Author Topic: Windoze software question  (Read 1685 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Windoze software question
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
I am reluctantly taking a plunge into playing with an actual video camcorder, rather than the rudimentary video mode built into my digital camera. Turns out that JVC (and some other camcorder companies) use an .MTS file format, which is not compatible with Windows Movie Maker or with a number of other pieces of software. There are freeware video file converters out there but, if possible, I would prefer to avoid downloading and installing half a dozen clunky programs to find one that's easy to use, works, and doesn't screw up my computer.

Do any of you compooter gurus have a recommendation for a free, easy-to-use converter that will run under both Windows XP and Windows 7?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Windoze software question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »
Some mfg include software/app with their equipment that will do the conversion.  They don't give you the option of selecting an opional file save format?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »
I'd look at ffmpeg.  I know there's a Windows front end for it, somewhere.

----edit to add----

MTS is "MPEG transport stream" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream, which Wikipedia says ffmpeg supports.

Windows binaries here.

Winffmpeg http://winff.org/html_new/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:29:40 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
Some mfg include software/app with their equipment that will do the conversion.  They don't give you the option of selecting an opional file save format?

Brad

Nope. There was no software CD with the camcorder. There is supposed to be software included that allows for direct upload to Youtube, but it must be either in firmware or on the included flashcard -- which can't be read by my card reader. On-line reviews of the software all agree that (a) it's useless, and (b) it doesn't convert to any useful format. It just does some VERY basic editing.

Reading the JVC web site itself, it very much appears they are only aware of Apple computers and don't recognize that there's anything else out there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:13:05 PM by Hawkmoon »

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
VLC should be able to handle it.  Free, open source, and there's a Win32 version.  That's often my go to for things like this, but I've never tried MTS.

Something a bit more straight forward (VLC is a monster that does everything) might be Windows Media Essentials.  They have a package that'll do stuff like this.  Why Movie Maker doesn't have that built in I don't know.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »
Grrrrr.

Found one that looked promising, and was supposed to be freeware. Turns out, the download was free, but if you want to actually USE the software you have to pay.

Another one looked promising, but the install routine insists on installing a Yahoo browser bar and making Yahoo the default search engine. That's a deal breaker right there -- I don't install software that wants to tell me how to use MY computer.

Still looking.

I did find the JVC software. It is built into the camera and has to be installed onto a computer using the USB umbilical cord. It is now installed, and it is fully as useless as the reviews suggested it would be. No conversions available to any alternate formats. It allows cropping, and copying video clips onto a computer in the native .MTS format. So I need a converter.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:04:26 AM »
Do you want to convert it or just play it?  Wikipedia says VLC will play it.

https://videolan.org/vlc/

Like GiagBuist said, VLC is like the Swiss Army knife of media players.  Works on pretty much everything.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 02:10:33 AM »
Do you want to convert it or just play it?  Wikipedia says VLC will play it.

I want to convert the files so I can edit them in Windows Movie maker.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 09:00:46 AM »
VLC should be able to convert them just fine.

Media -> Convert/Save -> Add button -> Convert / Save button at the bottom

Enter the output filename in the resulting box and pick the format you want at the bottom (You might have to try different ones to see which one works best, both in actually working with Movie Maker AND quality-wise. )

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
VLC should be able to convert them just fine.

Media -> Convert/Save -> Add button -> Convert / Save button at the bottom

Enter the output filename in the resulting box and pick the format you want at the bottom (You might have to try different ones to see which one works best, both in actually working with Movie Maker AND quality-wise. )

I followed Phantom Warrior's link above and read the specs. VLC supports .WMV as an input format, but does not support .MTS as an input format. And the web site doesn't tell me what formats are supported as output formats. I need to go from .MTS to .WMV.

I'm disgusted. I may have to buy a shareware program, and hope it does what it claims. There was a time when I was usually optimistic about shareware programs, but those days are long gone. These days I am generally highly skeptical about shareware.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
I followed Phantom Warrior's link above and read the specs. VLC supports .WMV as an input format, but does not support .MTS as an input format. And the web site doesn't tell me what formats are supported as output formats. I need to go from .MTS to .WMV.

I'm disgusted. I may have to buy a shareware program, and hope it does what it claims. There was a time when I was usually optimistic about shareware programs, but those days are long gone. These days I am generally highly skeptical about shareware.

VLC does support it but not well (I did a quick google,)

However, you might try this: http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
However, you might try this: http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

Looked interesting, but after downloading it I found it supports .WMV as input, but not as output.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
I thought movie maker could read AVIs?
Convert from MTS to AVI.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
I thought movie maker could read AVIs?
Convert from MTS to AVI.

Dunno.

I'm not a geek -- I know just enough to get myself in trouble if I try anything that's not crystal clear and well-proven.

Looks like you are correct:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308464

Supported formats for importing content

Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
    Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2
    Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
    Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
    Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .gif
    MP3 format audio: .mp3

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
I finally found one that works. It's a bit clunky and appears to be a subset of a larger, shareware program with a different name. This one doesn't convert into "plain vanilla" .WMV format, but it offers .WMV optimized for several platforms. I picked one, converted a sample video from the camcorder, and it opened in Movie Maker. So I guess I have a solution.

The program I found is cleverly named "Free MTS Converter." Imagine that.