Author Topic: Suthern Accents  (Read 22546 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Suthern Accents
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »
And don't forget "Well, bless your heart!"  :lol:
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
You are correct.
For the proper way to express the term and sentiment Minnie Pearl is the best example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjX1LpSow_g&feature=related
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
Another southronism worthy of discussion involves concluding a conversation or dismissing one's self from a gathering.

Goodbye = See'ya.  The accent is on the first syllable

I.......don't think that's Southern.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »
And don't forget "Well, bless your heart!"

Near as I can tell, that can be mildly complimentary, or a "what an idiot" put-down.

For example, one person says, "Did you hear that Minnie drove her car into a tree while putting on makeup?"

Other person says, "Well, bless her heart."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
I'm fine, how are you?  

(it's my theory "howdy" is a contraction of "How do you do?")

BTW, when a real Southerner says "y'all", you barely notice it because it's subtle and it fits in the sentence.  When a Yankee says y'all to affect a fake Southern accent, it sticks out like a sore thumb.  But the worst is when someone like Paula Deen (from Georgia) lays it on extra thick, just hamming it up for the TV cameras.

Faked accents intended as mockery rarely compliment the speaker.  IMO, that is one of the problems with some modern country music. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
Depends on the skill of the fake accenter. I'm pretty good at a lot of different accents. Best I ever did was turn around to the guy behind me in the line to the Empire State building and do an exact fake of the "Tony the keeyab drivuh" Brooklyn accented guy recording you listen to spiel off facts while you're,,,standing in the line waiting to go into The Empire State Building. Cracked him right up. =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »
Bad fakes: Olympia Dukakis and Shirley McClain in Steel Magnolias.  Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump.  Michael Caine in Secondhand Lions.  Really REALLY grates on the nerves of a native Southerner.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »
My version of "bad fakes" was more directed at people who think they are mocking someone else with an accent.  Usually, the mocker has a pretty thick accent themselves. 

I guess Houston has so many transplants you get exposed to a lot of them.  I guess that is common in the larger cities in Texas.  The only accents I typically see mocked by natives are the Indian and Middle Eastern.  Easy targets I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
Bad fakes: Olympia Dukakis and Shirley McClain in Steel Magnolias.  Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump.  Michael Caine in Secondhand Lions.  Really REALLY grates on the nerves of a native Southerner.

There can't be a worse faux Southern accent than Nick Cage in Con Air.

And Tom Hanks was trying to sound like a retarded Southerner. That's redundant, of course. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
Redundancy would be Tom Hanks trying to sound like a retarded Tom Hanks.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »

And Tom Hanks was trying to sound like a retarded Southerner. That's redundant, of course. :P
He sounded nothing like sling blade
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.