Author Topic: Winning a house fun, but not free  (Read 7880 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Winning a house fun, but not free
« on: June 29, 2008, 02:27:44 PM »

Winning a house fun, but not free
By VANESSA GREGORY, Californian staff writer
e-mail: vgregory@bakersfield.com 

Eight months after winning a house in a charity raffle, Carol Williams says the whole experience was fun but expensive.

Williams was the first winner in Bakersfield Memorial Hospitals House of Hope fundraiser. She knew her $100 ticket was lucky, Williams said, because it was numbered 01984  the year of a sons birth and her husbands passing.

Sure enough, the ticket netted her a house in the northeasts Julianas Garden development, inside City in the Hills. At the time, the brand new house was valued at $345,000. And that meant meeting some hefty tax obligations  $111,000 worth  before she could claim the deed.

You know, its just such a shock, Williams said. (Tax collectors) put it in as a lottery win.

After the excitement of having her name called, it was time for the 57-year-old retiree to figure out how to make the windfall work financially.

Bakersfield Memorial Hospital discloses tax ramifications in its rules, vice president Ken Keller said. The St. Jude Dream Home Giveaway, which benefits St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital, lists its terms and conditions on tickets and in brochures, spokeswoman Mariana Vargas said.

St. Jude has been raffling off homes across the nation for 30 years, Vargas said. Last year, the Bakersfield raffle raised about $1.4 million, she said. The charity aims to get 100 percent of each homes cost donated by builders and subcontractors.

Bakersfield Memorial Hospital has done two home raffles as part of a capital campaign to help fund a tower which will house 114 new patient rooms, Keller said. The houses in the program were discounted, but not free to the hospital, he said. Keller wouldnt comment on how much was paid for each house, but said the raffles were profitable.

In California, home raffle winners are subject to federal and state income tax, said Chris Thornburgh, a certified public accountant and partner at Brown Armstrong in Bakersfield.

Most people are going to quickly find themselves in a very high income tax bracket, Thornburgh said. Federal tax rates top out at 35 percent, and the state tops out at 9.3 percent, she said.

Any winner would be wise to see a tax adviser as soon as possible, she said. Possible strategies include pre-paying part, or all, of state income taxes in an effort to reduce federal taxes.

Most people have to take a mortgage just to pay the income tax, Thornburgh said.

Williams was lucky to get loans from friends for the taxes, she said.

She briefly considered moving into the house she won.

I love the house, she said. The kitchen was gorgeous. The master bedroom  you couldnt ask for anything bigger.

But moving would have meant homeowners association dues, new blinds and other overhead costs.

In the end, she kept the television that came with the house and decided to stay put in her modest south Bakersfield home, a stones throw from the car dealerships lining Gasoline Alley Drive.

Deciding to sell the house proved tricky, because some buyers knew she had won a raffle and assumed she hadnt paid a dime for the house. She went into escrow twice with one unsuccessful would-be buyer.

People just want you to give it away, Williams said.

Williams finally sold the house last month for $225,000, records show. She made a little profit and wouldnt discourage anyone from buying a ticket.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Winning a house fun, but not free
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
Any sweepstakes for a house ought to include the tax payment as well, or it's rather like shaking someone's hand, then punching them.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
Yes, and a sucker punch at that.

"Here's the key to your new house."  smiley

"Here's the tax bill, for three times your annual income. Enjoy the house. Bye."  grin
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »
I work with a guy who won a house 2 years ago.  He was offered 100K or a 150K house with a bunch of furniture.  He took the money and managed to hold enough back to pay the tax bill.  I was thinking he would have been better trying to resell the house, but maybe not. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 05:01:09 PM »
The Extreme Makeover show came into our area a while back and moved a guy and his nephew and neice out of their "berm" house and built them a really nice place. Think of the berm house as a basement with a roof.

He now has it for sale. The 3600 sq. ft. house is a little much for the 3 of them, requiring too much maintenance so he says. I wonder how much taxes played a roll in the decision to sell?

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho/story.asp?ID=245561

http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/articles/2008/05/19/news/news01.txt

http://www.tomlinsonsandpointsothebysrealty.com/detail.php?LI=21203

If you are going to give someone something, make so it fits their lifestyle and budget, is that too hard?

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:00:54 AM »
Williams finally sold the house last month for $225,000, records show. She made a little profit and wouldnt discourage anyone from buying a ticket.
Actually, she should have made quite a bit of profit, since you're required to pay taxes on the actual market value, which may differ considerably from the market valued claimed by the prize supplier.

It does take some documentation to establish actual market value of a non-cash prize.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:07:25 AM »
I would think it'd be more helpful if sweepstakes would give away a good, diversified investment portfolio, with the paperwork already set to deduct taxes from dividends.

But a lot of people probably wouldn't understand that. Personally, I'd much rather receive a mixed basket of high-yield mutual funds, stocks, foreign stocks, and currency investments with the taxes already accounted for than a "gift house" I have to pay taxes for, but that's me.

"Here's your $300,000 portfolio!"...THAT would make me happy.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:09:38 AM »
But a lot of people probably wouldn't understand that.

Unfortunately, a lot of people would not only entirely not understand, as soon as it was explained they'd simply sell it all and think they're really making out. People overall don't understand what investing means - many people I've talked to honestly think that means buying a house/car/more guns.  laugh
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:13:21 AM »
But a lot of people probably wouldn't understand that.

Unfortunately, a lot of people would not only entirely not understand, as soon as it was explained they'd simply sell it all and think they're really making out. People overall don't understand what investing means - many people I've talked to honestly think that means buying a house/car/more guns.  laugh

Wellll....SOME guns can definitely be investments. They're one of the few things that tend to appreciate in value if they're well-kept and are rare or collector-desired models.

Cars are just instant depreciation from the moment they leave the showroom floor, unless they're rare models kept in a climate-controlled museum.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:55:12 AM »
I would think it'd be more helpful if sweepstakes would give away a good, diversified investment portfolio, with the paperwork already set to deduct taxes from dividends.

But a lot of people probably wouldn't understand that. Personally, I'd much rather receive a mixed basket of high-yield mutual funds, stocks, foreign stocks, and currency investments with the taxes already accounted for than a "gift house" I have to pay taxes for, but that's me.

"Here's your $300,000 portfolio!"...THAT would make me happy.

But that would be harder to blow in 3 months on TVs, vacations, cars, and cloths!