Author Topic: Obama visiting CIA, prosecuting former interrogators?  (Read 21938 times)

Waitone

• friend
Re: Holy Crap: Obama at CIA Today
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »
When Obama was in Iraq his handlers asked those present who voted for Obama.  Those who raised their hands were given a free digital camera.  Everyone else was shuttled over to the side.  No reason to assume his CIA gig was conducted any different.

2 cents comment--Any discussion of the morality of torture without an agreed upon definition is merely the flapping of lips.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:27 PM »
But anyway, there are cases in which a failure to torture denotes a lack of integrity.  Sometimes, there is a duty to hurt and kill bad guys, to protect the innocent from their malicious acts.  Sometimes, torture is required as a part of that.  Any blanket condemnation of torture is small-minded.
Well said.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 07:39:31 AM »
Sometimes a bad guy won't crack from just the fire and acid, so we have to bring his kids in and rape and torture them. We don't really want to, but the ends justify the means.  ;/ I'd expect better of you fisty.

I guess I fail to see the similarity between torturing the innocent to save the innocent and torturing the guilty to save the innocent.  Just like I fail to see the similarity between shooting the gun-wielding psychopath, and shooting the kid playing in the sandbox. 

But thanks for thinking well of me, previously. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 07:42:29 AM »
So how do we find out who the guilty guys are? Or is it just a presumption of guilt for any terrorism suspects, because, you know, terrorism is different?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »
I'm not talking about torturing anyone suspected of terrorism.  Not even most of them.  I'm talking about those very rare cases in which we have reason to believe that the clock is ticking, and the subject's withholding information is tantamount to murder. 

That's why I compared the situation to that of an active shooter.

And no, I'm not talking about harsh treatment or "advanced techniques."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Obama open to torture memos probe, prosecution
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 11:20:18 AM »
Didn't see this posted & discussed, so here it is.

IMO, this is a terrible precedent.  The immediate effects on those who prosecute the WOT are bad enough, as the wise will no longer push hard to capture and interrogate the terrorists.  What was considered legal can be retroactively deemed illegal and leave one open to prosecution.  Also, the giving of one's opinion on law leaves one open to prosecution later when another party gains the executive.

This sort of prosecution for difference of (legal) opinion makes McCarthy look like a piker.  After all, he was a mere Senator and did not have the power of the executive at his beck and call.

But, the longer-term effects of using the power of government to prosecute and harass political opponents just out of power for policy differences is even more pernicious.

Once that becomes ingrained into the political culture, we can see politics become a true blood sport, as seen in the less civilized nations.  The consequence of an election loss is not just loss of political power, but loss of freedom and personal destruction.  Every election night inaugurates a night of the long knives.  How long will it be before a political figure decides to go Caesar and not subject themselves to the now-discredited legal/political process?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_interrogation_memos

Obama open to torture memos probe, prosecution
By BEN FELLER, Associated Press Writer Ben Feller, Associated Press Writer Tue Apr 21, 7:40 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Widening an explosive debate on torture, President Barack Obama on Tuesday opened the possibility of prosecution for Bush-era lawyers who authorized brutal interrogation of terror suspects and suggested Congress might order a full investigation.

Less than a week after declaring it was time for the nation to move on rather than "laying blame for the past," Obama found himself describing what might be done next to investigate what he called the loss of "our moral bearings."

His comments all but ensured that the vexing issue of detainee interrogation during the Bush administration will live on well into the new president's term. Obama, who severely criticized the harsh techniques during the campaign, is feeling pressure from his party's liberal wing to come down hard on the subject. At the same time, Republicans including former Vice President Dick Cheney are insisting the methods helped protect the nation and are assailing Obama for revealing Justice Department memos detailing them.

Answering a reporter's question Tuesday, Obama said it would be up to his attorney general to determine whether "those who formulated those legal decisions" behind the interrogation methods should be prosecuted. The methods, described in Bush-era memos Obama released last Thursday, included such grim and demeaning tactics as slamming detainees against walls and subjecting them to simulated drowning.

