Author Topic: Cultural question  (Read 1965 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Cultural question
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
I've been wondering for quite some time about the use of the word "gay" in pop culture. I see it often used as a pejorative---"Twilight is so gay-- without repercussions. Isn't that use offensive to the LGBT community?

brimic

• friends
Re: Cultural question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
Well Twilight is gay, so I can't see how that's offensive.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
There were some commercials out a year or so ago that really denigrated those that used "gay" in that fashion.

My understanding(based on the comments I've read in local news articles) is that gays don't like to be called gay.Or at the very least,it's like the word "ni66er",O.K. for use amongst those that would be the intended "victims",but not o.k. for those outside the group to use.I don't get it either.Either it's offensive or it's not.

I don't recall,in my lifetime,being able to use the word as a synonym for happy.Though I have read it that way in older books.
jeff w

I like onions!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
I don't typically like it in it's slang meaning or it being used habitually to discribe stuff in a derogatory fashion.

I rarely use it unless I'm actually talking about someone who is gay.

As a discriptor for behavior or items I tend to use the word "fruity", which is probably just as bad.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
Queer was the pejorative of choice when I was young.  Gay meant happy, though it was rarely used as it was an "old" word even then in the 50's to 70's.  Fey was another word for queer if you were trying to be "inclusive". :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »
Queer was the pejorative of choice when I was young.  Gay meant happy, though it was rarely used as it was an "old" word even then in the 50's to 70's.  Fey was another word for queer if you were trying to be "inclusive". :P

So 'foppish' might have been before your time?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »
The word "queer" wasn't much used by the early 70's in the areas I knew. "Gay" had become the acceptable term for homosexuals (who were pretty much only called "homosexuals" by sociologists or Billy Graham). I didn't know the word "gay" had been dropped from popular use as a term for homosexuals. Why, then, the phrases "gay marriage" or the abbreviation "LGBT"?

"Foppish" in the strictest sense meant overly concerned with clothes and appearance.  I heard it used primarily by Brits to describe someone as effeminate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
"Foppish" in the strictest sense meant overly concerned with clothes and appearance.  I heard it used primarily by Brits to describe someone as effeminate.

^^^ This. I've never considered "foppish" as an alternate for "gay.'
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:53:42 PM »
So 'foppish' might have been before your time?

Foppish was never gay or fey or queer or even fairy.  It was a self-absorbed clotheshouse.

As for the OP's interogotory - it has pretty much always been that whatever we called "them" (regardless of which "them" it was) seemed to piss "them" off which then resulted in "them" picking a term supposedly not derogotory and wanting to be called that term.  Between the 1940s and the 1980s it seemed that there was a race to come up with a new descriptive as soon as the then-current one was accepted and picked up in general use.  I think that stopped mostly because they ran out of terms/names.

What amazes and amuses me is how the LBGTxxxxxx (I can't remember all the rest of the initials) community has forced inclusiveness on groups that used to not want anything to do with each other - to the point of fights that put Sharks vs. Jets look like tiddlywinks contests.

Until one of "them" tells me which term they prefer I pick one based on their overall behavior.  Unless they want to be called LBGTxxxxxx - mostly because they cannot be all of those so they either pick one or I will.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »
I think that the word "gay" has evolved into two words, sort of like how it use to mean happy, then as a way to describe a homosexual. But unlike before where the new word took over the old word now it has split into to separate words. Now it is a word to describe a homosexual, and as a way to say that something is bad. When people started using it as a way to say something is bad they were using it like, 'being gay is bad so by calling this gay I'm showing how bad it is.', but now it has separated from that to just calling something bad. It's sort of like how the word "*expletive deleted*ck" has so many meanings. It seems that today if people want to insult a homosexual they call them a "fag", and to put emphasis "fagget"
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 12:19:13 AM »
Actually, the spelling is "*Not nice word for gay men*".  I think a fagget is a female fag. ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:46:42 AM »
Growing up (70's and 80's) the term used was '*Not nice word for gay men*'.    I never heard 'gay' until college.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 12:47:25 AM »
Usage differences could be both geographical and time related. As far as derogatory use, "queer" and "homo" were used extensively when I was growing up in the 70s. In Junior High and High School, they were pretty much tossed around among the guys the same way as you would say "dummy" or "dufus".  "*Not nice word for gay men*" was the more derogatory term, I guess when you really wanted to cut somebody down.  I remember in High School , one guy used to think he was clever by calling people a "bundle of sticks" when in the classroom to avoid getting in trouble.

If "gay" was used at all,  I recall it being what homosexual people wanted to be called (not that I recall any big gay movement stuff, at least in my neck of the woods, during that time). I never remember it being perceived as derogatory at the time, unlike its apparent place now. As a kid I certainly remember some of the older adults using "gay" in its original meaning, but very rarely. I also hear "that's so gay" thrown out a lot by younger people, even by inclusive progressives, and have no idea why it seems to be okay sometimes and not okay at other times.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
What's with all the tinfoil hat smiley faces?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »

Protection from the "gay-rays".
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »

My guess is someone is playing with the swear filter to filter out the word "f a g g o t" Because that's what I'm spelling here: [tinfoil]
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
My guess is someone is playing with the swear filter to filter out the word "f a g g o t" Because that's what I'm spelling here: [tinfoil]

Yeah, we have some odd words on the naughty language filter.  Like *expletive deleted*it.  As in a variant transliteration of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shia_Islam
that has no "a" and an added "i" and "t" and "e."

I guess someone gets a wild hair and adds some word to the list.  Maybe we can have an all-inclusive list of words that might offend someone, somewhere?  We can pretty much just stick with "a," "the," "some," and "and."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »
Pelosi...

Yep. Wildly inadequate list.  =|
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
^^ :laugh:

Weird. Never seen it use the tinfoil hat smiley, always as *expletive deleted* for naughty words.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
^^ :laugh:

Weird. Never seen it use the tinfoil hat smiley, always as *expletive deleted* for naughty words.

I think you can customize it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
Hmmm, that's rather odd.

The code for Mr. Reynolds Wrap is [ tinfoil ]  (minus the spaces).

But if one types f a g g o t as one word you get *Not nice word for gay men*. <---- I actually typed it with the spaces removed.

However, if you type one of the 7+ dirty words you can't say on APS you get *expletive deleted*ck.  <----actual dirty word typed in post.

I shall have to deleve deeper into the depths of APS to see with the issue is.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »
I was thinking that in the 80's "Gay" wasn't really considered offensive, it just was.  As dirty mouth kids, queer, fag, and homo were the words of choice.  I don't recall gay being considered bad anymore than actually being homosexual was to us.  The homosexual activists are a very brittle bunch and seem to take offense to just about anything.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »
Ahhh, it was in the list of 34 dirty words you can't say on APS.   So it's been changed to something else. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
Ahhh, it was in the list of 34 dirty words you can't say on APS.   So it's been changed to something else. 

You can't post them in the open, so how do we know what we can't say?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »
A foot note reminder on the eighties?

Remember GRID?Gay Related Immune Deficiancy?

My teenage wanker self used homo and faget.In retrospect,I believe that gay meant someone dangerously deviant at the time.

My sister dated a kid my age whose older brother was a stewardess that died of AIDS related whatever before 1985."Gay" certainly was a corrupt happy back then.

Great,now I'm going to think on just how shitty the eighties/high school was. =(
jeff w

I like onions!