Author Topic: Tax Hikes and the 2011 Economic Collapse  (Read 2289 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Tax Hikes and the 2011 Economic Collapse
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
I've been saying this for some time.

Arthur Laffer says it better and uses historic examples for illustration. I don't have a lot of hope for 2011.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704113504575264513748386610.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

By ARTHUR LAFFER
People can change the volume, the location and the composition of their income, and they can do so in response to changes in government policies.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the nine states without an income tax are growing far faster and attracting more people than are the nine states with the highest income tax rates. People and businesses change the location of income based on incentives.

Likewise, who is gobsmacked when they are told that the two wealthiest Americans—Bill Gates and Warren Buffett—hold the bulk of their wealth in the nontaxed form of unrealized capital gains? The composition of wealth also responds to incentives. And it's also simple enough for most people to understand that if the government taxes people who work and pays people not to work, fewer people will work. Incentives matter.

MoreGay Couples Get Equal Tax Treatment IRS Nears Action on Church Pensions Complete Coverage: WSJ.com/Taxes .
People can also change the timing of when they earn and receive their income in response to government policies. According to a 2004 U.S. Treasury report, "high income taxpayers accelerated the receipt of wages and year-end bonuses from 1993 to 1992—over $15 billion—in order to avoid the effects of the anticipated increase in the top rate from 31% to 39.6%. At the end of 1993, taxpayers shifted wages and bonuses yet again to avoid the increase in Medicare taxes that went into effect beginning 1994."

Just remember what happened to auto sales when the cash for clunkers program ended. Or how about new housing sales when the $8,000 tax credit ended? It isn't rocket surgery, as the Ivy League professor said.

On or about Jan. 1, 2011, federal, state and local tax rates are scheduled to rise quite sharply. President George W. Bush's tax cuts expire on that date, meaning that the highest federal personal income tax rate will go 39.6% from 35%, the highest federal dividend tax rate pops up to 39.6% from 15%, the capital gains tax rate to 20% from 15%, and the estate tax rate to 55% from zero. Lots and lots of other changes will also occur as a result of the sunset provision in the Bush tax cuts.

Tax rates have been and will be raised on income earned from off-shore investments. Payroll taxes are already scheduled to rise in 2013 and the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) will be digging deeper and deeper into middle-income taxpayers. And there's always the celebrated tax increase on Cadillac health care plans. State and local tax rates are also going up in 2011 as they did in 2010. Tax rate increases next year are everywhere.

.Now, if people know tax rates will be higher next year than they are this year, what will those people do this year? They will shift production and income out of next year into this year to the extent possible. As a result, income this year has already been inflated above where it otherwise should be and next year, 2011, income will be lower than it otherwise should be.

Also, the prospect of rising prices, higher interest rates and more regulations next year will further entice demand and supply to be shifted from 2011 into 2010. In my view, this shift of income and demand is a major reason that the economy in 2010 has appeared as strong as it has. When we pass the tax boundary of Jan. 1, 2011, my best guess is that the train goes off the tracks and we get our worst nightmare of a severe "double dip" recession.

In 1981, Ronald Reagan—with bipartisan support—began the first phase in a series of tax cuts passed under the Economic Recovery Tax Act (ERTA), whereby the bulk of the tax cuts didn't take effect until Jan. 1, 1983. Reagan's delayed tax cuts were the mirror image of President Barack Obama's delayed tax rate increases. For 1981 and 1982 people deferred so much economic activity that real GDP was basically flat (i.e., no growth), and the unemployment rate rose to well over 10%.

But at the tax boundary of Jan. 1, 1983 the economy took off like a rocket, with average real growth reaching 7.5% in 1983 and 5.5% in 1984. It has always amazed me how tax cuts don't work until they take effect. Mr. Obama's experience with deferred tax rate increases will be the reverse. The economy will collapse in 2011.

Consider corporate profits as a share of GDP. Today, corporate profits as a share of GDP are way too high given the state of the U.S. economy. These high profits reflect the shift in income into 2010 from 2011. These profits will tumble in 2011, preceded most likely by the stock market.

In 2010, without any prepayment penalties, people can cash in their Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs), Keough deferred income accounts and 401(k) deferred income accounts. After paying their taxes, these deferred income accounts can be rolled into Roth IRAs that provide after-tax income to their owners into the future. Given what's going to happen to tax rates, this conversion seems like a no-brainer.

The result will be a crash in tax receipts once the surge is past. If you thought deficits and unemployment have been bad lately, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Mr. Laffer is the chairman of Laffer Associates and co-author of "Return to Prosperity: How America Can Regain Its Economic Superpower Status" (Threshold, 2010).

Click the link for the graph as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
Re: Tax Hikes and the 2011 Economic Collapse
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »
Gonna be a long, bumpy ride to 2012...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Gonna be a long, bumpy ride to 2012...

down a cliff.   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Hows your SHTF bug out bag looking these days? ;)

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »
I just love it when Pravda fingers the problems in our economy.
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article20020.html
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:18 PM »

I plan on bugging in.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:59 AM »
...estate tax rate to 55% from zero...

....what.... the... wait, what.... wait, I....

=|

I don't know what to say to that one. I just... wow. We're still in the United States of America, right?  [barf]
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:18:15 AM »

Nope.  Where ya gonna run to?

This is the time that you dig in for the long haul, watch the grasshoppers die so us ants can rule.

Starting a garden (not in response to this article, but in response to Obama-ism in general anyways).  Laying the beds this summer and planting this fall.  I can grow in AZ through the winter just fine.  I have about 2 months worth of canned food and edible grains that I routinely eat... no "buckets of beans or wheat" sitting around in my nucular silo or anything that I don't know how to cook or don't routinely eat... but I hope to push that out to about 6 months by the end of the year.

Not that I expect doomsday or anything... but having some nice reserves to buffer increased food costs due to Obama-driven stupidity will be nice.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:39:14 AM »

....what.... the... wait, what.... wait, I....

=|

I don't know what to say to that one. I just... wow. We're still in the United States of America, right?  [barf]

Mmm, death tax, yum. You didn't really intend to leave the things you worked your entire life for to your next of kin did you? The Government needs that in order to fund the Entitlement State, and such enlightened patricians such as they certainly knows better than a simple plebe like you.

Edit: Bloody typos.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:40:53 PM by kgbsquirrel »

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 04:21:28 AM »
Geez, I might actually be better off in Afghanistan  =|  At least I know I'll be getting paid.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »
If you have any elderly rich relatives encourage them to kick off now.  I just makes good financial sense!   :mad:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 01:50:10 PM »
If you have any elderly rich relatives encourage them to kick off now.  I just makes good financial sense!   :mad:

Yep, the Bush Tax cuts, including the Estate Tax exemption ends 31 December 2010.....I predict quite a few rich old folks will die in late December.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
Gold, guns, gardens.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
Or begin converting paper (bank accounts, CDs, stocks) into hard - and portable! - assets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
Or begin converting paper (bank accounts, CDs, stocks) into hard - and portable! - assets.

Shiny or loud portable assets. :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!