Author Topic: Thaddeus McCotter to Enter GOP Race  (Read 1526 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Thaddeus McCotter to Enter GOP Race
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
I've only seen him on various TV shows and in interviews, but what I've seen, I sure like. He seems to have many of my ideal standards of being a "Republitarian". Certainly a long shot, but unless there's negative stuff I haven't seen, he's a good candidate.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/02/guitar-playing-congressman-to-enter-gop-presidential-field/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Thaddeus McCotter to Enter GOP Race
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »
This could be good. If he doesn't win the nomination, at least he's getting his name out there for the next go-round.

I'm kind of confused about this, though:
McCotter said he would push for a fundamental restructuring of government and for Wall Street banks that received federal bailout money to free up credit.

"We're not seeing credit flow down to entrepreneurs, innovators and workers that will grow the economy and shape it for the 21st century," he said. "To me that has to be a linchpin of any economic policy that goes forward."
link to article

Whenever I hear comments like this, since the 2008 downturn, they just sound like prescriptions for more of the same. I thought easy credit was one of the things that led to the current financial mess. What am I missing?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »
He will "push" with what?  Do they make sharp sticks that big? 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »
He voted for the GM bailout and card check.  Kinda understandable given that he's from Michigan, but still gives me a big reason to be skpetical of his fitness.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
Yeah, that's a bit of a negative for me too. I reckon more of his stances on issues will come to the forefront soon after he officially announces.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:51:17 PM »
That's great, but the job of an executive is completely different from that of a legislator. I'd prefer not to have a president getting on the job training. (Again.)

For that reason, I'd rather not support any legislator in the primary that has not had executive experience as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
IMHO, the new conservative litmus test should be not supporting any candidate who supported TARP, the big bailouts (Stimuli I and the son of Stimuli), or Obamacare.  Most of that money was urinated directly into the wind.
We can fiddle faddle over abortion, immigration, even gun control.  But the economic waste, fraud, and abuse has gone on long enough.  Without economic freedom, the other freedoms we claim to enjoy are the shitty punchline to a bad joke.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”