Author Topic: Specter Switches Parties!  (Read 6531 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Specter Switches Parties!
« on: April 28, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
Specter just gave the Dems in the senate a fillibuster proof majority - POS!
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=31639

Hopefully Toomey can take him out in '10.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Specter Switches Parties!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »
It's only a label.

He's been with 'em for years.

Now if McCain would follow suit, at least we'd have some honesty in politics.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
Yep, he's been with them for years, but I intend to write him and demand my campaign contributions back.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Thylacine

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
Any way to trigger a recall?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »
Parties have become irrelevant.  Why do we continue to play this silly game?

What matters at this juncture is defense of the Constitution and States' rights.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »
Yep. I'm so glad that President Bush and the Republican party spent so much money and political capital to support him in 2004.

Bravo, stupid party. Bravo.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
Specter's contact page is suddenly broken.

Golly.  Whodathunkit?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »
Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats.
Anyone else think this is Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos at work?  :laugh:

Wasn't there somebody in the primary last time versus Specter, the GOP wanted to keep the status quo?

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:08:11 PM »
If the RINO's keep switching parties, maybe we will end up a 2 Party System after all.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:45 PM »
If the RINO's keep switching parties, maybe we will end up a 2 Party System after all.

:lol:  Yeah.  One down; many more to go. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:32 PM »
Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats.

Wasn't there somebody in the primary last time versus Specter, the GOP wanted to keep the status quo?

Pat Toomey.

And to answer your question, no.  At least not in PA.  Most of the Repubs switched because they were pissed at the Repubs in Congress and Bush.  Though, they have been very helpful for the more conservative branch of the Dems here in PA.  Excluding Philly and Harrisburg, there's lots of us.  Pittsburg is a mixed lot.  There is one area of hardcore Leftism that I can't discuss for PC reasons, but essentially that pocket is untouchable.  I'll ask around and see who we PA Dems can find to run against Specter.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:27 PM »
It's time for those on the Right to stop playing the game.

If they want a de facto one-party system, give it to them.   Get out, walk out, be men.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
Also, it appears the Democrats will court conservative Democrats who are also true to their party and will excercise party discipline on them.

The Republicans, in contrast, will try to appease liberal Republicans who will drop them when they realize it's to their political advantage.

Now how is it that the Democrats can recognize the problems of appeasement IN POLITICS while the Republicans think if they just play nice we can get along?

Again, bravo, stupid party. Bravo.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »

I hold Limbaugh and much of "conservative" talk radio at fault for this.....during the "Contract with America" back in 1994, much of the House's conservative agenda was stymied in the Senate by the likes of Dole, Specter, McCain, and other RINOS. When the conservative Republicans clamored for the GOP to expunge them in the next election, Limbaugh came out and urged Repubs to vote them back in. He and his cohorts did the same thing for Dole's presidential campaign and when Bush turned out be a closet liberal in 2004. As a result, the RINOS took control of the party and pushed out the conservatives.....and here we are today....  :mad:

Right now, conservatives have two options....take back the GOP and clean out the RINOs (even if it means losing the majority of both houses for a few terms) or start a new party to compete with the big two....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »
You know what?

I've been trying to say we need to do everything we can to stall the Democrat agenda and try to preserve enough of our country that once we do get control, we can take the steps to fix it.

Now? There's nothing left we can do (provided the Democrats do succeed in stealing the Minnesota election).

We need to seriously clean out the non-conservatives in the party.

We need to give people a clear choice in 2010. That's what happened in 1994. It needs to happen again.

Maybe we can include the Senate in the next "Contract with America".

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 05:28:49 PM »
Heard a co-worker say, "Yeah I heard that too.  Too bad he's still a Democrat."

:laugh:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Too many conservatives live in a fantasy of what America has long since stopped being.  We have one serious option: to preserve as much of what's left of America as they can.  That means shoring up the Constitution and defending states' rights.  Demographic trends and the mass culture favor a growing Dem majority.  What do conservatives have to offer?  Reason and Liberty.  Those are tough sells in this kind of society, I'm afraid.  America was founded by adults, for adults, but today the majority of Americans are perpetual adolescents who can't reason, are poorly informed, addicted to anything that will stop the pain, and completely unaware of their own legacy and values. If you think that's too pessimistic, ask yourself how we got to this sorry pass.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
Too many conservatives live in a fantasy of what America has long since stopped being.  We have one serious option: to preserve as much of what's left of America as they can.  That means shoring up the Constitution and defending states' rights.  Demographic trends and the mass culture favor a growing Dem majority.  What do conservatives have to offer?  Reason and Liberty.  Those are tough sells in this kind of society, I'm afraid.  America was founded by adults, for adults, but today the majority of Americans are perpetual adolescents who can't reason, are poorly informed, addicted to anything that will stop the pain, and completely unaware of their own legacy and values. If you think that's too pessimistic, ask yourself how we got to this sorry pass.

What's even scarier, is I agree %100 with longeyes on this one.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »
Spector has been a Democrat for years.  I think he ought to retire. He switched because he was very likely to loose the Republican Senate primary.  His day will come.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »
Do you not find it interesting Spector figured out he is a loser 18 months before the election?  I'd be interested in the actions of similar politicans; oh, say McCain ferrinstance.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
Do you not find it interesting Spector figured out he is a loser 18 months before the election?  I'd be interested in the actions of similar politicans; oh, say McCain ferrinstance.

McCain's only declared primary competition is Chris Simcox of the Minutemen.

There's a lot of dirt on Simcox.  Restraining orders, domestic violence accusations, running a historically significant newspaper into the ground, embezzling money from MCDC, getting coerced easily by Washington interests (Deiner Consultants)... The list is quite long.

Simcox is an easy political kill.

I support closing the border and the PBA and all affiliated groups, but after Simcox's behavior for the last 3-4 years I have not been active with MCDC.  If I can't see eye-to-eye with him, then it's unlikely that the less politically active portions of Arizona's population are going to like what they hear about him.

Now... if JD Hayworth jumps on after the easy Simcox kill... McCain is done.  But I think Hayworth is holding out for Governor of AZ.
--Lysander Spooner

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »
What's even scarier, is I agree %100 with longeyes on this one.

Me too.

Specter is best gone. I hope the arrogant <deleted> gets hammered by some young stud real Republican in the general election. He pissed me off so bad a couple of minutes ago when he said (I paraphrase):

I refuse to let the future of my 29-year Senate experience rest on the shoulders of the republican Party primary process.

WHAT? You puking dog--that's how we run elections in the United States, butthead. You are entitled to nothing, Pansy! I hope the PA voters hammer you into tin foil next year.

Thomas Jefferson is spinning in his grave, I swear to God.

Pennsylvania: Murtha and Specter--what a pair. Can we get Mike's Mom and our fellow APSers out and nuke the place?

TC
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:23:14 PM by Leatherneck »
TC
RT Refugee

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »
Specter just gave the Dems in the senate a fillibuster proof majority - POS!
With Specter, Olympia Snowe, and that other RINO female (Collins?) . . . the Democrats already had that filibuster proof majority on most issues.

This just helps to make it more "official" and strips away some of the cloak of "bipartisanship" the Dems crowed about when Specter voted with them.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
They can have him if they promise not to return him.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »
Good riddance to bad rubbish.  Now let's get Toomey elected.