Author Topic: Wingsuits. This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  (Read 4408 times)

Manedwolf

• friend

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Wingsuits. This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
yea but do they make them in plus sizes???
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:12:22 AM »
Mass, inertia vs. lift...I'm guessing "no".

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
Those are pretty cool. However, I think the video is a bit misleading, as with the camera angles used it looks like they almost achieve level flight.

Those suits have a glide slope of about 2.5:1 (but way better than a rock cheesy)and slow your descent by a little more than half or to just under 60 mph.

Still, pretty darn wicked cool.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:33:22 AM »
splat.

Be interesting... I wonder what kind of glide ratio they've got... Be more interesting, get into a glide, and then mechanically expand the wing surface... The individual soldier wouldn't be able to carry a lot of weaponry tho... I wonder... Should we bring back the glider riders? Wood and fiberglass gilders - not meant to soar, but to just give a decent glide ratio... Either fly it in for a landing, or figure on "punch out" at 500 feet or so...

Blog under construction

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
There was a famous wingsuiter on the Colbert report a few nights ago.  He was trying to get funding to build a landing ramp.  He said they get about 5-6 feet forward for every 1 of dropped altitude.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »
Those suits have a glide slope of about 2.5:1 (but way better than a rock cheesy)and slow your descent by a little more than half or to just under 60 mph.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
There was a famous wingsuiter on the Colbert report a few nights ago.  He was trying to get funding to build a landing ramp.  He said they get about 5-6 feet forward for every 1 of dropped altitude.

That was probably Jeb Corliss.  I heard about a year ago that they were getting their downward speed down to about 30-35mph with the suits that they were building.  Sounds like they've made massive improvements in wingsuit design since they started this adventure back in 2005.  I think it was 2005.

Somebody's going to land in one of them these days.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
I just want to see Manedwolf wearing one of those....whether he jumps or not....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »

That was probably Jeb Corliss.  I heard about a year ago that they were getting their downward speed down to about 30-35mph with the suits that they were building.  Sounds like they've made massive improvements in wingsuit design since they started this adventure back in 2005.  I think it was 2005.

Somebody's going to land in one of them these days.
  I believe it was.  And that was his goal, to land successfully.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 07:05:52 PM »
30-35mph is Gonna Hurt.

Plus the forward momentum is Gonna Leave A Mark.

I wonder how well skidding in a stubby glider would work... Get the thing going about 5' off the ground, and pop those big drogue chutes (give 'em an assist, like an airbag...) in the back... Build the thing with skis integral - since wheels could turn sorta problematic in less than non-fissured terrain. Hmm...

No, I am NOT going to be the first one to try it...

Blog under construction

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »
yea but do they make them in plus sizes???

Plus-size people already have "wings". Duh...   grin
I promise not to duck.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 06:55:03 AM »
A little carbon fiber spar to extend the span, a little sprung chassis with lightweight CF wheels, I think it's landable if you had the strength in your arms to change the wing's angle of attack so as to flare...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »
Landing is easy.......surviving the landing is the trick....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »
30-35mph is Gonna Hurt.

I wonder how well skidding in a stubby glider would work... Get the thing going about 5' off the ground, and pop those big drogue chutes (give 'em an assist, like an airbag...) in the back... Build the thing with skis integral - since wheels could turn sorta problematic in less than non-fissured terrain. Hmm...

No, I am NOT going to be the first one to try it...

Best Jeb and Co. have come up with so far is to build a ski jump that's long enough for them to slide down on.  A custom job that'll match their rate of descent just perfectly.  Put a skid plate on the chest and some slick kneepads on and there ya go.

Remember the video of the guy that's jumping out of the chopper and skims over the head of a couple guys on skis on a mountain?  That was a test of the idea.  Jean scouted around until he found the perfect mountain that matched his rate of descent.  They're getting more and more daring with how close they come to objects now.

It's just a matter of time.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
30-35mph is Gonna Hurt.

pfff  30-35

I've "landed" doing over 60 on a gravel road,  off of a suzuki that had a less than desirable glide ratio.  It does leave a mark.

that looks like a wild ride though.

atomd

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »
I've "landed" doing over 60 on a gravel road,  off of a suzuki that had a less than desirable glide ratio.  It does leave a mark.

that looks like a wild ride though.

Me too. I was on a Suzuki as well at ~60mph. The road wasn't gravel though. Luckily I had on the right gear so I wasn't as bad off as I could have been.

I bet these guys could land with a special ramp or a modified suit. Maybe something that they could extend out further before landing that would slow them down just enough. Interesting stuff.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 12:30:06 PM »
they make it so I don't need a parachute and I'm in.

Till then something about my life releying on a chute makes me back away lol

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »
It's just a matter of time.

Yup...splat!  Not enough margin for error in it for my taste.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.