He said anew that CIA operatives who did the interrogating should not be charged with crimes because they thought they were following the law.

"I think there are a host of very complicated issues involved here," the president said. "As a general deal, I think that we should be looking forward and not backwards. I do worry about this getting so politicized that we cannot function effectively, and it hampers our ability to carry out national security operations."

Still, he suggested that Congress might set up a bipartisan review, outside its typical hearings, if it wants a "further accounting" of what happened during the period when the interrogation methods were authorized. His press secretary later said the independent Sept. 11 commission, which investigated and then reported on the terror attacks of 2001, might be a model.

The harsher methods were authorized to gain information after the 2001 attacks.

The three men facing the most scrutiny are former Justice Department officials Jay Bybee, John Yoo and Steven Bradbury. Bybee is currently a judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Yoo is a professor at the University of California-Berkeley.

It might be argued that the officials were simply doing their jobs, providing legal advice for the Bush administration. However, John Strait, a law professor at Seattle University said, "I think there are a slew of potential charges."

Those could include conspiracy to commit felonies, including torture, he suggested.

Bybee also could face impeachment in Congress if lawmakers were so inclined.

A federal investigation into the memos is being conducted by the Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility, which usually limits itself to examining the ethical behavior of employees but whose work in rare cases leads to criminal investigations.

The chairmen of the Senate and House Judiciary committees said Tuesday they want to move ahead with previously proposed, independent commissions to examine George W. Bush's national security policies.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., who has referred to his proposed panel as a "Truth Commission," said, "I agree with President Obama: An examination into these Bush-Cheney era national security policies must be nonpartisan. ... Unfortunately, Republicans have shown no interest in a nonpartisan review."

Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., has proposed separate hearings by his committee in addition to an independent commission.

Over the past weekend, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel said in a television interview the administration did not support prosecutions for "those who devised policy." White House aides say he was referring to CIA superiors who ordered the interrogations, not the Justice Department officials who wrote the legal memos allowing them.

Yet it was unclear exactly whom Obama meant in opening the door to potential prosecutions of those who "formulated the legal decisions." Press Secretary Robert Gibbs was asked if the president meant the lawyers who declared the interrogation methods legal, or the policymakers who ordered, them or both.

"I don't know the answer to that," Gibbs said during a briefing in which he was peppered with questions about the president's words. Later, he added: "The parsing of some of this is better done through a filter of the rule of law and done at the Justice Department and not done here at the White House."

When pressed about any confusion stemming from his comments and Emanuel's, Gibbs said: "Take what the president said, as I'm informed he got more votes than either of the two of us."

A number of Republicans, including former Vice President Cheney and former top intelligence officials, say Obama has undermined national security with his release of the memos on the matter. On the other side, some Democratic lawmakers, human rights groups and liberal advocates want to see punishment for those involved in sanctioning brutal interrogations — the kind they say amount to torture and have damaged U.S. standing around the world.

"Certainly, this is an attempt not just to stake a ground between the left and the right, but also to navigate through something that he would prefer not be there as an ongoing issue," said Norman Ornstein, a scholar of U.S. politics at the American Enterprise Institute.

"He's walking the tightrope," Ornstein added. "You don't want to give a blanket, `Everything's OK, we're only moving forward.' And you don't want a president making a decision that it is a legal decision."

Obama said he was not proposing that another investigation be launched, but if it happens it should be done in a way that does not "provide one side or another political advantage but rather is being done in order to learn some lessons so that we move forward in an effective way."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Obama open to torture memos probe, prosecution
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
It is being discussed, in the thread that I merged it into... ;)

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 11:25:21 AM »
It used to be that events like this one were just photo ops for poobahs.  With Obama that's been expanded: into lecture ops.   He just cannot resist a chance to preach his morality, no matter how absurd, inappropriate, or arrogant.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Obama visiting CIA, prosecuting former interrogators?
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
Jeez, guys: thanks for hijacking my thread about Obama cultism in the friggin' CIA!

This wasn't about torture.

But I guess it can be...

TC

PS: I take perverse pleasure in the fact that the forum software burps at "Obama." As in, "are you sure that's a real wor =Dd?
TC
RT Refugee

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »
I guess I fail to see the similarity between torturing the innocent to save the innocent and torturing the guilty to save the innocent.  Just like I fail to see the similarity between shooting the gun-wielding psychopath, and shooting the kid playing in the sandbox. 

But thanks for thinking well of me, previously. 

You start with the basis; torture is morally wrong. You then say; but sometimes it's ok. If there are circumstances where torture is ok, then wouldn't those same circumstances warrant other things that are normally immoral? If it's so important and vital that torturing the suspect is ok, wouldn't you also be justified in hurting their family? If not, why? When the basis of your argument is situational ethics, it's hard to see why you're getting uppity over taking them to their logical conclusion.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
You start with the basis; torture is morally wrong. You then say; but sometimes it's ok. If there are circumstances where torture is ok, then wouldn't those same circumstances warrant other things that are normally immoral? If it's so important and vital that torturing the suspect is ok, wouldn't you also be justified in hurting their family? If not, why? When the basis of your argument is situational ethics, it's hard to see why you're getting uppity over taking them to their logical conclusion.

That's only if you start with the basis that torture is wrong.

If you, instead, believe that torture of innocent people is wrong, there is no such conflict, nor is there a situational ethics problem.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »
theres an ironic flavor to listening to a country that nuked two civilan populations get all aflutter about a lil torture on a small number of folks to extract info. kinda like the peta folks who eat meat

the more amusing since its primarily a western culture thing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 08:34:05 PM »
You start with the basis; torture is morally wrong.

News to me. 

Funny that in another thread so many of us were ready to back a cop to the hilt, if he had tasered a kid who socked him in the face.  But now, we're squeamish about doing the same thing, when it would actually, immediately save lives. 

Yeah, I know, the thread has more to do with the run-of-the-mill interrogation in GITMO, not the 24 sort of scenario I'm talking about.  My point is that "torture is morally wrong" as a blanket statement is not realistic.  If the use of force is acceptable to protect the innocent, we may well find ourselves needing to use force when the bad guy is in a cell, but is essentially holding a gun to someone's head.   

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
:rolleyes:

If torture is not morally wrong, why should we limit it to those certain situations?

Stepping away from the theoretical, do you really think if we legalize torture it'll only be used in those circumstances?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
Yesterday at the White House

<brring, brring>

WH Operator--"White House"

Soros--"George, here!  Lemme speak to Barak."

WH Operator--"Stand by for the President"

POTUS--"George, how's it hangin', dude?

Soros--"Barak, did you not get the memo?  Whassup with you not wanting to prosecute the bad guys in Bush's administration?  I thought you were on board with making them pay for implementing so-called torture policies.  "

POTUS--"George, I did a little polling and feeling and figured out it would be best not to get all wrapped up in correcting the sins of the past.  I figured it was best to just expose the policy and be done with it."

Soros--"Barak, what have I told you about thinking for yourself.  Your job is to implement my agenda, not your agenda."

POTUS--"But. . . , but. . . . "

Soros--"We all make mistakes.  The paper flow in the WH must be overwhelming.  I can understand how you missed the memo.  What say you and I forget the past and get on with the agenda.  Bush's administration's players need to serve as examples for the betterment of the world we want to create.  They can't serve as examples if we don't squeeze 'em in the courts."

POTUS--"George, what laws have they violated.  Most of the people you want squashed were offering legal advice.  What law was violated?  It was advice for cryin' out loud."

