Author Topic: Suthern Accents  (Read 22548 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Suthern Accents
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure most folks here in Alabama pronounce it "Republicans". If not, then they'd pronounce the state as "Aabama", and I haven't heard that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
I don't think "Repubican" is Southern. Just throwing that in there. It actually seems to be limited to women.

I have also heard a woman on the radio, said to be a Constitutional scholar, but she couldn't pronounce "constitution." It always came out as con'titution.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »
I heard a professor say "corpse-man" instead of "corpsman". He wasn't a constitutional scholar, though. Just a president.

I'm still trying to get accustomed to saying IN-shurance rather than in-SHUR-ance. "Y'all" pops out of my mouth every so often without me thinking about it.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 11:35:56 AM »
In an earlier stage of my career, I did software support over the phone with a technical customer base.  Not a week went by that somebody from Canadia  =D asked me if I was from Texas, or someone from the northeast corridor miss heard my first name and called me Mark instead of Mike.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
I heard a professor say "corpse-man" instead of "corpsman". He wasn't a constitutional scholar, though. Just a president.

I heard someone call a radio show about that, and the caller and host both excoriated Obama for his ignorance. But it was clear that the host thought a corpsman was a Marine.  :facepalm:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »
Well, the branch is called the Marine Corps (pronounced "corpse", at least by BHO).

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
Actually, the Navy provides all the "corpse-men" for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.  Just sayin'.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
Back in 1961, I had just moved from a life in Texas to northern VA.  One day in english class the teacher was making fun of me because of the way I talked.  I replied that I was born and raised in Texas and apoligized for not speaking like a bunch of yankees.  Needless to say, I found out later that the teacher was from an old VA family who's relation fought on the side of the south.  I barely passed the class......chris3

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2012, 03:39:41 AM »
"Y'all" pops out of my mouth every so often without me thinking about it.

That type of thing happens to me from time to time, being married to a North Carolinian.  It's weird when it happens.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 09:30:22 AM »
I'm still trying to get accustomed to saying IN-shurance rather than in-SHUR-ance.

Y'all get used to sayne it right ventually  :lol:

Actually, I'm thinking that might be an Irish or Scots thing - in Gaelic the accent is always on the very first syllable  =|

I still say it that way.  I had it thick when we moved from TX to AZ when I was in 2nd grade, but I lost it after being teased.  Give me two weeks back down with my dad's side of the family though and I bet I would sound just like them again  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
Dick, you'll know you've completed assimilation when you use the plural form of y'all, all y'all.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »
I thought it was y'all y'all. That's what my neighbor says.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
My former aunt from Georgia insisted that Y'all IS plural and those that used it in regards to one person are grammatically incorrect.  :P
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
Having been born & raised north of the Mason-Dixon Line, by just a few miles, I've easily assimilated in my present location. I'm south of Richmond, VA, & east of Abbington, VA. I much prefer Y'all ( but not all y'all) to y'uns! And I like southern ladies!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
I thought it was y'all y'all. That's what my neighbor says.
Better check the southron card.  Sounds like Stolen Valor type of infraction.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
Y'all is only used to address more than one person unless you're just an inbred, backwoods,white trash, redneck, hick. And there are plenty of them down here. But there are also plain old Southern folk.

You come on over for dinner after church on Sunday. This addresses you only.
Y'all come on over for dinner after church on Sunday. This addresses you and your spouse or your spouse and kids.
All y'all come on over for dinner after church on Sunday. This addresses you, spouse, kids, and any inlaws, out of town guests, employees, etc., who might need to be included for whatever reason beyond who the invitation would normally include.

There are some Southern folk who might disagree with me, but they'll likely fall into that first category.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
Y'all is only used to address more than one person unless you're just an inbred, backwoods,white trash, redneck, hick. And there are plenty of them down here. But there are also plain old Southern folk.

You come on over for dinner after church on Sunday. This addresses you only.
Y'all come on over for dinner after church on Sunday. This addresses you and your spouse or your spouse and kids.
All y'all come on over for dinner after church on Sunday. This addresses you, spouse, kids, and any inlaws, out of town guests, employees, etc., who might need to be included for whatever reason beyond who the invitation would normally include.

There are some Southern folk who might disagree with me, but they'll likely fall into that first category.

Y'all is an extremely useful word. It supplies the distinct second person plural that is lacking in most other forms of english.

Also, of note, many linguists believe that the modern english dialect closest to Shakesperean English is the Southern dialect. I smile every time I think of that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
Y'all is an extremely useful word. It supplies the distinct second person plural that is lacking in most other forms of english.

Quite so. This is why I have adopted it.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:26 PM »
I thought I had 'yall' figured out until I stumbled across a new dimension of yall...the 'generic yall'.

Take for example the 'generic you', as in the following sentence:

"Have you ever ridden the Cenrifuge? They put you in this big thing and spin it, and you stick to the wall because of the centrifugal force".

or

"The cross country race is tough, because when you get down into the valley there is a lot of rocks, and you have to be on your toes"

Since these things are typically done by more than one person, the generic yall subs for the generic you:

"Have you ever ridden the Cenrifuge? They put yall in this big thing and spin it, and yall stick to the wall because of the centrifugal force".

"The cross country race is tough, because when yall get down into the valley there is a lot of rocks, and yall have to be on your toes"

The "yall" here is unknown. There is actually no implied others. The addressee can be perfectly alone, with no others in his group. There is no topical group of people who are referred to here. Its just that the cross country race and the centrifuge typically are done by more than one person (even multiple people spread over time). It's just the generic yall. Gets me every time.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2012, 11:26:50 PM »
Y'all need to learn to throw in a Howdy every now and then also just to confuse all the english nazis.  Of course, I think that might be more Texas or Western than Southern, but who knows.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
My former aunt from Georgia insisted that Y'all IS plural and those that used it in regards to one person are grammatically incorrect.  :P
Ah would agree with that though it still slips out anyway sometimes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
Y'all need to learn to throw in a Howdy every now and then

I'm fine, how are you?  

(it's my theory "howdy" is a contraction of "How do you do?")

BTW, when a real Southerner says "y'all", you barely notice it because it's subtle and it fits in the sentence.  When a Yankee says y'all to affect a fake Southern accent, it sticks out like a sore thumb.  But the worst is when someone like Paula Deen (from Georgia) lays it on extra thick, just hamming it up for the TV cameras.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2012, 04:30:19 AM »
(it's my theory "howdy" is a contraction of "How do you do?")

You are correct.
For the proper way to express the term and sentiment Minnie Pearl is the best example.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »
Howdy y'all!  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
Another southronism worthy of discussion involves concluding a conversation or dismissing one's self from a gathering.

Goodbye = See'ya.  The accent is on the first syllable