Author Topic: Tort bar shuts down gas can manufacturer  (Read 31175 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Tort bar shuts down gas can manufacturer
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
I found myself in a Wal-Mart this afternoon. There was NO handgun ammo in the case, so I bethought myself of this thread and went looking at gas "cans." 5-gallon red plastic = $19.95 in the auto department. Made of HDPE.

Meandering over to the sporting goods department, I found a 6-gallon water container for $9.95. Also made of HDPE. For what it's worth, I felt (subjectively) that the plastic in the gasoline container was perhaps a bit thicker, but I had no way to weigh, measure or objectively compare. And the gas container had a longer nozzle.

The price for gas cans has effectively doubled since blitz went out of biz. Probably the difference represents an insurance increase.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
I found myself in a Wal-Mart this afternoon. There was NO handgun ammo in the case, so I bethought myself of this thread and went looking at gas "cans." 5-gallon red plastic = $19.95 in the auto department. Made of HDPE.

Meandering over to the sporting goods department, I found a 6-gallon water container for $9.95. Also made of HDPE. For what it's worth, I felt (subjectively) that the plastic in the gasoline container was perhaps a bit thicker, but I had no way to weigh, measure or objectively compare. And the gas container had a longer nozzle.

We just bought a couple 6 gallon plastic water jugs (for water).  Except for color they look very similar to the gas jugs we bought some years ago.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »
On a garage forum? Wow. Bet he thinks adding alcohol to gas is a good idea too.........

I have wondered if the "pouring gas on a fire and burning oneself" events happened before, or after, the mandate for the new and improved unusable spouts? iow-- were they a direct result of making the cans clumsy to operate? 

The unfortunate thing about that forum is there are quite a few leftists on there who do not understand personal responsibility. They also love the unions and hate capitalism. Idiots.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »

I'm sure it varies by can. The nozzle in the water can I posted the link for is at least twice as long as the near-useless nub sticking out of my current plastic gas can. My plastic gas can also used to be 1.5 gallons, but I'd be surprised if it holds more than half a gallon now. Cold snap with it mostly empty crushed it good.

I asked Santa for a new metal jerry can that ought to stop my complaining.  :P

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »
We just bought a couple 6 gallon plastic water jugs (for water).  Except for color they look very similar to the gas jugs we bought some years ago.

In many places it is unlawful to put gas in a water can.  Or any "uncertified" container.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
In many places it is unlawful to put gas in a water can.  Or any "uncertified" container.

We didn't buy them for gas, but sounds like a good opportunity for civil disobedience.  >:D

Do they have special SWAT teams to enforce this  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
I know you are joking, but the EPA actually does have a Tactical Team so gas cans that emit extra vapor could be enforced by SWAT.

FWIW, I use fuel cans for fuel and water cans for water religiously because I really don't want to have mixed the two up when I need fuel or water.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »
The unfortunate thing about that forum is there are quite a few leftists on there who do not understand personal responsibility. They also love the unions and hate capitalism. Idiots.

Great opportunity- you can challenge them to design a gas can that can be used to pour gas directly onto a fire without risk- and ask them to do a video presentation! =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
Great opportunity- you can challenge them to design a gas can that can be used to pour gas directly onto a fire without risk- and ask them to do a video presentation! =D

They get triple points if on tape, they say 'Hold my beer and watch this' right before the pouring part of the demo!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2013, 11:01:29 AM »
FWIW, I use fuel cans for fuel and water cans for water religiously because I really don't want to have mixed the two up when I need fuel or water.

I used to do the same, but when my "certified" gas container has such a stubby nozzle I can't pour gas into a vehicle, requires 3 hands to operate, and irreversibly collapses to a third of it's original volume if it gets cold when not full, I'm done with certified containers.

Not hard to mark a "water" can with some spray paint to indicate it doesn't have water in it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
Not hard to mark a "water" can with some spray paint to indicate it doesn't have water in it.

We have the technology  =)