Author Topic: Winter Weather Advisory  (Read 13021 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Winter Weather Advisory
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »
mom was right i heard it from a bandmember in an interview. one of em was dating an anthropology major
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:15:18 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
The weatherbabe on one of the local channels was warning us about cold weather this morning:

BITTER COLD TEPERATURES!

PARKAS, LAYERS, HATS AND GLOVES!

"Protect your whole family, including pets, plants . . . OK, plants may not be part of your family, but . . . "

"It's calm now, but if the wind picks up, we'll be seeing some wind chills . . . "

It dipped into the upper 20's.

Should I panic?  ;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:44 PM »
Wow, cold weather in the northern US in the middle of winter, who'd a thunk..........chris3

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
my gas grill doesn't work well in real cold
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »
Recieved 5 more inches of the glorious stuff last night. Probably have to go home and redig out the front of the driveway from the city plow truck burying back in. It has snowed everyday since last Friday.

Tonight's low is 20 below zero with 15-20mph winds.

Good news no chance of snow on Thursday but the daily high is only 5 below zero.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
Forecast for Northeast Aroostook
Updated: 3:57 PM EST on January 14, 2009
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 6 PM EST Thursday...

Tonight
Mostly clear this evening...then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows around 20 below. West winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming northwest around 5 mph late. Wind chill values as low as 30 below.

Thursday
Mostly cloudy in the morning...then becoming mostly sunny. Highs around 8 below. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill values as low as 30 below.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear and frigid. Lows 28 below higher locations to 36 below zero low lying areas. Winds near calm... except northwest at 5 to 10 mph over higher terrain.

Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs around 7 below. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Friday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows around 25 below. Southwest winds around 5 mph...becoming north after midnight.

Saturday
Mostly sunny. Highs 5 below to zero.

Saturday Night
Mostly clear. Lows around 30 below.

Wind Chill Advisory
Sponsored by State Farm

Statement as of 3:47 PM EST on January 14, 2009

... Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 6 PM EST Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Caribou has issued a Wind Chill
Advisory... which is in effect until 6 PM EST Thursday.

Expect wind chill temperatures as low as 30 below zero tonight and
Thursday.

A Wind Chill Advisory is issued when wind will combine with cold
temperatures to create dangerously cold conditions for exposed
skin. The wind will make it feel like it is between 20 and
34 degrees below zero for a period of several hours. Those
planning to venture outdoors should dress warmly making sure that
all exposed skin is covered.

-----

*Shrug*  :rolleyes:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 06:13:46 PM »
I've been living in Michigan and Wisconsin all my life, and my tolerance for the winters is gone.

I've never heard anyone from the south or the southwest say, "when I retire, I'm moving to Wisconsin."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »
I've never heard anyone from the south or the southwest say, "when I retire, I'm moving to Wisconsin."

The whole idea of needing a shovel to find the car in the morning does not appeal to most of us down here.  =)
For entertainment purposes only.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
NWS Chicago, IL
 Point Forecast: Wheaton IL
 41.87°N 88.09°W

Hazardous weather condition(s):
Hazardous Weather Outlook
Wind Chill Warning
Winter Weather Advisory

Tonight: Areas of blowing snow before midnight. Mostly clear, with a low around -11. Wind chill values as low as -31. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Thursday: Sunny and cold, with a high near -4. Wind chill values as low as -32. West northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Thursday Night: Clear, with a low around -17. Wind chill values as low as -34. West wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Wind chill values as low as -34. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5. South southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 22.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 24.

Sunday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

We've got well over a foot of the white stuff on the ground, with another 3-4 inches that came down last night early this morning.  Kids are betting on a "snow" day from school tomorrow in that it will be too cold to go to school (Buses not running).  I bet they will.... =D 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:33 PM »

Yeah you did.

Sometime around May of 2006, if I remember correctly. 

I hated the Florida heat and humidity, and was born and raised in Wisconsin's climate.

So when I retired, I moved back to my home state after 20+ years of living all over the place.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »
Yeah, Gewehr98, but everybody knows you're weird. ;)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »
-11F/-24C with a wind chill of -16F/-26.5C this morning.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
-22F was the actual temperature when I went outside to start my truck for work. Took a few cranks while and it finally started, Glad I bought a new battery in August. I let it warm up for 30 minutes before I left the driveway.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 10:42:56 PM »
I've been living in Michigan and Wisconsin all my life, and my tolerance for the winters is gone.

I'm getting tired of Minnesota winters. If it wasn't for my girlfriend, I would have moved south a long time ago.

