Author Topic: Tamara sums up my thoughts on democracy  (Read 855 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Tamara sums up my thoughts on democracy
« on: March 07, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
Originally put up on pistol-forum, then reposted on her blog.

Quote from: Tamara
The relentless pressure of centuries of party politics in the US has finally resulted in breeding a highly specialized strain of political animals.

Like a swaybacked dysplasiac GSD or a shivering teacup Chihuahua, they are perfectly adapted for winning a blue ribbon on election day and very little else.

We've reached the point De Tocqueville predicted where enough people have realized they can vote for the .gov to take money from other people and give it to them that the only way to get elected is to promise to steal things from one group and give it to another. Who the groups are and how the money is spent varies, but it never deviates from the basic idea.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Tamara sums up my thoughts on democracy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
We've reached the point De Tocqueville predicted where enough people have realized they can vote for the .gov to take money from other people and give it to them that the only way to get elected is to promise to steal things from one group and give it to another. Who the groups are and how the money is spent varies, but it never deviates from the basic idea.

de Tocqueville was absolutely prescient. He had a piercing intellect and analysis that was on par with the founders. They and he predicted where we are today, and the reasons for it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
De Tocqueville never actually said that (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville#Misattributed). The only written attribution for it was actually from 1950, and attributed it to Alexander Tytler, but almost two centuries after he supposedly said it and it's unlikely he said it either (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fraser_Tytler#Misquotation).

That aside, the concept in the quote holds truths regardless of who said it or made it up.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:50:23 PM by Marnoot »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
Didn't De Tocqueville  say something about inaccurate quotes on the internet?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
Nah, that was Lincoln: