Author Topic: Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman  (Read 610 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »
This is a documentary produced by Adam Carolla earlier this year about Paul Newman's racing career.  It's quite interesting even if you're not a racing fan.  PN, without the arrogance you'd expect from an actor, started out at the bottom and worked his way up.  It includes interviews with racers, actors, and other racing luminaries.

It's free on Amazon if you have Prime. 

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
It didn't take long for him to make his way up -- he had tremendous natural talent.

Newman lived in Fairfield County, CT, a.k.a. "The Gold Coast." There was a Datsun dealer named Bob Sharpe (which was also the name of his dealership), also in Fairfield County. Bob Sharpe Racing use Limerock Racetrack in north western CT for practice, as well as racing SCCA and professional events at that track. Newman went to Bob Sharpe and bought a race car, and asked Sharpe to teach him how to drive.

HAH! In short order, Newman was beating Sharpe. IIRC, it wasn't long before Sharpe gave up driving and made Newman the team driver. He was THAT good. HE didn't race as "Paul Newman." Paul Newman was a movie star. He raced as "PJ Newman," and he tried very hard to keep the racing completely separate from the Hollywood hype. In the pits and on the track, he wasn't a movie star, he was just one of the guys.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
From what little I've read of Newman, "just one of the guys" was pretty much how he always was.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »
Funny you should mention this as I just stumbled across it tonight.  He did have some serious racing talent.  Newman seems to have been a race car driver at heart.  Acting was just something he did on the side.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:06:57 PM »
Newman was a real class act on the track as well as on the screen, along with Jim Garner and Steve McQueen. They were real man's men! All great actors as well as great race drivers!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G