Author Topic: Specter Switches Parties!  (Read 6531 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Specter Switches Parties!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
Thomas Jefferson is spinning in his grave, I swear to God.

Pennsylvania: Murtha and Specter--what a pair. Can we get Mike's Mom and our fellow APSers out and nuke the place?

TC

Ahem.  Thanks.   ;)

I personally like PA.  Excluding Philly, we have a lot of beautiful country, nice folks, lots of guns and a pretty moderate political scene.  We have a very well written State Constitution that expressly states that you as an individual have a right to defend your property and life.  With arms if you prefer.  We have a Uniform Firearms Act which is the sole state law on firearms and precludes any lower government entity from infringing on our specific rights in regards to keeping and bearing arms.   It codifies into the law of the land that any government entity under its juristriction that infringes RKBA is committing a crime.  Not that any anti-RKBA govt action is invalid, but rather illegal. 

Specter historically wasn't that bad.  It's only recently he went way off the reservation.  Santorium went off the reservation and got replaced.  Specter will probably get replaced.  Folks are looking for valid replacements, we'll see.   It's a little early to advocating nuking us.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Santorum's problem was he held Trent Lott's hat and coat and it caught up with him. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 01:30:34 AM »
There's a lot of dirt on Simcox.  Restraining orders, domestic violence accusations, running a historically significant newspaper into the ground, embezzling money from MCDC, getting coerced easily by Washington interests (Deiner Consultants)... The list is quite long.

Really? I hadn't heard about that. Any indication if they are reliable?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »
I refuse to let the future of my 29-year Senate experience rest on the shoulders of the republican Party primary process.

29 YEAR this is the problem!!

We need to get the law changed 8 years and your out just like the president!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 10:19:33 AM »
I have faith that the Pennsylvania T zone will see through this shameless bit of political expediency.

It's amazing that he'd whine about the Republican primary process when he used it to his benefit several times.

He knew the writing was on the wall -- Toomey had a 20 point advantage among Republicans.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »
Can Toomey beat Specter in a general election?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
Can Toomey beat Specter in a general election?

Depends.   Specter has annoyed a lot of folks, but he has the advantage of name recognition and lack of aggressive competition.

PA isn't as party loyalist as some folks are.  Hell, when the Dems internally disagreed too much over electing a speaker for the House, the compromise was to put a Repub at the job (of a Dem controlled House, mind you).  It was a short term thing, but barely raised an eyebrow.

Mind you, the rest of the post is coming from someone active in the PA Democratic Party. 

As much as it annoys people, we will put our own interests ahead of party lines.  Especially if those party lines are coming from the federal level.  If folks think Toomey will just toe the GOP party line without regards to his actual voters, then he's dead in the water.   Bob Casey Jr is a Dem, mostly toes the Dem party line when it doesn't blatantly matter, but he doesn't tend to stab us in the back either.  Much stronger 2A supporter too.  Keeps a nice low profile and doesn't screw us over too badly.  That's essentially all we care about.

We're not going to do a recall and most folks are just waiting to see what happens at election time.  IF the dems as a party start to majorly screw up, they'll be tossed out.  The dems got a lot of seats because the Repubs pissed off a lot of folks during the Bush years.  The anti-Bush backlash honeymoon is almost over.  Not quite, but close. 

They will lose seats if they burn their political capital on one more unpopular subject.  Bailing out the banks and the auto industry burned a lot of the public goodwill.   If they pretty much do nothing politically aggressive until the next election, they'll hold power.  Maybe lose few seats, maybe gain a few.  No big change.  If they pick a sensitive issue and run with it, they'll lose big.  A gun ban, amnesty bill, or another huge spending bill and they're dead come next election. 

At a state level, we have the lovely opposite problem.  Folks are annoyed at our guv, and unless he Does Something to pander to Philly, he's gone come re-election.  He knows it, which is why he's sucking up to Philly with the anti-gun rhetoric.  Unless he's dumber than a box of rocks, I think he wants to loudly squawk about guns to get philly, but not actually sign anything so the rest of the state really wants to toss him out. Unless the opposition sucks, which is always possible.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »
At a state level, we have the lovely opposite problem.  Folks are annoyed at our guv, and unless he Does Something to pander to Philly, he's gone come re-election. 

Actually he's gone not matter what. Term limits.

PA tends to go both ways, mostly because of Philly. We'll see how it goes this time around, but I really think all those Dems polling positively for Spectre are only doing so because he is bucking the Republican party, much like polls showed more support from Dems than McCain got once the real vote actually came up.