Author Topic: Tort bar shuts down gas can manufacturer  (Read 31176 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Tort bar shuts down gas can manufacturer
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »
Unless the gas can actually said "Safe for pouring directly on fire.", then anyone (and their lawyer) suing should be mocked out of the courtroom (and beaten to within an inch of their lives).

Getting tired of the parasitic class having their way.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:43 AM »
Hope Glock isn't next!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/25/paralyzed-cop-suing-glock-after-his-3-year-old-son-shot-him/

Off duty copy leaves his loaded Glock 21 under the seat of his truck, his 3 year old (not in a car seat) finds the gun and shoots the guy leaving him paralyzed.  This is somehow Glock's fault according to the lawsuit.

Enrique Chavez’s lawsuit claimed that the Glock 21 had a light trigger and lacked a grip saftey, both of which could have prevented the shooting.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »
You know what else could have prevented the shooting?  Not leaving a loaded firearm where your child could reach it.  Dumbass.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
Or we could just store it in glass jars and plastic bags, if they're going to make it that hard to manufacture appropriate containers. 
And when people do just that and come to grief, the manufacturers of glass jars and plastic bags will be sued, since it was reasonably forseeable that someone might do so. (And they'll cite YOUR post as evidence of that.) Ball, Ziploc, Glad . . . all will go down under an avalanche of lawsuits.

And it will be fistful's fault.

Again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
You can have my gas can when you pry it from my black charred hands =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
You can have my gas can when you pry it from my blackened charred hands =D

FTFY
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
http://www.fox23.com/mostpopular/story/blitz-usa-dontaye-carter-gas/ejMadgmeiEq1hE6vvQJCkw.cspx

Link to story on them closing. 

Blitz USA told FOX23, after they settled two law suits, one for $5-million and the other for $10-million, there were 26 more cases filed in a matter of months by the same law firms.

Sharks Lawyers smelled the blood in the water.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
Went to Lowes today.  Gallon plastic gas can . . . .20 bucks.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

Empty one gallon plastic Clorox bottle ... Free

Recycling ... Priceless  =D

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
http://www.fox23.com/mostpopular/story/blitz-usa-dontaye-carter-gas/ejMadgmeiEq1hE6vvQJCkw.cspx

Blitz USA told FOX23, after they settled two law suits, one for $5-million and the other for $10-million, there were 26 more cases filed in a matter of months by the same law firms.

That's why smart companies never settle (even when they should.)  They drag the case out endlessly with procedural delays until the plaintiff runs out of money or dies.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »

That's why smart companies never settle (even when they should.)  They drag the case out endlessly with procedural delays until the plaintiff runs out of money or dies.

Oh, I see that you are not familiar with contemporary class action litigation.  The successful plaintiff law firms in this area are extremely well funded and you likely cannot outspend them.  As I like to remind people, John Edwards was a multi-millionaire many times over from his malpractice cases, as were the tobacco or asbestos plaintiff lawfirms.  The plaintiff is not paying the tab as the case goes along since the lawfirm is advancing the costs.  The case continues after the plaintiff dies, and the estate is substituted as the plaintiff.  

Insurance companies with commercial liability policies generally retain the right to settle and do not need the consent of the insured.  If they figure that it is better for the insured and/or cheaper for the insurance company to settle, they will do so.  There can be other reasons to drag out cases with procedural delays, but trying to break the back of the plaintiff financially in a big class action lawsuit is generally not one of them.  

Your comments may have some validity when dealing with individual plaintiffs in garden-variety personal injury cases.  But not the mass class action sort of cases.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »

Funny how that works.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
When the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Firearms Act was introduced, I wondered why it was not expanded to protect the manufacturer of ANY product from being sued for stupid misuse of said products.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »
When the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Firearms Act was introduced, I wondered why it was not expanded to protect the manufacturer of ANY product from being sued for stupid misuse of said products.

There are too many vested interests in keeping the current system. It is not a coincidence that both the plaintiff and defense bars are amongst the largest contributors to state and federal campaigns.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
A year or two ago I bought a couple of 5gallon blitz gas cans, about 8 bucks- just looked in Fred Meyer the other brand cans were 18 . No blitz to be seen.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »
We'd probably be a lot better off if we relied on non-binding promises from companies not to make profits from activities that hurt people.   That'd be way more effective than the tort system, because companies tend to be nice, and won't harm others to make a profit.

Of course you'd be the only person on this board that can't realize the difference between complete bullshit lawsuits brought by idiots vs. legitimate lawsuits...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 05:35:41 AM »
Of course you'd be the only person on this board that can't realize the difference between complete bullshit lawsuits brought by idiots vs. legitimate lawsuits...

Oh yeah, wouldn't know much about that, not as much as folks whose understanding of the tort system comes from msnbc and holliday in stays next to the state house  ;/
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26:51 AM »
Oh yeah, wouldn't know much about that, not as much as folks whose understanding of the tort system comes from msnbc and holliday in stays next to the state house  ;/

*Holiday Inn
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 08:00:05 AM »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
There are too many vested interests in keeping the current system. It is not a coincidence that both the plaintiff and defense bars are amongst the largest contributors to state and federal campaigns.
The problem is showing that how they used the can would be misuse.  But I agree that govt and juries need to be more careful about rewarding complete stupidity. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »
First, we get cans that work. Then we get cans with no vent, that have a "vent" in the spout, so they take forever to empty, then we get cans with the "three hand" valve that virtually guarantees a spill, and now, we get no cans.

Anybody else notice a trend? If it works, we can't have it.

I just had a  thought- This is Darwinism, but in reverse- All the competent folks are having to pay the penalty for the idiots, and the idiots (or their survivors) are compensated well for being fools. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
I just had a  thought- This is Darwinism, but in reverse- All the competent folks are having to pay the penalty for the idiots, and the idiots (or their survivors) are compensated well for being fools.

Yep, that's pretty much it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 12:19:12 AM »
Glad I have 2 x 5 gal cans for remote trips in the truck and a 1 gal can for the lawnmower.

Empty one gallon plastic Clorox bottle ... Free

Recycling ... Priceless  =D

Until you get cited by The Man for using an unapproved container for carrying fuel.

"We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them...you create a nation of lawbreakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Until you get cited by The Man for using an unapproved container for carrying fuel.

I'm a traditionalist.  I'm thinking of growing a mustache.

=D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
I'm a traditionalist.  I'm thinking of growing a mustache.

=D

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:33:28 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!