Author Topic: SWAT team-seized boy refuses doc's painkillers  (Read 2104 times)

Desertdog

• friends
SWAT team-seized boy refuses doc's painkillers
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:39:11 PM »
SWAT team-seized boy refuses doc's painkillers
11-year-old taken against parents' will after bumping head at family's home
By Bob Unruh
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59581

A Western Colorado boy who was taken by police against his parents wishes to a hospital after he was horsing around and bumped his head says the doctor told him to put ice on the bruise, and offered him painkillers, but he said he didn't need any.

WND has reported John Shiflett, 11, was taken to a hospital by the Garfield, Colo., County SWAT team after he fell, hitting his head on the ground, and his parents refused paramedic demands to be allowed to take him in.

A concerned neighbor apparently had called for an ambulance, but his father, Tom Shiflett, who worked with the medics corps in Vietnam, had evaluated his son and was watching him, so he told the paramedics to leave without his son.

Someone on the paramedic team then, apparently, called police and the sheriff's office, eventually resulting in a magistrate's order for the boy to be seized, triggering the sheriff's decision to invade the family's home with a SWAT team whose members had guns drawn.

"He's got one of the best shiners I've every seen," Tom Shiflett said of his son.

John Shiflett yesterday told WND that the doctor at the hospital took his blood pressure four times, and asked him if he was on any medications.

"They asked if I was healthy and I said yes," he said. Doctors also did several X-ray procedures to evaluate his injury, and told him to drink a lot of cold liquids and "keep an ice pack on my head." he said.

"That's exactly what we were doing at home before we were interrupted," he said.

Authorities have declined to explain the reasoning for the court order for the medical evaluation, and SWAT team entrance into the home.

Jim Bradford, a court clerk in Garfield County, said it was a juvenile matter and he could not comment on any aspect of the case, and he declined to allow WND to leave a message for Garfield County Magistrate Lain Leoniak, who signed the order.

A spokeswoman for WestCare Ambulance, which reportedly responded to the call, also refused to answer any questions about the case, saying all issues were considered patient confidentiality issues.

Garfield County Sheriff Lou Vallario did talk with WND about the situation, and said he simply ordered his officers to do exactly what the magistrate demanded.

"I was given a court order by the magistrate to seize the child, and arrange for medical evaluation, and that's what we did," he said.

Vallario said the SWAT team was dispatched, and officers knocked on the family's door. Shiflett told WND when he answered the knock the SWAT team members already had surrounded and were approaching his house from several directions.

The SWAT team then forcibly entered the home, punching a hole in the front door and pointing guns at family members, Tom Shiflett said. The boy's parents and siblings were thrown to the floor at gunpoint and the parents were handcuffed.

Someone, apparently the unidentified paramedic, had called police, the sheriff's office and social services, eventually providing Leoniak with a report that generated the magistrate's court order to the sheriff's office for the SWAT team assault on the family's home in a mobile home development outside of Glenwood Springs, the father told WND.

WND calls and e-mails to Garfield County Social Services also were not returned.

According to friends of the family, Tom Shiflett, who has 10 children including six still at home, and served with paramedics in Vietnam, was monitoring his son's condition himself.

The paramedic and magistrate, however, ruled that that wasn't adequate, and dispatched the officers to take the boy, John, to a hospital, where a doctor evaluated him and released him immediately.

The accident happened during horseplay, the family said. John was grabbing the door handle of a car as his sister was starting to drive away slowly. He slipped, fell to the ground and hit his head.

Shiflett immediately carried his son into their home several doors away, and John was able to recite Bible verses and correctly spell words as his father and mother, Tina, requested. There were no broken bones, no dilated eyes, or any other noticeable problems.

The family, whose members live by faith and homeschool, decided not to call an ambulance. But a neighbor did call Westcare Ambulance, and paramedics responded to the home, asking to see and evaluate the boy.

A family acquaintance said the decision not to let paramedics take the boy to the hospital, "did not go over well."

