Author Topic: Axelrod suggests 'Tea Party' movement is 'unhealthy'  (Read 9171 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Axelrod suggests 'Tea Party' movement is 'unhealthy'
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:45 PM »
"The thing that bewilders me is that this president just cut taxes for 95 percent of the American people," Axelrod argued.
Is this statement believable?  How did they cut taxes on the 45% who do not have to pay Income Taxes?  What taxes did they cut?

Axelrod suggests 'Tea Party' movement is 'unhealthy'
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/19/axelrod-suggests-tea-party-movement-is-unhealthy/

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senior White House adviser David Axelrod on Sunday suggested the "Tea Party" movement is an "unhealthy" reaction to the tough economic climate facing the country.

Axelrod was asked on CBS's "Face the Nation" about the "spreading and very public disaffection" with the president's fiscal policies seen at the "Tea Party" rallies around the country last week.

"I think any time you have severe economic conditions there is always an element of disaffection that can mutate into something that's unhealthy," Axelrod said.

Axelrod appeared to backtrack when pressed on whether the movement is unhealthy.

"Well, this is a country where we value our liberties and our ability to express ourselves, and so far these are expressions," he said.

"The thing that bewilders me is that this president just cut taxes for 95 percent of the American people," Axelrod argued. "I think the tea bags should be directed elsewhere because he certainly understands the burden that people face."

Democratic strategist James Carville disagreed with Axelrod on CNN's "State of the Union" when John King asked him if it's unhealthy for "an American to go out and hold a sign and say 'I think my taxes are too high.'"

Carville said, "No." He called the Tea Party movement "harmless and damaging to Republicans."

On CBS, Axelrod also responded to Texas Gov. Rick Perry's recent insinuation that his state could secede from the union in response to government overreach under President Obama.

"I don't think that really warrants a serious response," Axelrod said. "I don't think most Texans were all that enthused by the governor's suggestion."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Axelrod suggests 'Tea Party' movement is 'unhealthy'
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
The tea parties weren't about current tax rates.  They were about the earth-shattering levels of deficit spending that we'll have to pay back in the future.  You can cut taxes all you want today (not hat Obama has or will cut any taxes) but that doesn't change the fact that eventually someone is going to have to man up and pay the bills.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »
Is this statement believable?  How did they cut taxes on the 45% who do not have to pay Income Taxes?

Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out which bodily orifice that 45% non-paying figure was pulled from, let alone the fact that the recent bail-outs are really gonna hit folks filing their 2009 taxes...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:37:45 PM »
Y'know, I'm still trying to figure out which bodily orifice that 45% non-paying figure was pulled from, let alone the fact that the recent bail-outs are really gonna hit folks filing their 2009 taxes...

It's closer to 33% if it makes you feel better.

Here.

And Here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »
I'll pay you double tomorrow, for a cheese burger today.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Between him and the congresscritter that described the tea party phenomenon as "despicable", I'm developing the notion that our betters are becoming a bit annoyed with the peasantry.  I hope none of the party-goers were in Wookie suits. :laugh:

When/if the value of a dollar approaches zero, there will be torchlight parades with pitchforks, scythes, and hoes.  And poli-critters hanging from lampposts (figuratively speaking, of course).  Reckon what the chattering class will have to say THEN?

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »
I hope none of the party-goers were in Wookie suits.

There were guys in Colonial uniforms.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »
there will be torchlight parades with pitchforks, scythes, and hoes.  And poli-critters hanging from lampposts (figuratively speaking, of course). 

I suggest they consider instead it could be torchlight parades with AR's, M14's and AK's.  And poli-critters hanging from lampposts.
(did I forget that figuratively speaking part?) :mad:

Time to change course, DC.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:17:08 AM »
"I think the tea bags should be directed elsewhere because he certainly understands the burden that people face."

Teabag..  face..  snicker...

Its tea party you jackass!

I think the Democrats are intentionally missing the point of all of this to try to marginalize it.  It is not that my taxes are too high, it is that the government is wasting much of that money AND is still spending way more than it is taking in racking up even more national debt.  Both parties do this, just the Democrats are taking it to a new shocking level.

Speaking as a registered Independent who votes a mixed ballot based on what the person does vs the tag next to their name the press needs to get over it being a Republican vs Democrat thing.  Just because many of us voted for McCain and Bush over the years does not mean we are supporters of them, it is just the Democrat candidates were even scarier.  The But But But Bush! argument gets tiresome.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
Teabag..  face..  snicker...

Its tea party you jackass!

I think the Democrats are intentionally missing the point of all of this to try to marginalize it.  It is not that my taxes are too high, it is that the government is wasting much of that money AND is still spending way more than it is taking in racking up even more national debt.  Both parties do this, just the Democrats are taking it to a new shocking level.

Speaking as a registered Independent who votes a mixed ballot based on what the person does vs the tag next to their name the press needs to get over it being a Republican vs Democrat thing.  Just because many of us voted for McCain and Bush over the years does not mean we are supporters of them, it is just the Democrat candidates were even scarier.  The But But But Bush! argument gets tiresome.

Yeah, it's sad that we have to keep explaining to people:

I didn't vote for Bush because I loved everything he did and wanted to do.

I supported some of his ideas (mainly defense) but a lot of his domestic spending were very bad ideas.

However, even just on domestic spending, he was bad, but he was BY FAR the lesser of two evils.

I believe we are proving that daily.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
Liberty and individualism and representative government are dangerous to your health--haven't you heard?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »
Liberty and individualism and representative government are dangerous to your health--haven't you heard?

Worked when we banned alcoholic beverages, didn't it? Not to mention the famous—and victorious—War on Drugs?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 11:50:41 AM »
Public discussions based on "disaffection" raise the spectre of every totalitarian movement we are familiar with.  We are not supposed to be "in love" with our political leaders.  That will be a revelation to a culture that is more and more about pop stars and adoring masses.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »
Who said the bailout costs were going to hit in 2009?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
When do you think the American taxpayer will feel the burden of the Obama bailouts, then?

My guess is if not 2010 (when folks file for 2009), then damned soon thereafter.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
It doesn't matter when the costs hit.  What matters is that eventually they will.  And you can bet that it won't be guys like Axlerod and Obama who suffer the consequences.  Focusing on what year the costs come due is a red herring, a distraction.

Odds are that the real costs won't hit for a number of years.  The bailout money was simply borrowed at near zero interest rates.  It won't become painful until interest rates rise and it becomes difficult to roll the debt over as it comes due.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 02:08:21 PM »
When do you think the American taxpayer will feel the burden of the Obama bailouts, then?
They are feeling the burden now.  Later it will be a lot worse.  Remember the Jimmy Carter years?  I think the JC years will be small small potatoes to what is going to happen now.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »

My guess is if not 2010 (when folks file for 2009), then damned soon thereafter.

The amount of debt and deficit spending we have reached is unsustainable. Even when the American economy was healthy, would could not sustain this. (ONE year of spending like this could likely be sustained by the market, though, but that's another discussion).

IF the Democrats are allowed to spend as planned, we will be paying, at today's freakishly low interest rates, 10% of our GDP in INTEREST.

Even with the American economy running as well as it was 2 years ago, this cannot be borne.

However, I find this ironic:

More than likely, Mr. Obama and the Democrats are going to push through a tax increase to be "fiscally responsible."

As a result, the economy will suffer and this level of spending will collapse even faster.

What frightens me is I don't know when this will happen nor do I know how, but I have some guesses:

Massive infation (hyperinflation)
Price Controls
Repudiation of debt
Government corruption

We tell ourselves this can't happen in the US, but I will point out that in 1900, the United States and Argentina looked stikingly similar: they had similar populations, similar climate, similar resources.  Argentina even fed the world during WWI. (Just as the US is STILL the breadbasket of the world).

However, the US is now the lone superpower of the world and Argentina... is going through yet ANOTHER crisis.

Once we go over the brink, I can't say what will happen. That's the problem with what is going on. No one knows what will be the result of all of this. Uncertainty kills the economy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 03:48:21 PM »
Axelrod suggests 'Tea Party' movement is 'unhealthy
A truly ironic statement coming from a third generation communist.  Where would Axelrod be today if his grandpappy believed the same thing.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

ArmedBear

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 03:57:53 PM »
It's unhealthy for BO.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
It's unhealthy for BO.

Looks like the statistics-side of a baseball card... =(

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »
If that graph is to be believed it's a good sign. Of course the true believers won't turn on him, but apparently more and more people are realizing how badly this administration is screwing things up. There may be hope yet.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
Axelrod can go pee up a rope. Obama has surrounded himself by a bunch "If you side against the president, then you are wrong for the country" type people.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
Axelrod can go pee up a rope. Obama has surrounded himself by a bunch "If you side against the president, then you are wrong for the country" type people.

Sounds like alot of what Bush's people said after Sept 11th....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”