Soros--"Barak, get with the program.  Either you come down on 'em or I figure a way to take to the world court. . . . kinda like what Spain is trying to do.  So here is your decision.  Reverse yourself or the glory of prosecution for torturers will go to the World Court.  Your choice, bud."

POTUS--"You mean the accolades will go to someone else?"

Soros--"Yup!"

POTUS--"My mind is right.  Yessir, yessir, three bags full, sir."

Soros--"I knew you'd see things properly.  You do good work, Barak.  You're a little inexperienced but I have confidence you'll grow into the job."

POTUS--"Will flipping my decision tomorrow be soon enough?"

Soros--"That will be just fine.  Have a nice day!"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:21:58 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
If torture is not morally wrong, why should we limit it to those certain situations?

i might not limit it.  we had a low life out here "lost" his girl friends lil boy. he first claimed kid was kidnapped from his truck at walmart when he left the kid in the car.  then he claimed he forgot the kid when he left the place where he was cutting wood.
it was obvious he was lying and for a time there was a belief the kid was still alive. the low life clammed up.  at that point i would have no problem being real persuasive. i suspect he might have been more forthcoming. as it turns out he had killed the kid for wetting his pants in his truck. killed him stuffed the body in a 50 gallon drum and dumped it in the lake.  he finally led authorities to the body in exchange for sentencing considerations. he would not have had that privilege if i coulda helped it.  it is indeed a slippery slope   lots of things in life that require high stakes judgment calls that would just be one more
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:14 PM »
Shoot, if torture is no big deal let's torture everyone! Suspected of kidnapping? Torture! We can't find your partners in crime? Torture! We think you've done other bad stuff? Torture!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »
Saw a talking head from some lawyer's organization saying that anyone who waterboarded a jihadi needs to be prosecuted . . . even if the information saved lives.

She was willing to sacrifice American lives to avoid waterboarding a bona-fide bad guy.  :rolleyes:

I remember when Jimmy Carter gutted our intelligence services - they never did fully recover. Now Obama seems intent on finishing the job - our operatives will wonder if the leadership has their back - or is going to stab them in the back.

The celebratory vodka is flowing in the Kremlin . . . and Peking . . . and Tehran . . . etc. etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
:rolleyes:

Stepping away from the theoretical, do you really think if we legalize torture it'll only be used in those circumstances?

You could say that about lethal force.  Or tasers.  Or any number of things.  We're not water-boarding people for parking ticket violations, nor is it legal to shoot people for having non-compliant exhaust systems. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
I wonder how far the witch-hunt will go?

I'm retired now, but it's not as if the UCMJ hasn't prosecuted retired military before...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »
I wonder how far the witch-hunt will go?
As far as George Soros wants it to go.  Make no mistake, Soros is about to inflict vengeance on the Bush family.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:33 AM »
As far as George Soros wants it to go.  Make no mistake, Soros is about to inflict vengeance on the Bush family.

Cites, or just wild internet speculation?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
You could say that about lethal force.  Or tasers.  Or any number of things.  We're not water-boarding people for parking ticket violations, nor is it legal to shoot people for having non-compliant exhaust systems. 

Well, I guess I'm just one of those cowards who thinks the .gov shouldn't be torturing people.

As an aside, you still haven't answered the pragmatic aspects of your belief. Do you really think the power to torture is one the .gov will handle responsibly?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
Well, I guess I'm just one of those cowards who thinks the .gov shouldn't be torturing people.

As an aside, you still haven't answered the pragmatic aspects of your belief. Do you really think the power to torture is one the .gov will handle responsibly?

Do you think the power to execute criminals is one the .gov will handle responsibly?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »
Do you think the power to execute criminals is one the .gov will handle responsibly?

The power to execute criminals is limited - by the power of appeal, by the existence of juries, and so forth.

This is not the case with torture. The people who are being tortured - and may or may not be actually guilty - do not get tried by a jury of their peers before torture is authorized, and in fact, such a trial would be impossible.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner