Author Topic: ACHTUNG, Grammar Nazis.  (Read 6879 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: ACHTUNG, Grammar Nazis.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
It's ironic that I'm now nauseous and bemused after I was compelled to peruse the enormity of that terrific travesy.

But this conversate is redundant.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
I don't know what grammer nazi's have to do with it. This is vocabulary.

How do I know this? Because I actually knew most of those. Conversate (didn't even know that was a word. Oh wait! It's not!) nausous and enormity I would have been wrong.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Knew all of those except 3, 9, and 10. How is nonplussed not on that list? 'Tis a travesty, I say!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
Except that English, like the Constitution, is a living thing that changes and evolves over time.

One of those is correct.  The other is a terrific nauseous travesty.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Levant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »
Except that English, like the Constitution, is a living thing that changes and evolves over time.

One of those is correct.  The other is a terrific nauseous travesty.

stay safe.

Words come and go.  Grammar and the language does not, or should not, change. Unchecked change in our language will soon result in IM shortcuts being the standard for language.  As more and more parents emulate their babies and excuse it as "well, the baby wanted to say it that way," we'll all soon be speaking baby talk.

As the language changes, soon no one will understand the meaning of the words in the Constitution - and you were, I hope, being facetious when you said it was a living document?
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
Words come and go.  Grammar and the language does not, or should not, change. Unchecked change in our language will soon result in IM shortcuts being the standard for language.  As more and more parents emulate their babies and excuse it as "well, the baby wanted to say it that way," we'll all soon be speaking baby talk.

As the language changes, soon no one will understand the meaning of the words in the Constitution - and you were, I hope, being facetious when you said it was a living document?

I wonder what Chaucer would think of modern english as it currently stands.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:59:09 PM »

It rather appears that there is no one in the .gov even today who understands the Constitution.

As to the vocabulary link, I knew nine out of the nine. And I knew that "conversate" isn't a word (yet -shudder). Reminds me of one of my grandfather's pet peeves: "irregardless" (which is also not a word -- yet).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:37:28 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
http://hellogiggles.com/10-words-that-youve-probably-been-misusing

If you-all don't think words in English change meaning over time, you-all needs to read more King James Bible.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Tfbeqyu2U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's a starting point for all you irrate language purists.

Let's face it. The English langage basically goes out and rapes other languages, steals all the good stuff and bastardises everything its got.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 11:27:09 PM »
I wonder what Chaucer would think of modern english as it currently stands.

Had to read his Canterbury Tales in the original middle english in a college class.

I never could quite get a grip on how that language was supposed to sound ...
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »
Words come and go.  Grammar and the language does not, or should not, change. Unchecked change in our language will soon result in IM shortcuts being the standard for language.  As more and more parents emulate their babies and excuse it as "well, the baby wanted to say it that way," we'll all soon be speaking baby talk.

"Facetious" is not nearly the most appropriate word, but rather than debate semantics we will agree that the fit is good enough.

Grammar changes over time, just as the words do.  Unless you are The French, who seem more than willing to sweep back the tide.

Else how to you account for the change from "a couple of" to "a couple" - as in "I have a couple of examples" vs. "I have a couple examples"?  Or from "going over to" into "going over" - as in "I am going over to Levant's house" as opposed to "I am going over Levant's house"?  (The first time I heard that construction I actually stopped the speaker and asked how and when they had mastered levetation (as opposed to "levitation", which I have recently read in a supposedly professional journal article discussing the use of humor in public speaking :facepalm:).  Or my current nails-on-chalkboard construction - "in connection to" instead of "in connection with" (the police are reviewing security video in connection to the recent ___ ).

These are not mere vocabulary changes, but structural changes in the language - the grammar.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar

Every generation, from Ug and Oog to the present day, has caused their elders to bemoan the decline of language and thus the very fabric of civilization as we know it.  Yaska (see Wiki reference above) seems to have been the first to set the grammar in stone.  We all know how that turned out, don't we?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »
I knew them all...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
After reading that, I have to say, I'm in awe at the enormity of Obama's actions . . . what a TERRIFIC President . . .

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 10:37:42 AM »
I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, but I will allow for the fact that word usage changes over time.  If enough people use terrific to mean great then eventually that becomes an acceptable usage of the word.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, but I will allow for the fact that word usage changes over time.  If enough people use terrific to mean great then eventually that becomes an acceptable usage of the word.

^^^ This.  Language is just a medium of communication.  What words mean is defined by culture; there's nothing sacred about them.  Every word we use and how we use them was at one point defined arbitrarily by a person or group.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
Did not know about number 3 or 10.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »

Even grammar usage will change over time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
Even grammar usage will change over time.

Well, otz my bodkins!!!!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
And rodger your blumpkins.

I should have noted that grammar rules tend to change a LOT more slowly than word usage.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

I think "terrific" as meaning "great" falls under the same rule as "cool" as meaning "great". It's an alteration that decends from slang useage.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
I think "terrific" as meaning "great" falls under the same rule as "cool" as meaning "great". It's an alteration that decends from slang useage.

Shiny!  :cool:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »