Author Topic: Swedish Woman, 75, Gets 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection  (Read 1250 times)

Desertdog

• friends
I bet the computer nerds would love this connection speed.

Swedish Woman, 75, Gets Superfast Net 

Jul 18 01:13 PM US/Eastern
By LOUISE NORDSTROM
Associated Press Writer       
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QF4KV81&show_article=1

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed.
Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computermany thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
I need that connection. For research purposes, of course.  grin
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Nick1911

• Administrator

Amen.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Crikeys, and I'd be happy with a T3......
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MattC

• friend
You guys don't have one of these already?  Pull yourselves out of the stone age.

I am incredibly jealous...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Actually, the scary part is next to come...

This weekend she's getting a web cam.

Next week, www.nakedswedishgranny.com will debut...

I'm almost scared to check that that domain may already be registered...

Blog under construction

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
welcome to 2012
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

To a single PC?  Na.  There's no NIC on the planet that could handle it.  Should the NIC handle it, the bus won't.  (Think the connection between all the stuff inside your computer.)  Only thing that could handle it would be a gigantic router, which would break up the stream for other routers and/or layer 3 switches.  I've seen pipes that could do 40 gbit per vlan, no compression. 

Sounds nice, but it's not useful for home equipment.  Probably just a PR stunt.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

The Viking

Probably just a PR stunt.
Bingo. From what I've read, thats the idea with it. To show it is possible. It would have been nice to get it myself though cheesy

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
No duh... As PR, it's pretty cool.

I could see applications where the connection could serve apartment buildings, neighborhoods, etc... Think "network of wireless routers around the city" kinda stuff...

Blog under construction

Desertdog

• friends
I need that connection. For research purposes, of course. 
I read that research purposes was why they are working on this kind of speed.  The idea is to interconnect research facilities to each other so they can exchange massive amounts of data in a very short time.  As little as I know about the real world of computers, it seems to me that you would need one of those super computers to utilize these speeds.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Actually, the scary part is next to come...

This weekend she's getting a web cam.

Next week, www.nakedswedishgranny.com will debut...

I'm almost scared to check that that domain may already be registered...

Hey! Page Not Found! What a rip! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
As little as I know about the real world of computers, it seems to me that you would need one of those super computers to utilize these speeds.

Or the inverse.  Thousands of much smaller computers.

Bingo. From what I've read, thats the idea with it. To show it is possible. It would have been nice to get it myself though

Uhm..  Wasn't aware it was never not possible.   Just pair enough fiber optics, and have something on each end fast enough to decode the signal.  There's technically no difference between this connect and the fiber patch cables you're likely to find in any location with more than a hundred computers.  Just scale.  Instead of one pair between switches or routers, use a dozen.  Or a hundred. 

Problem is, even with a 40 gbit pipe (or any sized pipe out to and including infinity), is not the connection nearly as much as the backbone.  The telecom industry has NOT kept up with the level of infrastructure expension they are mandated to provide.  Telecoms are essentially at their core a utility.  As quasi monopoly utilities, the FCC rides herd on them.  Their govt enforced monopoly gets them benefits (including guarenteed profits) in return for restrictions (including manditory instrastructure). 

You'd honestly be surprised how much dark fiber exists in the US.  Let's not even touch the lack of wavelength-division multiplexing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
If I recall, a few years ago, about 2/3rds of the fiber running between St Cloud, MN and Minneapolis was "dark". (I-94 corridor) There was some talk about running fiber along the HWY 10 corridor from Mpls to St Cloud, MN, but I don't know whatever became of that.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

BakerMikeRomeo

Anatomy research, maybe..

~BakerMike