Author Topic: Why it's been so hot this summer.  (Read 1006 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Why it's been so hot this summer.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
Gigglesnort.

Mid 60's in Minnesota right now as I type this.  When I lived here as a kid in the 90's, it would be 80+ normally by June.

Temps seem lower right now, nationwide, IMO.

But it couldn't possibly have anything to do with that big fireball in the sky and a 20-25 cycle of high/low output.  Nah.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/science/earth/what-to-make-of-a-climate-change-plateau.html?_r=0

For the lulz, give it a read.

Premise:  Evil climate skeptics say globular warming is over, but we think the ocean is warming.  We don't have any actual, you know, data... but we can't lose our political inertia so let's stand still and spend more research money on ocean-centered globular warming studies so we can keep our government jobs we get a better picture of what's going on.

That way, the skeptics have to spend matching money on counter-research to bebunk us, and we'll have a head start on them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
El Nino/La Nina also effects US continental weather to a great detail.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
El Nino/La Nina also effects US continental weather to a great detail.

I don't doubt that temperature variations happen, Charby.  And the effect of the ocean in contributing to US weather is certainly well documented.

But the linked article claims heat spikes and plateaus, but never mentions drops.  Despite the fear of globular cooling in the 70's following the "plateau" mentioned in the article in the late 60's and early 70's.  And no mention of the fact that the data gathering substations used for the last 75-100 years have had concrete heat islands build up around them, interfering with proper controls in an experiment and contributing to increase in the temperature gathered at that site.

ETA: I'm of the opinion that the data for the last 100 years needs to be completely discarded.  And if not, then it needs a nice big asterisk next to it to indicate its suspect nature.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:31:03 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
I personally think this cool wet spring is tied to a neutral phase in the nino/nina phenomenon.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
ETA: I'm of the opinion that the data for the last 100 years needs to be completely discarded.  And if not, then it needs a nice big asterisk next to it to indicate its suspect nature.

I think there needs to be at least a 1000 years of data to predict annual climate trends.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 02:16:27 PM »
I think there needs to be at least a 1000 years of data to predict annual climate trends.

Agreed.  A century is a blink of the eye, when dealing with variations of energy input/output on the scale of planets and stars, and volcanic events or solar flares can skew your data inside of small windows.
--Lysander Spooner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »
You mean like an accurate baseline of what things were like prior to the little ice age? I still contend that the massive coal/wood particulate emissions of the early industrial revolution had way more of an impact, probably in the direction of cooling.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »
You mean like an accurate baseline of what things were like prior to the little ice age? I still contend that the massive coal/wood particulate emissions of the early industrial revolution had way more of an impact, probably in the direction of cooling.

Industrial Revolution happened after most of mini ice age.

Mini Ice Age: 1250-1850

Industrial Revolution 1760-1840

Uranus is a gas giant.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
The vikings did get chased out of Greenland in the 1300's because of cooling...

Once the temps of the last 1000 years are figured in the climate change people start to look like flaming ideologically driven fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »
The vikings did get chased out of Greenland in the 1300's because of cooling...

Once the temps of the last 1000 years are figured in the climate change people start to look like flaming ideologically driven fools.

Yep, the Atlantic Ice cap started growing/expanding in the 1200's.

Uranus is a gas giant.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »
 [popcorn]
Its not summer here, its spring.
Even though last week it was over 100 degree's .
A nice cool 80 degree's right now.
We had a monsoon in the black rock desert last night - with a cool electrical strm.
 =D
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »
One of the few things I truly miss about the desert is the thunderstorms and the lightning shows that accompanied them. That and decent Mexican food.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
Watch out for derecho, all of us in flyover country need to stay home for the rest of the week.

Uranus is a gas giant.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
One of the few things I truly miss about the desert is the thunderstorms and the lightning shows that accompanied them. That and decent Mexican food.

Back home, Kansas, we got those. I really do miss them. They could be really great. I remember when I was younger I would stay up with my window open and watch and smell in the smells they would bring.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »

"El Niño is Spanish for -

- the Niño!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife