Author Topic: Iranian immigrants want Farsi-language Oklahoma driver's license testing  (Read 9244 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
If in the wrong place please move.

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The federal government is investigating whether the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety violated the civil rights of Iranian immigrants by refusing to provide them with driver's license tests in their native Farsi language.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched the investigation in March after a complaint filed on behalf of two Iranian nationals living in Bartlesville accused the state agency of unlawful discrimination based on their national origin, according to a letter from the NHTSA to Public Safety Commissioner Kevin Ward.

Public safety officials said Tuesday that offering state driver's license tests in Farsi could force the state to offer tests and other state documents in a host of other languages, creating new costs and administrative burdens. The written portion of Oklahoma's test is currently provided only in English and Spanish.

"The enormity of the situation is overwhelming," said Oklahoma Highway Patrol Capt. Chris West. Driver's license tests in multiple languages would create huge composition and printing costs and translators would have to be hired to grade the tests in each language, West said.

"It could be a huge financial burden. And very labor intensive," West said.

The complaint was filed on behalf of Fardha Sharifi and her husband, Alireza Sanghinmanesh, who immigrated to the United States with their young son, said Hassan Sharifi, Fardha Sharifi's cousin and a restaurant owner in Bartlesville.

He said the couple wanted to get Oklahoma driver's licenses last year but did not understand English well enough to take the Oklahoma test.

"They wanted to go to work. And I had to drive them around almost everywhere they went," said Hassan Sharifi, who immigrated to the U.S. 30 years ago. "It seemed like my life was interrupted."

He said he contacted state driver's license officials to see if the test could be provided in the couple's native language, Farsi.

"They didn't answer me," Hassan Sharifi said. "I feel bad. No one wants to take the responsibility."

Finally, the couple went to the neighboring state of Kansas, located less than 25 miles north of Bartlesville, where they each passed a Kansas exam that tested their driving skills using graphic symbols rather than language, Hassan Sharifi said.

"There was no translation needed," he said. Once they returned to Oklahoma, they exchanged their Kansas driver's licenses to Oklahoma licenses and are now both legally licensed to drive in the state, he said.

The formal complaint was filed with the government by Hassan Sharifi's son, Payam Sharifi, a senior in economics at the University of Oklahoma.

The chief legal counsel for the Department of Public Safety, Wellon Poe, said the agency plans to formally respond to the complaint later this month.

"I think we've acted correctly and properly," Poe said. He said the incident is the only time the state has ever been asked to provide its driver's license test in Farsi.

Poe said the complaint could be dismissed after the agency responds or the government could order state officials to take corrective action to comply with federal civil rights requirements.

If the state does not comply, it could be penalized by the withholding of federal transportation money.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080401_1__OKLAH23086

I just want to scream.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
How are they supposed to read the road signs?!

Like, oh, DO NOT ENTER, WRONG WAY...

wmenorr67

• friend
Created 149+ comments.

Trying to read them all now.

Quite funny actually.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Annoyed Man

Well, if they provide the test in Spanish, why not in all the other lenguas tambien?  Why should only non English speaking latinos get a break?  They can't read the road signs either.

mtnbkr

• friend
Not that I support this, but language barriers are one of the reasons signs have very specific shapes and colors. 

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
That's precisely why English should be the official language of the United States.

You want to drive in an English-speaking country? Learn English. Does Mexico give English driver's license tests to people who move down there? Would Iran give an English driver's license test? Or even give a driver's license, period?

PC is turning us from a melting pot of contributing cultures to a Balkanization of insular tribes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Wait a second...

Why are they dishonoring Allah by attempting to get a driver's license for a WOMAN?

Allah HATES women and wants them to be oppressed!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Glock Glockler

• friend
Well, if they provide the test in Spanish, why not in all the other lenguas tambien?  Why should only non English speaking latinos get a break?  They can't read the road signs either

Maybe we shouldn't be providing them in Spanish.

HankB

• friend
Well, if they provide the test in Spanish, why not in all the other lenguas tambien?  Why should only non English speaking latinos get a break?  They can't read the road signs either

Beat me to the punch by minutes . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
The whole issue will be moot at some point this year. The legislature is probably going to pass an English as the official Language of Oklahoma law this session.

There was overwhelming support for it last year but the American Indians here objected saying if discriminated against them and their languages. This version added an exemption for them and a few tweaks to make the law more like those passed in other states so it would pass a constitutional muster.

When it goes into effect all state business will be conducted in English.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

taurusowner

That's precisely why English should be the official language of the United States.

You want to drive in an English-speaking country? Learn English. Does Mexico give English driver's license tests to people who move down there? Would Iran give an English driver's license test? Or even give a driver's license, period?

PC is turning us from a melting pot of contributing cultures to a Balkanization of insular tribes.

QFFT man.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.

Beat me to the punch by minutes . . .

Ditto, +1, and all that other stuff that annoys the heck out of Mike.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
You know, I really don't have an issue with helping out for the major languages.  There were Spanish speaking guys who fought for our side in the Texas Revolution and were citizens when we became a country and state.  However, I really disagree with the sentiment that every single language must be catered to.  I don't think part of my ancestors had everything printed in German just for them. 

Do they have the DL tests in brail? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I would prety much take it to the bank that in Iran you can't get a drivers test in English. I'd also wager that nowhere in Mexico can you get a drivers test in English and I don't think they are gonna rpvide a translator either.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bigjake

• friend
Just say tough *expletive deleted*it to anyone who can't read the test as printed in English.  If you won't be bothered to learn the language, why should you have the privilage  of a DL??

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
notice the parents went to kansas and got their license. the driving force here is their dipshit son who goes to college here and is thoroughly americanized  was surprised hes an econ major  expected law school
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

thebaldguy

• friends
This is almost funny.

I believe that our MetroTransit light rail train has 5 languages on their signs.

HankB

• friend
notice the parents went to kansas and got their license. the driving force here is their dipshit son who goes to college here and is thoroughly americanized  was surprised hes an econ major  expected law school
Just relieved it wasn't flight school . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Glock Glockler

• friend
You know, I really don't have an issue with helping out for the major languages.  There were Spanish speaking guys who fought for our side in the Texas Revolution and were citizens when we became a country and state

Do you think their descendants learned English by this point?  If you start printing them in Spanish then every other group is going to demand them and you'll end up in the mess we have now.  There is no substitute for having an official language. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The Fairfax County School District sends information home with kids in a total of something like 90 languages and dialects.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
The Fairfax County School District sends information home with kids in a total of something like 90 languages and dialects.

Considering how much translation services cost for our brochures, along with checking for context (idioms often don't translate right), that's likely not cheap.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
When CA was making its new license for gun owners, oops I mean safety certificate, it was pointed out that it was only in English while the voters books and DL test were available in many, many languages, they really, really didn't like that.
Some one should sue to get that in Farsi,(the gun safety certificate) Iranians living in CA are almost always pro gun.
I would rather CA go broke printing a million different text in a million different dialects then spend money chasing AR owners, Oklahoma not as much, they don't seem as eager to punish gun owners.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
There is another article in today's paper stating that they were not asking for the test to be in Farsi.  They just wanted the test to have a graphical version like the one they have in Kansas.  They also went and rented an apartment in Kansas for two months to establish residency prior to getting the Kansas license then "moved" back to Oklahoma.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
see i told you parents had it together. aside from raising entitlement boy
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend

A lot of the guys who fought in the Revolutionary War spoke not a word of English.

Further, there is no authority in the Constitution to declare an official language of any kind.

That said, no person unable to read the Constitution in the original should be allowed to get a greencard in the first place, much less a citizenship.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner