Author Topic: Tax on automobiles to fund buggywhips  (Read 2010 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Tax on automobiles to fund buggywhips
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/03/07/berkeley-councilman-proposes-email-tax-to-fund-postal-service/

Well, let's just keep yet another bloated, out-dated institution alive just so it can suck blood from a different vibrant sector of the economy. ;/

WTF is up with these people?  It's a GOOD THING that we are losing demand for a government service.  The dominance of email and internet communication means the post office (as a government service) is no longer needed.  So those public servants can go on to other careers.  Tax roles go down.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Tax on automobiles to fund buggywhips
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
USPS operations are not taxpayer supported. The only taxpayer supported postal operations are APO stuff overseas for election mail, and free postage for the blind

Doom on you for not knowing that, and double doom on the legislator who apparently doesn't know that either

It wouldn't be legal to divert tax dollars to the USPS
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Doom on you for not knowing that, and double doom on the legislator who apparently doesn't know that either

This dude is saying apply a fed tax on something completely unrelated, to pay for post office.

And Post Office deficits are squarely on the backs of taxpayers as unfunded liabilities that we must pay if they default, or if they receive a bail-out (which has been attempted the last several years).

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/08/it-all-your-money-us-postal-service-bailout/

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
Section 8 of the Constitution says Congress has the power "To establish Post Offices and post Roads".  I'm assuming that doesn't mean they are required to have them if there is no demand, but eventually I suspect the courts will decide that.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
This dude is saying apply a fed tax on something completely unrelated, to pay for post office.

And Post Office deficits are squarely on the backs of taxpayers as unfunded liabilities that we must pay if they default, or if they receive a bail-out (which has been attempted the last several years).

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/08/it-all-your-money-us-postal-service-bailout/

It would not be legal to DO so anymore

Bailouts would be one thing, but as of now, a tax to support the USPS operating costs would not be legal.

The only tax permitted under the reorg act in the 70s was stamps ... And since the early 80s, stamps have been a "postal product"

The bill to save the USPS from defaulting on their payment to the retiree healthcare was not for government funds, it was for permission to access overpayments they made from previous years
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
An furthermore , who the hell cares what some granola munching butthead councilman says?

Do yourself a favor. Start getting outrage at things that matter

Part of the reason out country is doomed is that there are legions of folks who spend time getting bent out of shape about inconsequential horse pucky when they could be better expending their efforts.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
It would not be legal to DO so anymore

Bailouts would be one thing, but as of now, a tax to support the USPS operating costs would not be legal.

The only tax permitted under the reorg act in the 70s was stamps ... And since the early 80s, stamps have been a "postal product"

Fitz, I like you, but I nominate this as possibly the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on APS.

"It's illegal for the government to tax."

If it's not Constitutionally prohibited, and merely a component of USC, Congress and POTUS can do whatever the hell they want.  They make law every day.  They BREAK law every day.

If they need to change a law while writing a law, they do it with no compunction whatsoever.  They have tomes of multi-thousand page revisions of USC just waiting to be put on the floor of the House or Senate as bills.  Congressional staffers must have produced millions of pages of bill proposals per year prior to the digitization of everything.

The 1970 postal reorganization act is USC.

Text:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/49061423/Postal-Reorganization-Act-1970

They can change it any damned time they want.  Illegal, hell. ;/
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
Never mind
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »
Never mind #2
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Tax on automobiles to fund buggywhips
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
Not a fan of the usps. Less a fan of their unions. But they have a point re the congress and the way they have to fund their pensions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »

I like you . . .

. . . (movie line) . . .

. . . be very careful.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
Berkeley city council members say all kinds of stupid stuff on a daily basis. They're so far gone they can't even reliably influence CA's politics, let alone stuff on a national level.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
Come on AZ, Fitz was factually correct.  Just because .gov chooses to ignore the Constitution doesn't make it "dumb" to call them on it.

And I've surely said dumber things around here.  I'm a lawyer after all.  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
Fitz, I like you, but I nominate this as possibly the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on APS.

AZ?  Chill, man. Fitz is correct. Not to say things might not change in the future, but as it stands, it is correct now. While probably not the most insulting thing I've seen on APS, you could be more tactful.

Fitz, don't let one person bait you into spiking your blood pressure. Especially when you are correct.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
AZ?  Chill, man. Fitz is correct. Not to say things might not change in the future, but as it stands, it is correct now. While probably not the most insulting thing I've seen on APS, you could be more tactful.

Fitz, don't let one person bait you into spiking your blood pressure. Especially when you are correct.

That's why I edited my post. I'm really not interested in getting mad on the interwebz.

AZ, I suggest you direct your outrage towards things that are being proposed by folks who can actually feasibly make it happen. Your posts of late are largely raging against either A.) Things that the person involved can't make happen (such as this), or B.) Things that are factually wrong (The 2700 MRAPs that are actually going to the marines)

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
Section 8 of the Constitution says Congress has the power "To establish Post Offices and post Roads".  I'm assuming that doesn't mean they are required to have them if there is no demand, but eventually I suspect the courts will decide that.

Also does not require or even imply a monopoly on that service.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton