Author Topic: Great. My wife to be intentionally ticks people off while driving.  (Read 11151 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
So, coming home tonight I'm riding shotgun and I notice a biker pull up to us.  He's in the right lane, we're in the left, and I've got a nice gloved middle finger about a foot from my window.

"Honey, I think this guy wants you to get out of his way."

"Yeah.  I know. I think he honked at me a while back but it was a little motorcycle honk.  Screw him."

I tried explaining WHY pissing people off is a Bad Idea but it didn't sink in.  She's an indignant as ever that if she wants to create a rolling road block then everybody else can just piss up a rope.

Quite frustrating.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Great. My wife to be intentionally ticks people off while driving.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »
There's a bad sign.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »
You're marrying my mother ??  I think my father might become a tad upset....

My mom is a left foot braker.....as in her brake lights are always on.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
You need to start forwarding your wife all the articles on people getting killed over road rage.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
Gig,
Since I think you are younger than me, and we both live in W. Michigan, I think your wife was taught how to drive by mine.  grin

The two lane road around our lake is curvy and hilly for 6 miles.  No passing.  She drives with the center line in the middle of her car.  That way no one can pass her on the hills and curves, like they always try and do.  She drives the speed limit, 35 mph and defies the moonbats.  I told her she needs to get her CCW permit so she can survive coming home from the grocery store.  grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
Might as well send her to New Mexico. Every other rolling roadblocker is already here.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »
can she fight?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
You need to start forwarding your wife all the articles on people getting killed over road rage.
She's aware of that... but it's not HER problem if they flip out or get violent. There's a bit of a logical disconnect there.

Yeah, she's a Democrat.  Even volunteered to work on McCain's 2000 campaign staff.

We've talked about this before.  She was riding in the left lane, doing the speed limit, for mile after mile on the expressway one day not more than 3-4 car lengths away from a car in the right lane.  I told her she should move over.  Nope! No way! I tried explaining that people like her add 10 minutes to my commute (110 miles a day when I actually go to the office) for such antics.  Wouldn't move.  Maybe 10 miles later she finally got over.

We have two totally different views on driving courtesy.  I have been honked at twice in the past year.  I handle them entirely different.

The first was leaving the parking lot of the local Meijer.  We were chatting so I wasn't as attentive as I usually am.   We were in the parking lot making a left turn onto the road behind two other cars.  Some idiot pulled up behind me in the left turn lane and decided he needed to go right.  He honked at me because he didn't have enough room to get out from behind me and I didn't move ahead when I noticed him turn his blinker on.  Took me a while to figure out why he honked because the idiot had a good quarter mile of parking lot behind him that he could have backed up into to get off my bumper.  There was no reason for anybody to move on his behalf.  I moved forward 6 inches to the thanks of "F---ing a-hole!!" as he pulled around me.  Damned college kids.

The second was last week.  I make a right on red into a two lane divided highway and take the far lane.  Only one lane turns into this road so I can pick where I go and I'm making a "Michigan Left" where you do the right-turn, left-turn dance across a divided highway.  When I merge into the turn lane somebody honks at me. The guy behind me also made a right on red, or perhaps the light went green when I pulled through, and he made a beeline for that left turn lane and managed to get there right about the same time I did.  I had cut him off.  Entirely my fault, but it's not common for somebody to drive that aggressively.  Unless it went green the instant I hit the accelerator he broke some kind of traffic law to get into that position.  I got the frick out of his way and locked the door when I saw we'd be sitting a red light together.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
 She was riding in the left lane, doing the speed limit, for mile after mile on the expressway one day not more than 3-4 car lengths away from a car in the right lane.  I told her she should move over.  Nope! No way! I tried explaining that people like her add 10 minutes to my commute (110 miles a day when I actually go to the office) for such antics.  Wouldn't move.  Maybe 10 miles later she finally got over.

I have pulled in front of such people and slooooooooooowed down to the point that move over into the right hand lane to pass me.  I then rapidly accelerate to the unheard cheers of the people that were stuck behind the a-hole.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
The two lane road around our lake is curvy and hilly for 6 miles.  No passing.  She drives with the center line in the middle of her car.  That way no one can pass her on the hills and curves, like they always try and do.  She drives the speed limit, 35 mph and defies the moonbats.  I told her she needs to get her CCW permit so she can survive coming home from the grocery store.  grin
That would drive me friggen nuts.