"The paramedics were not at all respectful of Tom's decision, nor did they act in a manner we would expect from professional paramedics," the acquaintance said.

Police first told the paramedics the decision to hospitalize the boy would be up to the family, and sheriff's deputies left the family's home after being assured John was being watched and cared for.

However, the next day, Friday, social services workers appeared at the door and demanded to talk with John "in private," before seeing him and eventually leaving.

Then, following an afternoon shopping trip to town, the family settled in for the evening, only to be shocked with the knock at the door and the SWAT team attack.

The sheriff said the decision to use SWAT team force was justified because the father was a "self-proclaimed constitutionalist" and had made threats and "comments" over the years.

However, the sheriff declined to provide a single instance of the father's illegal behavior. "I can't tell you specifically," he said.

"He was refusing to provide medical care," the sheriff said.

However, the sheriff said if his own children were involved in an at-home accident, he would want to be the one to make decisions on their healthcare, as did Shiflett.

"I guess if that was one of my children, I would make that decision," the sheriff said.

But he said Shiflett was "rude and confrontational" when the paramedics arrived and entered his home without his permission.

The sheriff also admitted that the injury to the child had been at least 24 hours earlier, because the fall apparently happened Thursday afternoon, and the SWAT attack happened late Friday evening.

Officials with the Home School Legal Defense Association reported they were looking into the case, because of requests from family friends who are members of the organization.

"While people can debate whether or not the father should have brought his son to the ER  it seems like this was not the kind of emergency that warrants this kind of outrageous conduct by government officials," a spokesman said.

"I don't know where social services ever got started, or where they got their authority," Shiflett said. "But I want to know why we have something in this country that violates our rights, that takes a parental right away."

"Now I'm hunting for lawyers that will take the case & I'm going to sue everybody whose name was on that page right down to the judge," he said.

Mike Donnelly, a lawyer with the HSLDA, told WND the case had a set of circumstances that could be problematic for authorities.

"In Doe V. Heck, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals held that parents have a fundamental right to familial relations including a liberty interest in the care, custody and control of their children," he said.

Polishrifleman

• friend
Re: SWAT team-seized boy refuses doc's painkillers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:48:18 PM »
Wow! a day later home invasion by the gobbermint.

The concerned neighbor should remain concerned and if they were a real neighbor could have gone and asked about the kid themselves, the concerned paramedic should have never shown up in the first place, and the nazi regime should have had friday night off.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »
yeah we are all just tin-foil hat nutters because bills like this and abuse like that don't have anything in common S..u..r...e...

Now that I'm on record as a *GASP* "constitutionalist"!! who has made threats contrary to The Smith Act.  I better be worried that if one of my cats is injured and I don't whisk it away to the vet I might expect a visit from SWAT. yippee
SWAT team force was justified because the father was a "self-proclaimed constitutionalist" and had made threats and "comments" over the years.

Hmmm I wonder if I could form aluminum in the shape of a fedora?
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »
Just sing the National Anthem and rock yourself to sleep. They do this for your protection. Don't question; just comply and everything will be peachy.  police
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Chris

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »
I used to prosecute child protection cases, and they appear before me now.  I've issed those kinds of Magistrate Orders myself.  But this just makes me shake my head.  Poor kid.

RichK

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
"But he said Shiflett was "rude and confrontational" when the paramedics arrived and entered his home without his permission. "

No kidding.I would have had the same reaction.
Having been a medic for 15 years, I always ask permission to enter, unless the person is unresponsive. Then the cops make entry, and we follow them. Sounds to me like Ricky Rescue got his panties in a bunch over someone not accepting his Para-God attitude.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:19 AM »
I can't believe that guy's not in jail!  I mean c'mon!  Thinking he can take care of his own son AND being rude to those who suggest otherwise?  No wonder SWAT was called in, he's clearly a dangerous lunatic.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
Gut feeling is they guy is hot-headed and confrontational, and has had run-ins with both neighbors and law enforcement before. As much as I want to be on the guy's side, it's beginning to sound a lot more like this was the end result of a long-standing animosity he created for himself. It will be interesting when all the facts come out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
. . . Shiflett was "rude and confrontational" when the paramedics arrived and entered his home without his permission.
This could easily be regarded as a home invasion, with a reaction that would go FAR beyond "rude and confrontational" . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
ok, first off, S.W.AT was overkill.
second, nobody wants people busting through doors.

