Author Topic: Simple self defense  (Read 4908 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Simple self defense
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »
Kiddo knows the "sweet spots".

Groin, fingers (pinky in particular), nose, eyes,face, ears.

I pity anyone who will mess with my child...

She'll kickem inna nuts, break their fingers,  bite anything  she can get hold of and then run like hell.

Missed a few years of Princess -type innocence but...it was a good trade-off.

For her birthday (August , she'll be 12) I'm going to let her pick out a .357 revolver.

Gonna work her up on .38 and then see if she can handle .357.

.38/.357 - best training combo ever.

BTW - any other "sweet spots"?

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Simple self defense
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
I want her to grow up with it as a familiar old friend. Any suggestions?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 05:21:41 PM »
I want her to grow up with it as a familiar old friend. Any suggestions?

4" S&W 686.  Stainless.

You've got it pretty good.  Legs are very powerful - worst case - kick anything you can.  Break some toes with a good stomp.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »

Yes ... especially if you are grabbed/being held from behind.

Stomp down HARD! on the instep of the assailant's foot, with your heel. Works best if you are wearing shoes/boots with a hard heel. The idea is to crush the bones in the arch of the foot (is that the metatarsal?).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
eyes  its gross but a fight ender
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:37 PM »
Yes ... especially if you are grabbed/being held from behind.

Stomp down HARD! on the instep of the assailant's foot, with your heel. Works best if you are wearing shoes/boots with a hard heel. The idea is to crush the bones in the arch of the foot (is that the metatarsal?).

What he said.  Also, if grabbed from behind, you can throw a wicked elbow into the side of the persons head.  Elbows are insanely powerful, and heads tend to bleed a LOT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
What about a side kick to a knee?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
Don't forget raking your instep down the shin as you go to stomp on the other person's instep.  Hard sole edges work better, but even sneakers can hurt.

If you get into a chest-thumping, belly-bumping situation and can manage it, clapping them on the ears will cause a world of hurt.  Big, wide arm swing or start with the arms close together as if to break an armhold attempt then open up enough to get the needed width.  Flat hands seem to work better than cupped hands.  Do it hard.

Thrust extended knuckles of first 2 fingers into the adam's apple/voicebox.

Use elbows instead of fists whenever possible - less chance of injury to you.

Do not forget that pens, keys, books (hardback or softcover), hairbrushes, those stubby antennas on some cell phones all make excellent stabbing devices.  Books also are shields.

Depending on how heavy/bulky it is, a backpack can make an expedient flail.

Punting/drop-kicking the huevos may not be the best way to attack.  Too much risk of either getting the leg trapped or losing balance, or worst of all hurting your own foot.  If you are going to do it, use the middle of the shin instead of the instep.

Kicking/stomping the side of the knee may be viable.  Depends on a lot of variables.

Perhaps buy this book http://www.amazon.com/womans-guide-personal-defense-street/dp/0399518452

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
Cowgirl boots  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
Cowgirl boots  ;)
With little silver bull horns on the tips.  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Just got back from Los Ranchos gun shop. She (well I, for legal purposes) are the owners of a magnificent adjustable sight  model 66.
I figure I'll let her cut her teeth on it... and rhen get her something a little more compact.

My first S&W btw.  Wow.  I'm impressed.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »
She (well I, for legal purposes) are the owners of a magnificent adjustable sight  model 66.

IIRC, that's identical to the Model 19, but stainless, right?

Coolness.If she's smart, she'll keep it forever.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
What about a side kick to a knee?

I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
Just got back from Los Ranchos gun shop. She (well I, for legal purposes) are the owners of a magnificent adjustable sight  model 66.
I figure I'll let her cut her teeth on it... and rhen get her something a little more compact.

My first S&W btw.  Wow.  I'm impressed.

Well done.  It'll serve her well long after the price is forgotten.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »
seems like we got the sweet spots covered, not panicking is also key.
Speaking of keys- if she is in the car already she needs a plan. stomp the gas , turn the wheel, grab the keys. Have plans for all the various scenarios used by abductors- like code words only you and the misses would know.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 12:25:29 AM »
Ears, if grabbed at the base where it meets the head, will come off like orange peels.
Nostrils, arent exactly strong
The armpits, if hit, hurt and the nerve endings will numb the arms for a bit.

All comes down to PRACTICE.  Keep her doing it until its muscle memory

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »

Knees and throat, nerve bundles on the inside of the thigh and forearms. I presume that she wouldn't be using sharp and pointy implements but there are a few choice places for those as well.

I remember my first time with a full power .357. I was a scrawny little 13 year old. Very amusing, guy was expecting me to go flying back. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:37:07 AM by kgbsquirrel »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
ad the best old jail trick   always have a pencil   sharp is good but even an unsharpened one will do
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 06:05:39 AM »
One ex con to another in my classroom, "You do that again and I'll stick a pencil in your eye!"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:36 AM »
Throat is a possibility.

eyes  its gross but a fight ender
The problem with attacking the eyes is that some people have a tendency to scratch at them. My old kenpo instuctor said that when attacking the eyes, you should go for penetration - the inside corner (along the nose) is a good target, as the bones will guide your fingers deep into the socket and . . . well, we really don't need to get more graphic, do we?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
Kiddo knows the "sweet spots".
Kids are mean, nasty, violent critters! (if left alone) Seriously, young animals already know how to fight dirty, we adult-types take the fight out of them so that they can fit-in in public.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »
Gouging the eyes as HankB suggested once saved my sister from a would-be rapist that had forced her into his car at the point of a sawed-off shotgun.  She complied with him (to the point of starting to get undressed) until he put the gun down, and then she put a thumb in each of his eye sockets as far as they would go.  Then she got out of his car and ran.

Messed him up pretty bad.  I don't know that she permanently damaged him, but he was incapacitated so badly that the cops were able to just come fetch him, and he was still pretty messed up when he showed up in court several days later.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
Kudos to your sister, Broken Paw - glad she made it work out OK.  :police:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
Kudos to your sister, Broken Paw - glad she made it work out OK.  :police:

Me too.  My sister's a pretty remarkable woman.  She's one of those people who just...does what needs to be done.  No matter what. 
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
She married???

Just kiddin', I'm married, but still...my kinda woman. Sounds pretty much like my wife!

Bob

PS: SWMBO is an only child, before you ask.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."