I'm thinking about retirement in Texas. Spend my winters down south, and the rest of the year up north.

I think those migrating birds have the right idea.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 11:01:02 PM »
When Texas get's back to it's roots and goes Republic again, I'm moving myself and my rifles out of this bloody tundra down to Amarillo.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 11:09:43 PM »
One thing to remember about igloos... You need ventilation. Otherwise carbon DIoxide tends to build up... And while that won't kill you, you will get kinda short of breath, etc., etc., which wakes you up before you run out of oxygen...

Personally, I'd just pile a lot of 30 degree snow around my tent... Or my trailer... with the propane heater in it (vented, thank you...).

Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
One thing to remember about igloos... You need ventilation. Otherwise carbon DIoxide tends to build up... And while that won't kill you, you will get kinda short of breath, etc., etc., which wakes you up before you run out of oxygen...

Personally, I'd just pile a lot of 30 degree snow around my tent... Or my trailer... with the propane heater in it (vented, thank you...).

There was a 1" hole for ventilation combined with a little gap in the tarp. It snowed overnight and closed up the gap under the tarp and nearly plugged the hole. Here are all the pics from the igloo experiment.    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/569658907wINmlr?vhost=outdoors

It is currently -13 here just outside Chicago.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 12:26:47 AM »
So, that is an actual "igloo construction tool" or what?
Blog under construction

Nematocyst

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 04:12:17 AM »
...now I have to run out and pic up a little candle lantern so I have heat.

I'm a mountaineer type. I love sleeping in snow, especially on full moon nights, as long as I've got my winter bag (Northface rated to -25 F)

I watched a fascinating program on PBS a few years ago about a science guy who trekked into northern Siberia looking for a nomadic reindeer herder. (He was a geneticist and had evidence that the herder was connected to the ancestors of his tribe that came up from India thousands of years earlier, but that's not the main story here.)

He hired a Russian half-track to carry him in as far as he could, then met a guide who walked him in the rest of the way.

He found the tribe of reindeer herders.

Now to the point of the story. They lived in double walled yurts. They put this scientist up for the night in a yurt (double walled) with a fairly wimpy sleeping bag. It had a single candle as a heat source.

Next day, he reported that he stayed warm all night. Insulation is the key.

Just imagine how heating bills would plummet if we got our act together with insulation.

We should live in igloos and double walled yurts in winter time. Cut those heating bills.
Levers, wheels & blades

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
When Texas get's back to it's roots and goes Republic again, I'm moving myself and my rifles out of this bloody tundra down to Amarillo.

Head further south.....Amarillo is a bloody tundra....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nematocyst

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 06:51:05 AM »
Technically speaking,
Amarillo is not tundra,
but a bloody desert grassland.

Tundra is frozen grassland near the Arctic circle.
(It contains uncountable quantities of frozen plant matter
that anaerobic bacteria called 'methanogens' are converting to methane.)

Amarillo, otoh, is far south of there on the southwestern edge of the high plains,
just before you drop off into the Pecos drainage near Tucumcari, NM.

Not much further west of that drop off is an ecotone where
short-grass prairie from the mid-west meets
Chihuahuan desert from the south and
Great Basin desert from the northwest.

Interesting place that is.
Levers, wheels & blades

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 07:48:46 AM »
It was in the high teens during my Thursday night mountain bike ride.  My wind shell doesn't breath very well and by the end of the ride I had *snow* between the shell and my fleece jacket.  I carry my own weather system. :D

While I have a disk front brake, the rear is a standard rim brake.  After a couple creek crossings, the rear brake was useless for the rest of the ride.  I could squeeze as hard as I could and there would be no reduction in speed.  Luckily the disk up front worked fine.  I'm glad I'm going to front and rear disks when I build my next wheelset.  You can't beat disk brakes in bad conditions.

One guy's camelback bite valve was leaking and the top tube of his bike ended up encased in nearly a 1/4" of ice.

Currently, it's 12deg here.

Chris

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 09:01:08 AM »
So, that is an actual "igloo construction tool" or what?

Yes, it is an actual igloo construction tool.

Here is a link to the manufacturer.  http://www.grandshelters.com/

-17 on the the thermometer this morning, I'm sure the wind chill must be in the twenty something below range.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »
It was 7 on the patio this morning when I got up around 5:30 to let Mason out. He didn't dawdle. Just laid down some ice cubes on the tree in the back yard and made a beeline for the door and back to my nice, warm, bed.  :laugh:

Friends of mine are in Iowa. It was -28 there last night.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »
bottomed out at 4.5 here last nite