Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 377 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Here we go again
« on: April 09, 2023, 12:09:49 PM »
Another innocent homeowner killed because the police went to the wrong address.

https://www.newser.com/story/333742/police-at-wrong-front-door-fatally-shoot-homeowner.html

The police chief is "heartbroken." The three officers are on administrative leave (paid, I'm sure). The woman is now without her husband.

Maybe police departments should start requiring literacy tests for officers. "5" doesn't look like "8," and in most places the odd numbers and the even numbers are on opposite sides of the street. I haven't supported the defund the police movement, but I absolutely think something has to be done about all the police killings of innocent people because the police went to the wrong address -- or they went to the right address, but didn't bother to figure out that the person they were looking for had moved out months prior.

I had a somewhat similar incident a number of years ago but, thankfully, it didn't put me in danger. I was working in my home office one night when the phone rang. I answered, and a voice on the other end said (in "command voice" mode) "This is dispatcher ___ from the ___ Police Department. You need to secure your dogs and let the officers into your house NOW!"

Well, that was interesting, because I didn't own any dogs at the time, and a peek out the window didn't reveal any police cars. So I told the dispatcher that I didn't have any dogs and there were no police cars outside my house. He started in with the command voice crap again. Finally I asked him who he thought he was talking to.

"William [___]" was the answer.

Well, fine. William [___] and his wife lived 8/10 of a mile down the road. We shared the same last name, but were not related. I finally got the idiot dispatcher to shut up long enough to point out that he had called Harry [___], not William, and that I live at #172, not #258.

The real surprise is that the police don't kill more people by accident.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:14 AM »
. . . I had a somewhat similar incident a number of years ago but, thankfully, it didn't put me in danger. I was working in my home office one night when the phone rang. I answered, and a voice on the other end said (in "command voice" mode) "This is dispatcher ___ from the ___ Police Department. You need to secure your dogs and let the officers into your house NOW!"

Well, that was interesting, because I didn't own any dogs at the time, and a peek out the window didn't reveal any police cars . . .
At that point I probably would have figured it was a crank call and hung up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 09:15:05 AM »
At that point I probably would have figured it was a crank call and hung up.

The couple had a long and public history of domestic abuse calls. I'm quite certain the incident was genuine, but the fact the cops called me instead of the people involved was unsettling.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 11:29:02 AM »
"This is dispatcher ___ from the ___ Police Department. You need to secure your dogs and let the officers into your house NOW!"

Well, that was interesting, because I didn't own any dogs at the time, and a peek out the window didn't reveal any police cars . . .

SCREW YOU! You'll never take me alive you dirty pigs!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams