Author Topic: Dexter and sensationalism  (Read 5732 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Dexter and sensationalism
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 06:27:11 AM »
I don't recall seeing examples of him enjoying torture.

That's the 'cleaned up for TV' part.  In the books it gets a little more graphic, but even there it tends to do a fade out to later through the gruesome parts.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 06:37:31 AM »
Hey, a lot of sociopaths HAVE zero personality. They learn their personality by watching people, and acting in a mirror, etc...

There's nothing on the inside but a pragmatic "I want this, so I'm going to do this" being... The sociopaths who get caught are the ones who combine it with other freakiness. Some just keep going and going...

So are you pro or anti sociopath?

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 09:02:07 AM »

IRL I'd want dextor to be caught ASAP.  And promptly sent to solitary because types like that are dangerous no matter who you put them with.

TV wise, it's better than survivor, britney watch*, various other soaps.  It's at least got a relatively unique twist.

*Or whatever the heck that show is that causes me to turn the TV off.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
Hasn't America always had a taste for vigilantism? 
Yes, the US has a long and storied history of vigilantism.  Often done for legitimate reasons, but it normally runs out of control.  Not the same thing as this show.  I heard about this show, but haven't watched it.  I just find the idea a bit messed up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »
Hey, a lot of sociopaths HAVE zero personality. They learn their personality by watching people, and acting in a mirror, etc...

There's nothing on the inside but a pragmatic "I want this, so I'm going to do this" being... The sociopaths who get caught are the ones who combine it with other freakiness. Some just keep going and going...

I think the point isn't pro or anti sociopath, but the point that sociopaths are people also.   angel

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 01:48:15 AM »
I just reread some definitions of a sociopath, and Dexter doesn't seem to fit.
Is this because he's following his adopted father's "code" or is he something else?
If it is because of the code, wouldn't a sociopath be unable to adhere to one due to the nature of that disorder?

I think the point isn't pro or anti sociopath, but the point that sociopaths are people also.   angel
Yes, we...ahem...they are.  angel  laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 11:47:08 PM »
I finished watching season 2 and though the Dexter character continues to develop and wallow in his angst quite nicely, I was very disappointed in what they did with the rest of the characters.  angry
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 05:03:41 AM »
I finished watching season 2 and though the Dexter character continues to develop and wallow in his angst quite nicely, I was very disappointed in what they did with the rest of the characters.  angry

Having read the books, I think it'd be interesting to see if the show will DARE to make the kids like they are in the books.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 06:58:22 AM »
Anti-heroes are all over the place in our modern folklore.

You've got the Godfather movies, Star Wars (take your pick:  Darth Vader or Han Solo), Dexter, Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels, Many of Eastwood's characters from the spaghetti westerns, and more.

Shakespeare had anti-heroes.  Look at Romeo, closely.  What about him was truly heroic?  But he was ultimately a character for whom you developed sympathy.

Anti-heroes can be traced as far back (off the top of my head) to Beowolf  (boastful, prideful, selfish, lusting after another man's kingdom/wife and more).  I'm willing to bet there are Biblical anti-heroes somewhere in the old testament.

They make for great post-entertainment discussion.  Like we're having now.

They aren't a harbinger of impending societal doom. grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »

Anti-heroes can be traced as far back (off the top of my head) to Beowolf  (boastful, prideful, selfish, lusting after another man's kingdom/wife and more).  I'm willing to bet there are Biblical anti-heroes somewhere in the old testament.

Read about Sampson, Moses, or Jonah......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

King David, his sons Absolom and Soloman, and King Nebuchunezzar come to mind...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
David wouldn't make a good anti-hero.  Other than the one obvious episode, he was a conventional knight in shining armor.  Unless I'm forgetting something. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brett Bellmore

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2008, 03:49:58 AM »
Aw, man! And here I thought the Laboratory was back on the air.  sad

"If it is because of the code, wouldn't a sociopath be unable to adhere to one due to the nature of that disorder?"

No, sociopaths lack empathy for others, but most of them are quite capable of pragmatic self-restraint. That's why you don't often see members of Congress kick little old ladies into the street while the cameras are rolling. Most of them are sociopaths, but they're 'high functioning' sociopaths, meaning that they're not otherwise impaired.

The sociopaths who get caught and jailed or institutionalized are the 'low functioning' ones, who've got sufficient other problems that they can't restrain their impulses.

Of course, I understand that there's been a move in the psychiatric community to define high functioning sociopaths as sane, to avoid the embarrassment of admitting most people in politics are nutcases.