Author Topic: Wow. Amazing that no one was hurt...  (Read 2582 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Wow. Amazing that no one was hurt...
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier opened fire on a group of fellow soldiers during a morning exercise session at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, on Thursday but no one was injured at the Army base.

The soldier, whose name was not released, "is in custody after firing shots at a physical training formation" but no one was wounded, Fort Campbell said in a statement.

It provided no other details but said the matter was under investigation.

The facility, on the Kentucky-Tennessee border about 60 miles northwest of Nashville, is home to the 101st Airborne Division that has served in Iraq
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:36:52 AM »
If that's the quality of marksman we have in our armed forces, it's a wonder we ever win anything!

Glad no one was hurt. Wonder what was going through the guy's head?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 11:04:38 AM »
Some people just can't take the stress that the military boot / training places on them and they snap.

I've even seen people snap in AF Basic, I thought it was like a boy scout training camp only that you get yelled at more aften.

Wayne

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 06:17:07 PM »
They just had a blurb on the local news about it. The only detail they were able to add was that this was not a military issue weapon. It was brought in from off post.

Still no motive listed or even if he was attached to the unit he shot at.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 06:22:47 PM »
The soldier, whose name was not released, "is in custody after firing shots at a physical training formation
I turned around and shot the DI while doing the rifle qualification on the 'America's Army' game and got my character thrown in jail. I guess this incident confirms my suspicion that the same thing would happen in real life. Tongue
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tjy2001

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 09:20:58 PM »
I turned around and shot the DI while doing the rifle qualification on the 'America's Army' game and got my character thrown in jail. I guess this incident confirms my suspicion that the same thing would happen in real life.
I do this too, nice to see I'm not alone. Smiley

And no I would not do it in real life!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:47:28 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
If that's the quality of marksman we have in our armed forces, it's a wonder we ever win anything!

Glad no one was hurt. Wonder what was going through the guy's head?

Brad
Maybe for the Army.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 08:19:37 AM »
I used to sanp-in on my DI's head all the time in boot camp...guess it was a good thing they didn't give us live ammo until we needed it...

Greg

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 10:25:12 AM »
I was snapping in at the range in Boot and while in the prone position the DI dropped down prone right in front of me and looked backward over my sights right in to my eye and watched while a dry fired about half a dozen trigger pulls.
Brian
<><
:)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 10:56:05 AM »
Delta force II "Land Warrior", if you kill anyone of the DIs in the training map with a firearm they all come after you and are nearly impossible to beat. If you do it with the knife though and are able to find them all, they CAN be beat.

Some guys just lose it under the pressure in BC, I watched it happen. Obviously this was another one. Sometimes you wonder if it's not just a ploy to get out of there. I saw a few of those too.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Didn't this happen in the early '90s at Bragg?  Someone in the 82nd went Postal and 4 fellow paratroopers circles around and tackled him?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 01:51:05 PM »
Man, there's definitely some nut jobs running around in there. I remember a guy, Fireman Apprentice Gross, brandy new fresh from boot then Hull Tech school (welding, piping, hull repair)within the first twenty minutes on the ship the idiot jumps over the side in port. Now, in those days when you flushed a big doo doo down the crapper if you ran fast enough you could watch it pop out the side of the ship and float away. The water in port was literally a cess pool. We called the solid floating human waste that was everywhere "sea muffins". As far as I know noone ever heard a plausible explanation out of him as to why he thought he should do this. He actually turned out to be a pretty good guy but I never could quite trust him 100%. There was always that lingering memory of this one totally irrational act.

And then theres the "Mad Crapper" (we used a different word than "crapper")

Apparently almost every outfit in every branch has one. I know we did. I got to clean it up. All the boys were totally grossed out but I had cleaned up after dogs for years so it didn't bother me none. When others would ask me how I could do it, I'd proclaim loudly, "Ain't no diffent than cleaning up after a dog." and made references to how he was no more than a mangy old dog etc. The Mad Crapper changed his ways.
Avoid cliches like the plague!