Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 5233 times)

Zundfolge

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2005, 08:53:39 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
The only thing I don't really like is Macs.  You wanna talk overpriced, start there.  Especially when the OS is built on something that was free.
BSD Unix is not and never was free ("FreeBSD" is not exactly the same as BSD).

At any rate, my MacMini cost me $500 and is every bit as powerful and useful as any other $500 computer out there.

Next generation Macs are going to be running Intel processors so its about to become a moot point.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Windows Vista
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 09:57:16 AM »
Next generation Macs are going to be running Intel processors so its about to become a moot point.
It might not be as moot a point as you think. The Windows zealots have always claimed that Mac OS worked better because of the Apple  hardware. Imagine the backlash if/when Apple starts beating them on WIntel hardware.

mtnbkr

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
The Windows zealots have always claimed that Mac OS worked better because of the Apple  hardware.
Not a Windows zealot (or any OS zealot, they all suck) here, but I'd be willing to bet money that when MacOS starts running on Intel hardware, it won't be the same hardware that's available to Windows/Linux users.  It'll be tailored to fit MacOS needs.  It might be made by Intel and be nominally the same (they'll both be pentium processors for example), but you won't be dual booting MacOS and Windows.

Chris

Zundfolge

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 10:55:27 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Not a Windows zealot (or any OS zealot, they all suck) here, but I'd be willing to bet money that when MacOS starts running on Intel hardware, it won't be the same hardware that's available to Windows/Linux users.  It'll be tailored to fit MacOS needs.  It might be made by Intel and be nominally the same (they'll both be pentium processors for example), but you won't be dual booting MacOS and Windows.

Chris
The plan is that MacOS will only run on Intel machines built for Apple ... I imagine they will either do this in the bios, or with an extra instruction set on the chip.

I guarantee you there will be ways around it. Other then the "security" there won't be any functional difference between the Windows/Linux Intel machines and the Mac Intel machines ... the processors will still be to the same specs...they will still be x86 (and other stuff like drives, memory, video cards etc are already the exact same in Macs and Windows boxes).

As for dual booting, you will be able to dual boot Windows and/or *nix on the Intel Macs ... but not the other way around (at least not legally ... see my "there will be ways around it" comment)

Zundfolge

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2005, 10:59:48 AM »
Quote from: garrettwc
It might not be as moot a point as you think. The Windows zealots have always claimed that Mac OS worked better because of the Apple  hardware. Imagine the backlash if/when Apple starts beating them on WIntel hardware.
The backlash against Windows is already starting ... the opening shot against MS was Firefox ... now there are more and more good desktop Linux distros out there ... MacOSX on Intel could very well be the first major victory against MS (and I believe that Jobs is blowing it big time ... again ... by not allowing anyone with a Pentium machine to run out and buy a copy of OSX and install it ... he could take over MS and he's not going to ... its this elitist attitude that kept him and Apple from being where MS is today).

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Windows Vista
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »
I'm sure there will be a way around if they lock out the Mac OS.  After all, they do have the underlying system available for x86 right now.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Windows Vista
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 05:06:24 PM »
My setup is:
Laptop provided by work, Win XP.
2.4 GHz Ubuntu Linux box at home.
650 MHz Windows 2000 box at home.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Windows Vista
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 05:38:57 PM »
TarpleyG: IIRC, there is A LOT of Biotech out in that area (former coworker moved there for such a job).  That might be a way out of IT, or at least into a branch of IT that deals with users who DO have a clue.  For their faults, Ph.Ds, Research folks and Engineers are not stupid.  Usually.   Wink
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Windows Vista
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 09:07:41 PM »
Gee, wasn't Windows N-1 supposed to solve all problems for all people? :-/

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org