as for this particular event.
child neglect laws are very strict and very delicate. the social workers (and of course we're going on heresay from newspapers) would have had other conserns, then just the head wound, when filling for a court order. why was the boy chasing the car? whats the families case history? some social workers are good and really trying to do their jobs. others are zelots determined to save everyone, even if the kid in question doesn't want to be saved.
the newspaper can not be depended on to get these facts out. they want to sell papers and s.w.a.t. busting down doors without a cause sells LOTS of papers.
the end story, well, hindsight is 20/20 and we now know that the kid was fine and the responce to the situation was over the top of acceptable. but wiether they had real reason to belive the child was in serious danger or not will probably never be known.
the lesson to those involved should most likely be aquirering some tact, as opposed to useing brute force.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
I can't believe that guy's not in jail!  I mean c'mon!  Thinking he can take care of his own son AND being rude to those who suggest otherwise?  No wonder SWAT was called in, he's clearly a dangerous lunatic.
I do hope this is sarcasm.   In some states you can get killed going into somebodies house without permission, no matter who you are.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »
What I think ought to be done really ought not be posted in a public forum.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »
The family, whose members live by faith and homeschool, decided not to call an ambulance. But a neighbor did call Westcare Ambulance, and paramedics responded to the home, asking to see and evaluate the boy.

Why are so many people afraid of people of faith, that choose to live their lives as they wish.
They do not want their children indoctrinated with the secular humanism that is pervasive in our government propaganda centers, er I mean schools.
They want their children to be free to worship through out the day and live free from tyranny.

Quote from: Brad
it's beginning to sound a lot more like this was the end result of a long-standing animosity he created for himself.
Animosity created with and by whom? 
If I have a long standing disagreement over *insert confrontational issue* with a neighbor then I should feel I got what I deserved when the neighbor out of spite and hearsay engages the full force and might of the government upon me? 

Regardless of the mans demeanor the intrusion was not warranted.
I don't care if the guy is a bona fide nutjob, the simple fact is that if the children are being fed and not being abused, the government shouldn't be involved in any way whatsoever. 

The worst case scenario here would have been a visit by CSS and a doctor to the house.
The use of a SWAT team was abhorrent.

The sheriff should have used better judgment, and frankly from his statements should be removed from his duties.
The sheriff said the decision to use SWAT team force was justified because the father was a "self-proclaimed constitutionalist" and had made threats and "comments" over the years.

However, the sheriff declined to provide a single instance of the father's illegal behavior. "I can't tell you specifically," he said.

"He was refusing to provide medical care," the sheriff said.

An outright lie, the father provided medical care, he just chose not to rack up unnecessary bills with a 3rd party. He still administered medical care.
"He's got one of the best shiners I've every seen," Tom Shiflett said of his son.

John Shiflett yesterday told WND that the doctor at the hospital took his blood pressure four times, and asked him if he was on any medications.

"They asked if I was healthy and I said yes," he said. Doctors also did several X-ray procedures to evaluate his injury, and told him to drink a lot of cold liquids and "keep an ice pack on my head." he said.

"That's exactly what we were doing at home before we were interrupted," he said.

However, the sheriff said if his own children were involved in an at-home accident, he would want to be the one to make decisions on their healthcare, as did Shiflett.

"I guess if that was one of my children, I would make that decision," the sheriff said.
So he's capable of making that decision on his own, but the lowly serf is not.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »
It seems that he answered the door several times and let the resue people and the police talk to his son.  That being the case, why knock down the door with guns drawn?  Seems they could have knocked again, and presented the papers to take his kid away.  If he actually made threats that warrented a Swat team, they would have arrested him.  I think he will win the lawsuit.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.