Author Topic: Tax Free Gun Purchases in SC  (Read 2140 times)

Waitone

• friend
Tax Free Gun Purchases in SC
« on: November 25, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
Apart from the normal bleetings of a NY sheep, pretty good article in that is shows SC is moving along nicely in implementing gun rights.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/24/2009-11-24_dixie_dopes_shoot_holes_in_gun_battle.html
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Tax Free Gun Purchases in SC
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:58:31 PM »
Notice the FFLs are referred to as "firearms traffickers." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
The number of gun sales is expected to grow ever higher thanks to Pitts, who also sponsored a bill that reduced the age for possessing a handgun in South Carolina from 21 to 18.

"If my daughter were driving, as a 19- or 20-year-old, to Charleston," Pitts said the other day, "I could put my handgun in the glove compartment of my car and she could drive to Charleston without being a felon."

He says that like it's a bad thing. ???
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:29:25 PM »
I don't think he is - he's the guy who sponsored the bill.

But!

I have a question.

Economists, help me here.

Suppose a state repeals the tax on firearms on one day. How does this help? I mean, wouldn't it just shift people's consumption of firearms, from whenever they were going to purchase a gun to the one day the tax is off, rather than increase consumption overall?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
Some of those response comments...   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:01:02 PM »
Apart from the normal bleetings of a NY sheep, pretty good article in that is shows SC is moving along nicely in implementing gun rights.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/24/2009-11-24_dixie_dopes_shoot_holes_in_gun_battle.html

You can actually taste the venom in the "journalist's" writing.  I know reporters are always biased and dishonest, but even by the admittedly poor standards of journalism, this is exceptionally biased and dishonest.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
The link characterizes them as "Dixie Dopes"... it doesn't look like they're even trying to hide the bias.
Andy

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
The link characterizes them as "Dixie Dopes"... it doesn't look like they're even trying to hide the bias.

Why would they?  They truly don't see anything WRONG in their bias.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »

Suppose a state repeals the tax on firearms on one day. How does this help? I mean, wouldn't it just shift people's consumption of firearms, from whenever they were going to purchase a gun to the one day the tax is off, rather than increase consumption overall?
It's not an economics thing, it's a psychology thing. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
I have a question.

First part of your question catches some of the effect. Many who had already planned to purchase a firearm will take advantage of this day to purchase.

HOWEVER, this is effectively the same thing as a sale at any other store. Prices are lowered, thus marginal buyers at a higher price now will purchase.

Overall, it should lead to an increase in guns purchased like a price decrease of any other good. How much of an increase is uncertain (elasticities being unknown), but it's basic economics: decrease price = increased quantity demanded.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »

Repealing the sales tax on firearms for one day does not repeal the sales tax on accessories, cleaning supplies, ammo, range fees, et al.  I think the intent is to send a message, not make more tax revenue but I don't think SC will be crippled by a one day pass on firearm sales tax.  Also, I'm fairly sure you have to pay the fed FAET anyways.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »
Yep, no bias here.... Check out their poll:

The gun battle
What's the best way for New York City to reduce gun violence?

Stricter gun laws.
 More cops on the streets.
 Both of the above.
 Not sure. But emulating South Carolina wouldn't be a good start.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.