Author Topic: Iranian immigrants want Farsi-language Oklahoma driver's license testing  (Read 9243 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
This was bound to happen once we started offering everything in Spanish. If we'd just kept everything in English, then nobody could claim they were being discriminated against -- they'd be getting the same treatment as other immigrants. But, noooooo ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
There is another article in today's paper stating that they were not asking for the test to be in Farsi.  They just wanted the test to have a graphical version like the one they have in Kansas. They also went and rented an apartment in Kansas for two months to establish residency prior to getting the Kansas license then "moved" back to Oklahoma.

This is worse than the whole drivers license thing right there.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
That's precisely why English should be the official language of the United States.

You want to drive in an English-speaking country? Learn English. Does Mexico give English driver's license tests to people who move down there? Would Iran give an English driver's license test? Or even give a driver's license, period?

PC is turning us from a melting pot of contributing cultures to a Balkanization of insular tribes.

A lot of the guys who fought in the Revolutionary War spoke not a word of English.

Further, there is no authority in the Constitution to declare an official language of any kind.

True, the Hessian mercenaries the English inflicted on us were likely non-English-speakers.

The COTUS may not grant the federales that authority, but it is silent WRT the states.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend

True, the Hessian mercenaries the English inflicted on us were likely non-English-speakers.

There were German immigrants who fought for the Revolutionary side, as well as French.

It was the Germans who were in part responsible for introducing the rifle to America, or so Morrison has it in "Oxford's History of the American People."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
Micro, you make a good point.

There's an additional factor to consider here: While congress has no constitutional authority to declare a national language and mandate its use, it clearly has the authority to prohibit states from mandating the use of one language or another, if it so chooses. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Phantom Warrior

• friend
I'm not supportive of Farsi driver's tests, but I've been driving here in Germany for several months unencumbered by a working knowledge of German much beyond "Ein Cola, bitte", "Danke", and "Baunhoff."  Most of the signs, as pointed out, are graphical and you learn to recognize the important ones that aren't, like "Eibenstrasse (one way street)."

Manedwolf

• friend
How are they supposed to read the road signs?!

Like, oh, DO NOT ENTER, WRONG WAY...

Same way I did when I was stationed overseas.  Learn the shapes, colors and important characters.  Worked well enough for me in Japan.

Yellow sign, no icons. SLIPPERY WHEN WET. ONE LANE. BLIND CHILD. HIDDEN DRIVEWAY.

Red signs, no icons. REDUCE SPEED AHEAD. WRONG WAY. PREPARE TO STOP.

We're talking about America. Not Japan, which has almost entirely iconography-based signs.

Frank Castle

• friend
Why do i have to push 1 for English !!!

angry

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
DT.....

You do seem to have some interesting information/experiences, so let me try to help you once more.

Condescension, arrogance, and just generally acting like a prick with a serious Napoleon complex do not fit in with the mission of the Armed POLITE Society. Calm down, stop presuming you're far superior in every way to the rest of us here, and you'll be fine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: DT
Where do you get that I'm presuming I'm "far superior"?

The near Prius-owner levels of smugness and arrogance.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
DT.....

You do seem to have some interesting information/experiences, so let me try to help you once more.

Condescension, arrogance, and just generally acting like a prick with a serious Napoleon complex do not fit in with the mission of the Armed POLITE Society. Calm down, stop presuming you're far superior in every way to the rest of us here, and you'll be fine.

Where do you get that I'm presuming I'm "far superior"?  It's not very POLITE to say someone is wrong and basically call them a liar, either, here and in other threads.  And I'm still waiting for a response regarding Manedwolfe's Japanese language qualifications.

Before you go any further with this, you might want to note that "iconographic" does not mean "employing ideograms"

Iconography does not equal use of alphanumeric or other writing symbols.  I think that you are demanding his knowledge of japanese because you do not know what "iconographic" means....am I right?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Phyphor

• friend
<Jayne Cobb mode>

Yea, and I want the entire female cast of Firefly to sex me the hell up!

</JCM>

Both are about as likely to happen, obviously.

Bunch of crap anyway, how the hell do they expect a OK state trooper to read that crap?

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"There were German immigrants who fought for the Revolutionary side"

MY German ancestors fought on the American side in the Revolutionary War.

As did my English AND Scottish ancestors.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.