Author Topic: Toyota moving to Dallas area  (Read 1405 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Toyota moving to Dallas area
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
I love this re-headline by Iowahawkblog (Via twitter)
Rick Perry takes Jerry Brown's lunch money, shoves him into book locker

http://t.co/LGNh5SAAZt
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Toyota moving to Dallas area
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood. And no, that's not just a mote in your eye, Governor Moonbeam... :P
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
Heh!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
Sad to see the Northern Kentucky area take a hit of 1,600 jobs.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »
Sad to see the Northern Kentucky area take a hit of 1,600 jobs.

What, how?  Nothing in the article about Kentucky losing jobs.  Just CA. losing the Toyota US HQ to TX.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
What, how?  Nothing in the article about Kentucky losing jobs.  Just CA. losing the Toyota US HQ to TX.

Remember the coasts don't know that fly over country exists.

http://c.bizjournals.com/ct/c/70714741/NTI0Mjc0NTE6OjIwNjIyNzYx
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
Welcome to the neighborhood. And no, that's not just a mote in your eye, Governor Moonbeam...

Frankly, it amazes me that so many companies will stay physically located in a place with a hostile economic climate when they ship nationwide anyway.  Some have used the excuse that that's where the skills are, but really, skills will generally go where the job is, especially if it's in an area with lower cost of living at the same standards, and often higher pay since the company isn't spending as much on property and taxes.

Locally, we've got a major abrasive products company and a major oilfield products company.  Both ship all over the country, and it doesn't cost any more to send product out of here than it does to send it from Dallas, or over land from Houston.  The oilfield company has a Houston warehouse for easy access to the ship channel, but just the real estate the production facility sits on would cost 5-6 times as much down there.  Hot shots and full truckloads are actually faster, since the truck is on a major US highway 3 minutes after leaving the site, and out of town within ten minutes.  From here to Houston, the only place they're likely to hit traffic is Austin.

Down the road in the next similarly sized (15-30,000) city, 3M and Kohler have big production facilities for pretty much the same reasons.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
The mayor of Torrance CA blames California's state government for losing Toyota:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101625195

He pointed to a number of issues in the Golden State that negatively affect companies' bottom line: tax structure, workers' compensation and liability insurance.

Bottom line: it's becoming too expensive for many businesses to be in California.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
I've heard stories of the CA legislature talking about passing laws to penalize companies for leaving.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »
I've heard stories of the CA legislature talking about passing laws to penalize companies for leaving.

It wouldn't surprise me. 

Doesn't New Jersey have some sort of  leaving-the-state tax?
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:30 PM »
So . . . they hired Wesley Mouch?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
So . . . they hired bred, nurtured, and indoctrinated Wesley Mouch and then gave him a .gov job in service to his alma mater?

FTFY.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch