Author Topic: Evolution?  (Read 9261 times)

stever

Re: Evolution?
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »
Darwinism is incompatible with Christianity for the mere reason that Darwinism's basic premise is that life evolved unguided.  Christianity is anything but unguided since the Triune God has a Will.  God may have used evolution in aspects of His creation but it was not Darwinistic or Neo-Darwinistic evolution.

nico

• friend
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2007, 04:55:24 PM »
I reject the contention that somehow religion and science are at the opposite ends of a psychological/theological spectrum.
I agree.  Assuming our concept of time is somewhat accurate, both ideas require something, at some point, to come from nothing.  The idea that materials, God, etc. were "just there" would imply that we don't have an accurate concept of time. 

Like a few people have said, the theory of evolution describes how living organisms change over time; nothing more.  Whether extending the theory to apply to the way in which species originated is legitimate is a completely different discussion.  The bottom line is evolution does occur and, as described earlier in this thread, can be easily demonstrated with bacteria and fungi by exposing them to various chemicals or toxins.  Evolution is the basis for the constant battle against antibiotic immunity in bacteria, as well as many other theories that work in real life.

Here's a simple way to test evolution for the people who don't think it occurs:  the next time you get a sinus infection, strep throat, bronchitis, or some other bacterial infection, ask your doctor to give you penicillin.  NOT methicillin, ciproflaxin, ampicillin, clavamox, or some other modern antibiotic; just plain penicillin.  If the theory of evolution is bunk, then the penicillin will work and you'll get better.  Be sure to let us know how it works out Wink 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:38 AM »
I reject the contention that somehow religion and science are at the opposite ends of a psychological/theological spectrum.
I agree.  Assuming our concept of time is somewhat accurate, both ideas require something, at some point, to come from nothing.  The idea that materials, God, etc. were "just there" would imply that we don't have an accurate concept of time. 

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!!!  We are inconsequential specks in the universe and have not a clue to what time really is. 

Like a few people have said, the theory of evolution describes how living organisms change over time; nothing more.  Whether extending the theory to apply to the way in which species originated is legitimate is a completely different discussion.  The bottom line is evolution does occur and, as described earlier in this thread, can be easily demonstrated with bacteria and fungi by exposing them to various chemicals or toxins.  Evolution is the basis for the constant battle against antibiotic immunity in bacteria, as well as many other theories that work in real life.

Here's a simple way to test evolution for the people who don't think it occurs:  the next time you get a sinus infection, strep throat, bronchitis, or some other bacterial infection, ask your doctor to give you penicillin.  NOT methicillin, ciproflaxin, ampicillin, clavamox, or some other modern antibiotic; just plain penicillin.  If the theory of evolution is bunk, then the penicillin will work and you'll get better.  Be sure to let us know how it works out Wink 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”