Author Topic: Oregon appellate court strikes down 2nd Amendment sanctuary county  (Read 380 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/2nd-amendment-sanctuary-measure-overturned-in-oregon/

I am not surprised it was overturned on the basis of the state having preemption of firearms laws in the state.  Washington also has preemption and I am grateful for it since given the chance, King County/Seattle would have much stricter gun laws than the rest of the state.  Our appellate court a year or two ago struck down on the basis of state preemption a recent law in Edmonds requiring stricter gun storage requirements in the city.

I wish Washington also had preemption of knife laws since in my daily travels, I am routinely violating local knife laws having to do with blade length. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Oregon appellate court strikes down 2nd Amendment sanctuary county
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 07:53:04 AM »
Apparently the judge called the Sheriffs promoting it racist.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon-judge-rules-against-local-second-amendment-sanctuary-laws-calling-sheriffs-allow-them-racist

I'm not sure how I feel about the ruling. The state preemption problem is absolutely food for thought, and I don't like following a bajillion different local laws. I'm assuming that Oregon will be prohibiting all sanctuary cities, not just 2nd Amendment sanctuaries.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 08:52:12 AM »
On the one hand, no one wants to be accused of imaginary white racism. On the other, it's become the sincerest compliment vice pays to virtue, these days. It's a conundrum.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 01:13:49 PM »
Good luck with state pre-emption of your gun laws.  Here in Colorado the Ruralites bitched about the patchwork of firearms laws,.where you could suddenly be a felon when you crossed the street. Finally, State pre-emption was affirmed by law.

Yay!

Then the Urbanites bitched about how they had the right to enforce their own opinions of gun rights and local restrictions of rights were re-established under our blue, blue governor's signature.

I am bemused by the similarity to the conflict over State's rights in the recent unpleasantness of 1860 to 1865.

Right now, I'm concerned about the multi million dollar grant from the Justice Department to Colorado to enhance the enforcement of gun laws --as I understand it.  Gotta research that one a little better, but I betcha it ain't gonna be for the "health, benefit, and welfare" of the gun owners of Colorado.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 01:51:57 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 04:06:07 PM »
Apparently the judge called the Sheriffs promoting it racist.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon-judge-rules-against-local-second-amendment-sanctuary-laws-calling-sheriffs-allow-them-racist

I'm not sure how I feel about the ruling. The state preemption problem is absolutely food for thought, and I don't like following a bajillion different local laws. I'm assuming that Oregon will be prohibiting all sanctuary cities, not just 2nd Amendment sanctuaries.

They need to find a black dude willing to violate and have the sheriff refuse to arrest him.  Then see how they defend calling the sheriff racist.