Author Topic: 400 Year-Old Dude Was Ready for Action  (Read 62 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
400 Year-Old Dude Was Ready for Action
« on: Today at 09:01:46 AM »
Sorry it's a stupid Business Insider link, but I thought this was pretty interesting. A hiker found 400 year-old remains of what archeologists are saying was a wealthy man crossing the Alps who didn't make it. What was interesting is that he was weighed down with knives, a sword, a gun, and a bunch of ducats. I'm really curious about the gun.

The bonus is laughing at Business Insider, who went off on a "global warming" rant regarding how he was discovered because the ice melted, without thinking about the fact that he was walking on top of the ice 400 years ago.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ancient-wealthy-traveler-discovered-thawing-glacier-archaeology-2024-3
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 400 Year-Old Dude Was Ready for Action
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:14:25 AM »
Looks like the pistol was probably a wheellock.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:20:56 AM »

The bonus is laughing at Business Insider, who went off on a "global warming" rant regarding how he was discovered because the ice melted, without thinking about the fact that he was walking on top of the ice 400 years ago.

Glaciers flow, why they're called "rivers of ice", and deposit trapped items at their base all the time.

First they admit it was an unusually cold period

"This field of ice high in the Alps, below the range's iconic and imposing Matterhorn, formed a treacherous pass between what's now Switzerland and Italy. It was the middle of the Little Ice Age, and more ice was forming along its edges every year."

Then goes on to blame man made global warming for the glacier retreating 

"For about two centuries now, our use of fossil fuels has been releasing greenhouse gases into the air, mainly carbon dioxide and methane.
As a result, the atmosphere is holding in more heat from the sun, raising the planet's average temperature and causing glaciers such as Theodul to melt away."
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:54:22 AM »
I never find interesting stuff like this. I wouldn't mind having some 400 year old coins and blades in my collection.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:06:53 AM »
Looks like the pistol was probably a wheellock.

No, it's definitely a Ruger 10mm with a Holosun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:19:57 AM »
No, it's definitely a Ruger 10mm with a Holosun.

With an a full semi auto assault shoulder thing that goes up and a compass in the stock
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes