/ci_29445011/richmond-25-year-old-man-fatally-shot-citys

A Richmond police officer touched on at least part of the real problem:

“The thing that is unfortunate about it is ... he may bail out before I even get off work. You know? And there’s two firearms recovered in the vehicle,” said Officer Terry Thomas.

While I believe the ONS people genuinely believe they are making Richmond safer, the scheme smacks a bit too much like a protection racket.  Color me skeptical.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Richmond, California pays thugs to not shoot each other
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be cheaper to put all the violent recidivists into an arena and award the last one living a cool, tax-free million dollars?

If anybody is wiling to pay the broadcast rights you might just make a nice profit of the deal.

Maybe I'm being facetious...

In any event this hearkens back to an idea called a peace bond where a known trouble-maker would be required to put up a sum of (real) cash if he wanted to stay in an area. If at the time he left he did not cause any problems he got his money back if not he forfeited the money and possibly his life.

The thing is it was the trouble-maker's money in the first place. His job was not "being peaceful" for which he was paid.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »
I wonder if they even realize that they are subsidizing crime?  I know they say that they're paying people NOT to commit crimes, but they have to get in the criminal justice system to get paid.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
I wonder if they even realize that they are subsidizing crime?  I know they say that they're paying people NOT to commit crimes, but they have to get in the criminal justice system to get paid.

It's also an open invitation to the yoots of the area to enter a life/world of crime and violence. It's essentially protection money, just like in the movies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »
It's also an open invitation to the yoots of the area to enter a life/world of crime and violence. It's essentially protection money, just like in the movies.
Except now they have a minimum amount of money and can work on doing better crimes. 

It might do more to reduce crime to simply hand out a daily ration of marijuana.  Then they may not want to bother with crime thing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 10:20:04 AM »
Except now they have a minimum amount of money and can work on doing better crimes. 

It might do more to reduce crime to simply hand out a daily ration of marijuana.  Then they may not want to bother with crime thing.

Geez, what an excellent idea that is.  Reminiscent of 'Soma' in 'Brave New World', but it worked there too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »

How about a daily ration of heroin or some other hard drug? Government could ensure that the druggies get the full strength, uncut stuff, not adulterated with powdered milk, sugar, or whatever.

Seems this would make the problem go away soon.

And as for the thugs shooting each other . . . we should zone for that. Let's face it, one thug does in another thug, that's a "good riddance" event; it's only a problem if some innocent third party is hurt or killed, and that risk could be greatly mitigated by creating "Thug Free-fire Zones."

>:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
How about a daily ration of heroin or some other hard drug? Government could ensure that the druggies get the full strength, uncut stuff, not adulterated with powdered milk, sugar, or whatever.

Seems this would make the problem go away soon.

And as for the thugs shooting each other . . . we should zone for that. Let's face it, one thug does in another thug, that's a "good riddance" event; it's only a problem if some innocent third party is hurt or killed, and that risk could be greatly mitigated by creating "Thug Free-fire Zones."

>:D
I was just following the same logic.

I like the zoning idea.  Maybe go further and wall off a sizeable area somewhere.  Give them gun, ammo, and a few days food and send them in.  Not sure if you want to let them out or not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »

I like the zoning idea.  Maybe go further and wall off a sizeable area somewhere.  Give them gun, ammo, and a few days food and send them in.  Not sure if you want to let them out or not.

And then we send in Snake Plissken to rescue the President!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »

Ship them off to a deserted island with a knife and the clothes on their back.

If we come back in a year and you're still alive...
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »

NHI.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
I also wonder how they verify that the recipient of the payout didn't commit a crime.  Does he or she only need to avoid getting caught, or is there a list of government protected thugs that have to survive all month before anybody gets paid?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
I have this feeling that giving people some money to live on, to keep them from falling into a life of crime, is one of the reasons we started this whole welfare/public assitance/public housing business. It is also interesting that crime rose after it was implemented, and then went back down.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »
I also wonder how they verify that the recipient of the payout didn't commit a crime.  Does he or she only need to avoid getting caught...

=| That is, generally, how things work, yes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »
I feel better knowing our government is investing in improving the skills of avoiding conflicts with law enforcement.  I'm sure that will save money in the long run.  :facepalm: