Author Topic: The Coolest You Should Keep Your House is 78 Degrees, Federal Program Recommends  (Read 1685 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
At the highest. When I'm in a suit, I like 69.

I like 69, but while out of the suit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
"The Coolest You Should Keep Your House is 78 Degrees, Federal Program Recommends"

The operative word there is "you".  I'm sure that whoever wrote that nonsense don't keep their thermostats set that high; they don't have to.  Convince other people to do it, and they've done their part.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
OK, I set my t-stat to 79. Now how many sweaters do I need to wear, to stop sweating?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
When I was last at sunny and beautiful 29 Palms (2011),  none of the barracks thermostats would go under 78 (?).  We'd cure this by flicking lighters under them until the room was cold.  Eventually replaced that useless thing with a civvy one and had the coldest room in the bldg.

Dumbest part,  it was also a preset in the base hotel,  which friggin sucked.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
When I was last at 29 Stumps, we were able to set our thermostats to a comfortable temperature, around 73-74° if I remember correctly.  Of course, this was back in 1977.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I caught it on the news this morning, so can't remember the name of the research organization, but the anchors were talking about this and said some national sleep research organization recommended 65 deg for good REM sleep.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I sleep best around 55-60. Winter we hardly run our heat, except in the morning.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
When I was last at 29 Stumps, we were able to set our thermostats to a comfortable temperature, around 73-74° if I remember correctly.  Of course, this was back in 1977.

That's the first time I've heard an "in the old corps" story where things were actually nicer  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!  :rofl:

If I ever get AC, it'll be 70, max, in the summer... and if I get cold, I'll just open a window until it warms up a bit. After all these years of surviving Virginia summers without such wonders, the government can suck it. I'm going to revel in arctic temperatures, just because I can.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yeah, they can go screw themselves.

I normally keep the house at 70 when I'm here because of Seren, and also because I need to run the AC to keep the humidity at a reasonable level.

I turn the thermostat up in the morning before I leave the house, to 80.

By the time I get back, around 3:30 most days, the temperature in the living room is usually 75 to 77. The temp in the front part of the house is a bit higher because I get afternoon sun, and the upstairs is always a couple degrees warmer.

The heat loading used to be a LOT worse before I put the extra insulation in the attic back in 2010.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
If new AC's start coming with a 78 degree lower limit, I'll point a hair dryer at the thing to make it keep cooling if I have to. I'm a big fan of there being a noticeable difference between outdoors and indoors. Our AC is set to 66 in the summer, and I keep the heat around 75 in the winter. I seem to remember reading an article during Obama's first term, about how he was suggesting that we should wear sweaters in the house to cut back our carbon footprint, meanwhile the oval office thermostat was set to 80 so he'd be comfortable without a jacket.

HankB

• friend
At the other extreme, back during the Carter administration, my employer wanted to be politically correct, and one Monday morning we all came in to a downright chilly office. (Minnesota in winter.) When I went to adjust the thermostat, I saw a tape "seal" on it over a small setscrew that had been installed to prevent moving the temperature over 65. Which gets rather chilly if you have a desk job.

Every desk also had a note on it with a lot of frak about saving energy and warnings against space heaters, heating pads, etc. ("Du is't kold, un you vill REMAIN kold!")

After about a half hour, not being French, I decided to do something about it. A razor blade allowed me to scrape off the tape seal without damaging it and access the setscrew, so I could have a decently warm office. Now, my manager (a former Hitler Youth - I kid you not!) walked in and frowned, but didn't stop me. And an hour later, teeth chattering, he came in and asked me to fix the thermostat in HIS office.  =D

By mid-week, most thermostats in the labs were restored to full functionality - management never commented again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
That's the first time I've heard an "in the old corps" story where things were actually nicer  >:D

The Old Corps we referred to in my era probably didn't have it as nice as either of us.  They likely didn't have A/C at all back in those days.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.