Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 5232 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Windows Vista
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:57:06 AM »
After reading on Slashdot about the latest Vista "leak" on the internet, I went over to Microsoft's website to see what the sequel to WinXP is all about. It's supposed to be "innovative". :/

Now my definition of that term is to do something that hasn't been done before, or take something that exists and do it in a dramatically different way.

After reviewing all the new features and promises, I didn't see anything that hasn't been available to Mac or Linux users for a few years already. So where is this innovation?

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 08:18:31 AM »
Quote from: garrettwc
After reviewing all the new features and promises, I didn't see anything that hasn't been available to Mac or Linux users for a few years already. So where is this innovation?
In the minds of the Marketing Department, 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA.

The hope is that they can convince every organization and individual on the planet to switch over to the Next Big Thing.

Eighteen months later, they'll be telling you what a dog NextBigThing '05 was, and how the ONLY way you can be productive in the office and secure on the 'net is by purchasing the NextBigThing '07 upgrade Plus Media Pak for $179.95.

Now you see how it works? Wink

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 08:21:27 AM »
The innovation?
Well...hmm.  They'll drop XP support, and thus force users to upgrade...that's innovative.
It will be a resource hog.  It will still be slow, unstable, and a steaming pile of monkey crap.  And everyone will still use it.  Me, I'll stick with XP, and my beloved Linux box.

Zundfolge

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 08:26:51 AM »
So where is this innovation?
Now with 20% more evil.

Also on Slashdot today, the newest version of Ubuntu was released ... get that instead

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Windows Vista
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 08:29:02 AM »
Linux is great, if you are not a gamer.

If you are a Linux gamer, there are so many great choices.  You could become a Tux Racer mastermind, or a Solitare genius Smiley
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 08:29:08 AM »
Also on Slashdot today, the newest version of Ubuntu was released ... get that instead
"apt-get dist upgrade" in progress as we speak Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:36:19 AM »
What happened to linux games?  Doom3 used to be available, as was Civ2 (or was it 3).  I had both for my Linux box back in the day.  

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »
Were they running on a Windows emulator?

The only game I was aware of that had a dedicated Linux version is America's Army.

TarpleyG

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 09:03:49 AM »
One cool feature (for us in the biz anyway) is that you can set it up so that regular users can install software without admin rights.  Huge deal for me.

Greg

mtnbkr

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 09:19:36 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Were they running on a Windows emulator?

The only game I was aware of that had a dedicated Linux version is America's Army.
Nope, these were Linux native games.  I bought both, at full retail price, in support of Linux gaming back when I used linux on my desktop and played games.

IIRC, Loki Games was the distributor.

Chris

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 09:38:40 AM »
is that you can set it up so that regular users can install software without admin rights.
That is the LAST thing I want.  No software is installed on any machine on my network without prior approval, and then I do the install.

garrettwc

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 09:44:05 AM »
I'm not one of those Mac vs. PC types. I use a PC because that's what I have. I still run Win2K on the box I built, it works.

However, the more I see of the newer Windows versions, the more I want a Mac or Linux.

cfabe

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 10:04:30 AM »
Back when I was into gaming I believe unreal tournament was available for linux.

I used to be a die-hard linux nut back in school when I had time to mess with it. Honestly though, I'm running XP these days and it's pretty darn stable. Not as stable as my redhat webserver in the basement, that I haven't touched for 2 years, but plenty stable for my desktop needs. Now security is another issue entirely, of course.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »
if you are into gaming, get a dedicated XBOX
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garrettwc

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 10:52:46 AM »
+1. At lot of my favorite PC games like Rainbow Six series have been ported over to Xbox. For gaming I would rather use a console system.

jefnvk

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 12:56:08 PM »
PC's are far superior to consoles for gaming.

Justin

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 01:35:53 PM »
That is the LAST thing I want.  No software is installed on any machine on my network without prior approval, and then I do the install.
So people in your company would like to install Bonzi Buddy, eh?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »
People in my company would like to install anything that happens to pop up on their screens.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Windows Vista
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 06:07:38 PM »
At home I run either W2K Pro or Linux. SWMBO has a comparable computer to mine and she's very content with W98se.  At work I use W2K Pro, but other teams run XP just because that is what came installed.

I work on the AIX KERN team. That should tell some folks what I *really* like.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 06:49:58 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk

If you are a Linux gamer, there are so many great choices.  You could become a Tux Racer mastermind, or a Solitare genius Smiley
Tux Racer ROCKS!!!  Tongue

Zundfolge

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »
Two words; dual boot

jefnvk

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 09:03:36 PM »
Two words; dual boot
Two more words: Dual machines.  Actually, triple machines if you throw in the Sun Ultra 5.  Quad if you throw in the XP Home running laptop.

I have Linux (Fedora Core 4).  I have Solaris 9.  I have Windows XP.  All three do the exact same thing, with the Windows machine only having the advantage in games.  Other than that, I have no real preference.  If I had to choose one, I like Solaris the best.  But the box is old and slow, so I don't use it much.

I have never had any security issues on any of the machines, so it is a moot point.

Honestly, you could toss me any of them, and with the exception of gaming, I could be happy doing anything else.  I frequently start writing code in Windows, and end up finishing up on the Sun or Linux box.  I'll obviously test it on a couple OS's, and then on the CS department's Fedora machines, if for nothing else than to see any differences that may occur.

I know how to use all of my machines, I can use them all effectively.  OS doesn't make much of a difference to me.  I wouldn't go out and buy Vista, just like I didn't buy XP Pro (Academic license) or Home (came on the laptop), unless I couldn't run a game on XP.  Just like I wouldn't buy Solaris (although licensing is free on their hardware), if Linux was free.

The only thing I don't really like is Macs.  You wanna talk overpriced, start there.  Especially when the OS is built on something that was free.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, didn't mean to knock Tux Racers.  I have played that game and lost track of time on numerous occasions.  Excellently addicting game.

caseydog

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 09:13:26 PM »
This is going to be a nightmare for the low end user , a whole new file system which uses "Virtual Folders" and "Static Lists" which all just have links back to files that are never really moved , so you have people deleting links and not realizing they didn't delete the file , then on the opposite side you'll have people backing up virtual folders before they do a reinstall and just ending up with a folder full of local hyperlinks for which the files have just been erased Sad

I see so many users who can't understand the concept or use of a data partition, this is gonna give someone a stroke.

Hopefully this time they will get the user created data portion of documents and settings off the damn C: drive by default, and make two partitions the default install.

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

TarpleyG

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 12:59:29 AM »
Look, I tried to do it my way but we have a CIO that won't stand up against our users and anything the users want, the users get.  So, with nearly 20,000 computers to deal with, let 'em do what they want.  We have taken the Gateway approach--if it's broke, reimage it.  They aren't supposed to keep files locally and we could care less about your Bonzai Buddy (whatever that is).  This approach will allow the end user to think they have it all and they stop bitching and moaning.  I am really sick of IT.  I need a new job.  Anyone in the Raleigh area need a well rounded, responsible, hard-working manager for anything BESIDES IT?  Call me.

Greg

garrettwc

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 03:53:57 AM »
caseydog, I hadn't even thought of that. Can you imagine if some script kiddie comes up with some malicious code that goes in and changes the virtual directories around?

One more reason I won't be switching.

The only thing I don't really like is Macs.  You wanna talk overpriced, start there.  Especially when the OS is built on something that was free.
Are you talking hardware or software? I think that used to be true on the hardware, but recently the price gap has narrowed to the point it's almost a non issue.