Author Topic: Suthern Accents  (Read 22548 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Suthern Accents
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
One customer came in and said, "I have some all in my truck." My wife asked him to repeat what he'd just said, but still couldn't understand. She called her supervisor, and even she couldn't understand. Finally they figured out that he was saying he had "oil" in his truck.

Despite the fact that I took college-level courses in linguistics, I am convinced that it is impossible to reproduce on paper (or screen) an accurate representation of how a true suthren boy enunciates the word for that slippery lubrication stuff.

It isn't quite "all," although that's close. And it isn't quite "awl," either.

I think it's more like "awihl" spoken as a single syllable. Or maybe "ohyl."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »
How hard is to say KY?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »
You got that right. Ever been to Saaaakston?  

Sure.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 01:08:59 AM »
Don't forget "tars". I got big mud tars on my truck.
Also there is "wahr". I got a flat tar when I run through the bob wahr fence.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 01:39:06 AM »
I have a tough time even with words I can understand. The first time I went to a supermarket, the checkout clerk asked me if I wanted a buggy. It took a few back-and-forth's before I realized she meant shopping cart.

I guess folks down here take responsibility for their actions. When there's a collision, the papers call it a "wreck", not an "accident".

People around here are really chatty. I got into a half-hour talk with an older guy at Home Depot. 30 minutes later, I still hadn't understood more than three words he said.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 02:23:42 AM »
When I hear a Southern accent, I see white magnolia blossoms. (And their buds, which look exactly like grenades). Peel off the stem and throw it, and (as a kid) it made a perfect grenade.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
All I know is this girl from KY melts my heart every time she says, "bah" instead of "bye". And like HM said, that's NOT the best way to represent the actual inflection.

Lots of us northern boys are a sucker for a pretty girl with a southern accent.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
TV has gone a long way toward killing regional dialects, for better or worse. To me, my wife, a local girl, doesn't have much accent; just a funky vocabulary. But not a funky has her Mom had. But she went to Texas for training on new lab equipment & spent most of her time in the break room so everybody could listen to her talk. Now one county over...

Had a gorgeous little blond where I worked: "Cud you hep me hode him still?" Could barely keep a staright face.

How 'bout Ward & Jeff Burton, Nascar racing brothers? Woud has a mouthful of marbles!

Bob
TV has done a lot, but they are still there.  You just have to travel around to the smaller towns and meet people who grew up in those areas and never left.  Where you don't see regional dialects so much is in bigger cities with more transplants. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:09 AM »
I guess folks down here take responsibility for their actions. When there's a collision, the papers call it a "wreck", not an "accident".

You mean, they bang their cars together on purpose?  ;/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
"Accident" implies unforeseeable and/or unpreventable.
The overwhelming majority of automobile collisions are not so much accidents as they are the result of negligence.
Getting hit by a drunk driver is not an accident. It's a result of criminal negligence.
Getting rear-ended at a stop light is not an accident, it's the result of negligence.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
The overwhelming majority of automobile collisions are not so much accidents as they are the result of negligence.
Getting hit by a drunk driver is not an accident. It's a result of criminal negligence.
Getting rear-ended at a stop light is not an accident, it's the result of negligence.

Correct. In gun parlance it's the difference between an AD and an ND.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
Lots of us northern boys are a sucker for a pretty girl with a southern accent.

True. I fall in love several times a day.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »

Citations needed.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 04:03:23 PM »
TV has done a lot, but they are still there.  You just have to travel around to the smaller towns and meet people who grew up in those areas and never left.  Where you don't see regional dialects so much is in bigger cities with more transplants. 

Word.

Travel a bit and tune in the local TV station for the news - especially, in my experience, the weather forcasts.  Daytime AM talk radio is another good source - especially the swap-meet for sale programs and anything with a religious connection.

At one time folks that wanted to break out of regional broadcasting into the national outlets attended schools that taught Standard Midwestern dialect and inflection, much in the same manner that BBC readers were schooled in whatever they called that pseudo-public school speaking sttyle.  What I hear on BBC on the SW seems to indicate that there no longer is a standard to be adhered to.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
I tell you what.

We called a guy I used to work with Boomhaur.

Mom got fired from a job because she had too much of an accent.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »
One thing is for sure, you never know quite how much of an accent you have yourself until you get recorded and hear yourself talking.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »
I was asked by an Aussie guide "why did I speak English with a bloody Pom accent?"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Yeah, the first one.

If you'd like to play dueling dictionaries, this one also works.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accident

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »
Oh, you want to duel with dictionaries eh? I got a 1953 unabridged right over there (I'm pointing) that I bought for $1 at a tag sale. I'll take you ALL on with that baby.  ;)  >:D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »
If you're going to duel with dictionaries, you're not going to be able to bludgeon each other. You'll have to walk 25 paces, turn and throw the dictionary at your opponent.

So, it boils down to the old argument as to which is better: the lighter, faster dictionary, or the slower but heavier one?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
Yes, mine would turn into a plume of fluttering paper before 25 paces. I imagine a little duct tape might help.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
What about people who pronounce "strength" as "strenth"? Is that a Southern thing?

And the people who don't pronounce the "l" in "Republican"? What is that about?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 03:58:08 PM »
What about people who pronounce "strength" as "strenth"? Is that a Southern thing?

Most people I know pronounce it strength.

Remember that when you say "the south" that covers a huge area. What they say in Alabama, for example, I have no idea because I have never been to Alabama.

Most people I know also say Republican, not Repubcan.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
And the people who don't pronounce the "l" in "Republican"? What is that about?
That's the most ridicuous thing I've ever heard!  ;/