A little courtesy goes a long ways when you're trying to prevent a person with bad tendencies in their head from becoming a person with bad tendencies that's acting them out.  Get out of their way and laugh at them when they're in the ditch.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
A girl after my own heart.  Double points for annoying a biker. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
A girl after my own heart.  Double points for annoying a biker. 
Further proof that she's doing something wrong. Cheesy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
Are you sure you want to marry her? Radically different belief systems tend to lead to those pesky irreconciliable differences one does hear so much about.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »
Are you sure you want to marry her? Radically different belief systems tend to lead to those pesky irreconciliable differences one does hear so much about.
Nah, we're OK there.  I'm radically different from pretty much everybody when it comes to my beliefs.  We both know that.  She actually read through, or skimmed,  everything in my  blog before we officially dated.  That was in 2006, and the blog went back to 2003.  There was some bat nutty stuff in there and she was still fine.

She's gradually coming over to my line of thinking, but not so much that it scares me.  If she tried walking lock-step with me THEN I'd be concerned that she's just playing along.

I'd say I've also softened up on a few areas and moved a bit toward her's too, here and there.

We're both going into this knowing that marriage is hard at times.  My parents hit rough spots and so did hers, but they made it through them.  We've both seen situations where it would have been much easier for both parties to just walk away, but they didn't, and they're happier because of it.

I'm just whining here tonight because she drives like fistful.  We'll either adapt or endure.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
I'm just whining here tonight because she drives like fistful.  We'll either adapt or endure.

Or she'll be buying me a new car after she rear-ends me........ laugh

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »

She doesn't tailgate.  She knows that's actually illegal and unsafe. She just rides right off your bumper, or whatever distance suits her, one lane over, thus creating a rolling roadblock.

And LIKES it.  That's what bugs me.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:20:53 PM »
Double points for annoying a biker.

As one of several bikers on this forum, all I have to say is, "Nice, Fistful, really nice..."   shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
Y'all KNEW I was gonna second gewehr on this, right?

I REALLY hope she does that to me someday, while I'm enroute to a call-out. Would make my day to point out to her she put a child at risk...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
When that sort of thing happened in S. Florida, it wasn't all that unusual for the next thing to be a loud noise and the driver's back window being not there.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 02:52:38 AM »

We've talked about this before.  She was riding in the left lane, doing the speed limit, for mile after mile on the expressway one day not more than 3-4 car lengths away from a car in the right lane.  I told her she should move over.  Nope! No way! I tried explaining that people like her add 10 minutes to my commute (110 miles a day when I actually go to the office) for such antics.  Wouldn't move.  Maybe 10 miles later she finally got over.

I have seen some signs on the interstates around here that have been popping up in the last year to remind drivers that this is not ok:

"Keep Right, Except to Pass...It's the Law"

I don't know anyone that has been ticketed, though.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »

She doesn't tailgate.  She knows that's actually illegal and unsafe.

Print this off and tell her that her rolling roadblock is also illegal.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(y1xlxcylzofmgo3yftkv10yf))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-634
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:33 AM »
She sounds like the type of person who provokes road rage.

If she keeps this up, one day she WILL encounter someone who's not content to merely give her the one-finger salute.

The outcome will not be good.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04:34 AM »
Some drivers like to do cute things to bicyclists, too.  I like to point out that attempted vehicular homicide is a deadly force felony in Washington, and I generally have a .357 revolver in my handlebar bag when I am riding.   

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 04:37:24 AM »
The only time I get the go piss up a rope attitude is when the idiot behind me wants me to do something I judge unsafe...I've had plenty of idiots honk at me in an effort for me to get out of their way at a traffic light or whatever (especially turning left) if they judge that I should cut off an oncoming car in an effort to make the turn.

Other than that, I'm content to get over or out of the way, because I don't want a confrontation.

I also cannot stand "courtesy drivers". They need to be dragged out and shot. If you don't know, a "courtesy driver" does genius stunts like waving people out into traffic. Let's say on a two lane road (two lanes on each side of the median), and they are in the rightmost lane, they will actually stop to let someone into traffic(creating a traffic backup) , and vigorously wave them on, straight into the left lane, where they will be struck by a car. I've always fantasized about choking a courtesy driver to death.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 04:51:19 AM »
It is not about avoiding road rage or any of that, it is just a matter of treating people as you would have them treat you.  I don't like people blocking the open lane, so I try to get out of the way if I am the one going slower.  Simple courtesy.  Some really fast drivers still get upset since they pull up behind me before I realize they are there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge