Author Topic: Suspicious Vans  (Read 1766 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Suspicious Vans
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
Coming soon to your neighborhood:

Chris Hafner at Car Lust Blog comments on and links to suspiciousvans.com.

CLB is some of my favorite writing on autos.  Its like these guy were inside myhead in the1980s & 1990s, car-wise.

http://www.carlustblog.com/2010/03/march-8-weekly-open-thread-suspicious-vans-edition.html

We tend to be van fans here in Car Lust country. I wrote a heated defense of minivans a few years ago in which I wrote that "popular culture is so anti-minivan today that driving one is so counter-culture, so in the face of popular biases, so keeping-it-real, that it's almost punk rock." A little later, as part of Inappropriately Named Chrysler Products week, I ran a piece both ridiculing and adoring the Dodge Sprinter. Cookie the Dog's Owner wrote a paean to his mini-mini-van Mazda 5, Big Chris and I debated the merits of the Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia, and David Drucker wrote a scorching piece titled, "A Minivan is Better Than What You're Driving." Someday, I'll get around to putting into print the Custom Van Lust piece that has been rattling around in my head for the last few years.

So, given all that, it was with more than a usual level of interest that I learned of SuspiciousVans.com, which features, well, vans that are suspicious. Vans, of course, have a reputation of being frequently involved in shady activities of all kinds, and SV's gallery of entertaining and unsettling images of incredibly creepy vans shows that this reputation is pretty well-founded. SV's mission statement: "Leash your pets and small children; suspicious vans can be found in even the safest cities. From the rape-wagons to the intravenous-drug-use vans to the parked-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere-for-no-reason VW buses, this site is an ode of respect, fear, and appreciation for them all."

That sounds like a worthy mission to me.

--Chris H.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mgdavis

• friend
Re: Suspicious Vans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »
My ride back in high school was a big black van with tinted windows. It may occasionally have been involved in suspicious activities  :angel:. I miss it every once in awhile, lots of memories there. It had a 360 and 3spd auto, loved to smoke one tire while leaving stop signs. =D

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
I had the Falcon from Hell in high school.. Briefly, but it was cool as all get out.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2542/3421/31354210001_large.jpg

Of course, we'd managed a 350/350 to give it the proper amount of giddyup, but still.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
Here is a picture what I had for a highschool ride. (not my car but close)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:39 PM »

Qualify as "creepy" since they look back at the wearer, not out at everyone else.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »
geeeeeez, jow do you upload from photobucket?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:22:56 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »
geeeeeez, jow do you upload from photobucket?

just post the link that has the image tags [img]
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »
try try again...  =D

My ride during HS:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
Ohhh, looks like I got it. Thanks!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
My first was a 1960 Olds F85, much like the one below. I bought it for $125. It wasn't a muscle car, and didn't have much character, so I made some modifications. I had a friend paint "The Grim Reaper" on the rear quarter panels, along with a silhouette of the Grim Reaper. That was a goof on the guys with hot rods who named their cars.

I put head rests on the front seats, and stenciled "f***" on the rear of the driver's side rest and "you" on the rear of the passenger's side rest.

The car was a real cop magnet. I wonder why? ;)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »

First car I owned was an 87 Mazda 323 that ran off 3 of the 4 cylinders the entire time I owned it.   I received this car as a hand me down from my older brother.....If it ever got up to above 50 bad thing happened, like the hood latch breaking and then a hinge breaking causing the hood to fly up hit the roof then flap over and hit the road.  I kid you not this happened as i passed by a bus full of hot girls from the church I went to. So of course i get out rip the hinge off throw it in the back of my friends truck behind me and drive get back into the car like nothing happened....
Here is a pic of one like mine...

No A/C in west Texas...god that car sucked...

After that I drove a 1980 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe...
I found a Pic of one.. not near like mine....

Mine was white with mustard yellow top and mustard yellow leather seats... God it was a beast.. but the back seat was bigger than some Sofa's I have owned.  Every seat had an ash tray...... I was not popular because of that car but I defiantly rode around in mobster style luxury.  8 Track with digital clock and cassette.  While all my friends had CD....Mine was white with mustard yellow top and mustard yellow leather seats... God it was a beast.. but the back seat was bigger than some Sofa's I have owned.  Every seat had an ash tray...... I was not popular because of that car but I defiantly rode around in mobster style luxury.  8 Track with digital clock and cassette.  While all my friends had CD... It was longer than most of my friends pickups...

Then it died and I got a 3rd hand Pontiac....I went thru alot of cars...

(these pictures shamelessly stolen from wherever I could find similar car photos)

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:35:42 PM »
But back on subject....

(These are NOT MINE OR ANYONE I KNOW.... )

As seen in Austin Texas on many occasions...(yes first Hand I have seen The Mystery Machine ad Trudy's....mmm Best Mexican Food Ever....)  And yes everyone calls the driver Shaggy.. and yes he wears a green shirt and has a goatee.....

The Mystery Machine and The A-Team......
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:39:00 PM by J.J. »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »
Yup, that's going too far alright.  ;/

The Lone Haranguer

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 08:12:18 PM »
Who says vans are all bad?  =D