Author Topic: Swamp People hater!  (Read 3353 times)

dm1333

• friend
Swamp People hater!
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/12/12705867-lost-star-dominic-monaghan-slams-swamp-people?lite

If my hero #steveirwin was around those shows about killing alligators wouldn't be on tv. I'm gonna stop them. Watch this space," Monaghan tweeted on Wednesday. "If alligator populations need to be controlled I understand but the act should not be glorified on tv.disgusting.These are living creatures."

Though the actor received some heat from his followers for his thoughts on "Swamp People," he seemed to take it all in stride. "I genuinely love haters.they hone my skills.they teach me things.they make me smile.they help me change.i love love interacting with them," Monaghan tweeted.

I'd like to lock Troy and this guy in a room for an hour and see what happens!

I wish "Swamp People" showed a little bit more about the business side of alligator hunting and more about how some of them live off the land as much as possible (like the two brothers with the ZZ Top beards, one of whom died recently) but this guy seems way out in left field.  I'm also a fan of "Mountain Men" but I would love some more background info and a little less of the drama.  Wonder what Monaghan would say about the hunting and trapping on "Mountain Men"?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Swamp People hater!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
Merry has evidently never eaten alligator tail.

We've been watching Mountain Men too. I really like Tom in Montana - seems like a genuine guy, and it comes through even with all the History Channel scripting. I always feel sorry for the guy in Alaska. I like to think the show makes him out to be more of a bumbler than he is, because I don't see how someone who has that many mishaps in -30 weather could still be alive. The guy in North Carolina kinda gets on my nerves with his philosophical blurbs. He always makes it seem like his life is way tougher than that of the other two guys, who actually live where there are real environmental extremes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
What in the swamp are you people talking about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Swamp People is just a stand in until the new season of Duck Dynasty starts.

As to alligators, Monaghan's an idiot. It's a hunting season, just like deer season, turkey season, etc., and it keeps the population under control. So they made a tv show of it. Well duh. I can't see "Deer People" being all that entertaining as a potential reality show. But shhhhhh. We don't want to give the History Channel any ideas.

Folks like him need to be taken out to the swamp, armed with a 2-inch pocket knife, and left on their own for a week. See how they feel about alligator hunting then.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
<Pokes head up>

Deer People?!?!?

I'm in !!!!

P.S.  Love the avatar MrsSmith.... ;) =D =D :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »
Merry has evidently never eaten alligator tail.

:facepalm:  I knew he looked familiar!  It makes sense now, Merry was the b*tch of the 4 hobbits.

The guy in North Carolina kinda gets on my nerves with his philosophical blurbs. He always makes it seem like his life is way tougher than that of the other two guys, who actually live where there are real environmental extremes.

I don't care for his philosophical blubs either but it is cool that he is trying to live the way he is.  I can see myself trying that to a lesser extent in eastern TN.  But I would wash my pants more.  And not grow long hair.  The guy in AK can't be that much of a bumbler in real life but it was pretty funny when he ran over his glasses with his snow machine.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
<Pokes head up>

Deer People?!?!?

I'm in !!!!

P.S.  Love the avatar MrsSmith.... ;) =D =D :P

'Bout damn time someone noticed.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »

I don't care for his philosophical blubs either but it is cool that he is trying to live the way he is.  I can see myself trying that to a lesser extent in eastern TN.  But I would wash my pants more.  And not grow long hair.  The guy in AK can't be that much of a bumbler in real life but it was pretty funny when he ran over his glasses with his snow machine.

I actually think the area where he lives is pretty cool, and the primitive "hydroelectric" setup he has for the sawmill is pretty interesting (though it could use some easy improvements to become more reliable). Some stuff he does is pretty weird, like the freakin' barn that is sorta held together like dominoes. You could see the whole structure sway when they were sticking more wood in to reinforce that one corner. Use some dang hardware dude!

And yeah, who didn't see the eyeglass / snowmobile incident coming?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
the freakin' barn that is sorta held together like dominoes. You could see the whole structure sway when they were sticking more wood in to reinforce that one corner. Use some dang hardware dude!

That's what baling twine and ductape is for  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »

I thought that one of the mods had changed it for you, and I was waiting for YOU to notice... :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »

Oh...avatar....please don't tell the wife I just smacked her iPad 1,237 times with my shoe....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
Oh...avatar....please don't tell the wife I just smacked her iPad 1,237 times with my shoe....

I would have thrown it 1,237 feet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »

Choot it!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:07 AM »
Why do they use subtitles on swamp people?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 05:30:05 AM »
Why do they use subtitles on swamp people?

I believe some of your more urban types might have trouble understanding swamp/cajun/frenglish.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:48:28 PM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
Yeah. It's the leftist/liberal assumption that no one of their class could understand redneck hick talk.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
Yeah. It's the leftist/liberal assumption that no one of their class could understand redneck hick talk.

Huh?  I don't quite get what you're saying there...
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
Not everything is a liberal conspiracy. The producers probably thought subtitles would be beneficial given the dialect. You have to figure not all of their audience are native American English speakers.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine