Author Topic: Cultural question  (Read 1966 times)

Typhoon

• friend
Re: Cultural question
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »
“Gay” as a pejorative seems to be more of a teen/high school thing, which is seeping more into the mainstream.  “Dude, that is so gay…”  Although, online, I have seen this particular usage spelled as “ghey” with the appropriate shift in pronunciation. “Ghe..”

I inadvertently caused much gleeful hilarity in class when I suggested that my students needed to “ratchet up” their efforts…

Oooops…

“Ratchet” or “ratchet girl” seems to connote “ghetto” or “ho” or Miley Cyrus’ new twerking persona.

Sigh…

I shouldn’t complain.  When I was in high school, students dissolved into fits of adolescent giggles when the chemistry teacher said that if we didn’t follow his instructions, he would “whack off” points.

Hee hee hee hee hee…
To the stars!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
I shouldn’t complain.  When I was in high school, students dissolved into fits of adolescent giggles when the chemistry teacher said that if we didn’t follow his instructions, he would “whack off” points.

Hee hee hee hee hee…

Once in high school we got the debate teacher to admit she was a "Master Debater"   :rofl:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
IIRC, *Not nice word for gay men* used to be a slang term for cigarette in the UK.  I wonder if that has changed?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
It's also possible to throw another *Not nice word for gay men* on the fire . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
*Not nice word for gay men*

I liked the tinfoil hat guy better. [tinfoil]
jeff w

I like onions!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
I wonder how the word became a derogatory term in the first place.

From thefreedictionary.com:

*Not nice word for gay men* (ˈfæɡət) or fagot
n
1. a bundle of sticks or twigs, esp when bound together and used as fuel
2. (Metallurgy) a bundle of iron bars, esp a box formed by four pieces of wrought iron and filled with scrap to be forged into wrought iron
3. (Cookery) a ball of chopped meat, usually pork liver, bound with herbs and bread and eaten fried
4. a bundle of anything
vb (tr)
5. to collect into a bundle or bundles
6. (Knitting & Sewing) needlework to do faggoting on (a garment, piece of cloth, etc)
[C14: from Old French, perhaps from Greek phakelos bundle]
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
I think the word "gay" for homosexuals started to come into common use sometime in the late 60's - at least, that's when I remember some columnists debating the use of a word meaning "happy" for a group that seemed singularly unhappy at the time. (An alternate suggestion to the word "gay" was "morose.")

The most "polite" term was used by Johnny Carson . . . "A little light in the loafers."   ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
^^^ I buy my loafer lightener and mincing gel by the barrel!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
Here's an interesting article on the etymology of the word that can't be said.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Here's an interesting article on the etymology of the word that can't be said.
The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.
The posted link took me here.^^
jeff w

I like onions!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.
The posted link took me here.^^

New link, http://tinyurl.com/yjcv87w
It's because the original had the word *Not nice word for gay men* in it so it changed the url.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
A foot note reminder on the eighties?

Remember GRID?Gay Related Immune Deficiancy?

I don't remember it being called that.  I do remember reading articles in Science News about this new disease that seemed oddly prevalent in male homosexuals, involving immune system problems.  Early '80s.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
I wonder how the word became a derogatory term in the first place.

From thefreedictionary.com:

*Not nice word for gay men* (ˈfæɡət) or fagot
n
1. a bundle of sticks or twigs, esp when bound together and used as fuel
2. (Metallurgy) a bundle of iron bars, esp a box formed by four pieces of wrought iron and filled with scrap to be forged into wrought iron
3. (Cookery) a ball of chopped meat, usually pork liver, bound with herbs and bread and eaten fried
4. a bundle of anything
vb (tr)
5. to collect into a bundle or bundles
6. (Knitting & Sewing) needlework to do faggoting on (a garment, piece of cloth, etc)
[C14: from Old French, perhaps from Greek phakelos bundle]

It's simple: people used to burn homosexuals because they are made out of wood.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought